Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Hard Times in Dronetown (Beyond the Dome, #0.1)
This topic is about Hard Times in Dronetown
Serieses! > Please add series name and number to Hard Times in Dronetown

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jackson (last edited Aug 07, 2015 06:40PM) (new) - added it

Jackson Dean Chase (jacksondeanchase) | 11 comments Hi, please add the series name and book number to "Hard Times in Dronetown," which is Book 0 (Zero) in the Beyond the Dome series that includes Book 1: Drone. I tried to do this myself, but when I clicked the "add new series" link, it took me to some random unrelated page that had nothing to do with me or my books. Thank you!

Here's the link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael Korleone (michaelkorleone) | 3881 comments Done :)

message 3: by Jackson (new) - added it

Jackson Dean Chase (jacksondeanchase) | 11 comments Thank you!

message 4: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13747 comments On GR, #0 is not used for books. I have changed it to #0.5 instead.

message 5: by Jackson (new) - added it

Jackson Dean Chase (jacksondeanchase) | 11 comments I object to the "0.5" change on the grounds that it is not the correct numbering. What happens if I write Book 0.5 in the future? That could confuse readers.

I suggest GR implement changes to allow for more numerical freedom of expression in series numbering. Surely I'm not the only author with a Book 0 in their series?

In the meantime, please share what GR's current series numbering guidelines are, if there are any beyond "no Book 0." Thanks!

message 6: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13747 comments There is nothing about it in the manual, it is more "case law" so to speak. As a new librarian I once added a book as #0 and it was changed by Rivka to 0.5. I don't have time to go through the discussions to find that particular one, but I did find this: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... (message #115-116)

I could change the number to 0.1 if you prefer?

message 7: by Jackson (new) - added it

Jackson Dean Chase (jacksondeanchase) | 11 comments Thanks. It's still not accurate, but if "0.1" is the only thing you can do, go ahead. I agree it would prevent any future prequel numbering issues.

But I am confused how one librarian can make it "Book 0" and then another can change it, and there is no written rule on the issue. I looked last night, and it was showing up fine as Book #0 on GR. I didn't click the link to see if it showed the series correctly, however. Is that something you checked before making the change? I'd appreciate it if you could double-check that, or escalate this matter to the Head Librarian or whoever makes the ultimate decisions?

Ideally, I'd like to have my series numbered accurately across GR and all sites to avoid reader confusion. Thanks again! I appreciate your help.

message 8: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13747 comments Have changed it to 0.1. Also found an interesting discussion (I'll be saving that for future reference): https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Rivka says that #0 is reserved for full-length prequels, shorter prequels (such as Hard Times...) get a fractional number.

Hope this helps a bit :)

message 9: by Jackson (last edited Aug 08, 2015 08:52AM) (new) - added it

Jackson Dean Chase (jacksondeanchase) | 11 comments Thanks. For the record, I do believe series numbering should be dictated by the author, not GR. Shouldn't what's on the cover take precedence?

message 10: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13747 comments Well, no. GR is a very large database maintained by many users, and needs to have a standard to keep it from turning into chaos. Shorter works in a series get a fractional number, and are added as non-primary works.

Same with author names. Many authors would like to see spaces between their initials, or no dots, or their titles (like PhD) added after their name, as it appears on their covers. It is imperative that author names are added according to GR rules in order to prevent duplication.

message 11: by Jackson (new) - added it

Jackson Dean Chase (jacksondeanchase) | 11 comments OK. Thanks for your help!

message 12: by Jackson (new) - added it

Jackson Dean Chase (jacksondeanchase) | 11 comments Question... Why isn't "Hard Times in Dronetown" showing up in the Beyond the Dome series on my Author page, but does show up when I click the series name? Is it because it's a short story ("0.1"), not a full book?

Here's my page (scroll down to series):

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...

message 13: by Philip (new)

Philip (burnnerman) | 5913 comments #12 - Yes that would be correct, only primary works show on the Author page as part of the series.

message 14: by Jackson (new) - added it

Jackson Dean Chase (jacksondeanchase) | 11 comments OK, thanks!