Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

The Subtle Knife (His Dark Materials, #2)
This topic is about The Subtle Knife
Book Cover Help > Glitch with 'The Subtle Knife' cover image

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pam (new) - rated it 2 stars

Pam Baddeley | 207 comments Hello, I was going to do a review having just read this, and saw that the edition I have (this one) is shown with an image of the BACK cover when seen as a thumbnail, and if you go into the book page, the cover is not visible at all. The front cover has an image of the subtle knife of the title, on a green background. I have taken a photo that I could upload if necessary, and if I knew how, as I obviously don't have permission to change this book myself. Thanks, Pam.

message 2: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13731 comments You can upload a photo to your profile and a librarian can grab it from there. Nowadays the link to upload is hidden underneath your recent updates.

Would it also be possible to take a photo of the back cover and/or a "wraparound" photo, so we can see that the image shown here is indeed the back cover? Thanks!

message 3: by Pam (new) - rated it 2 stars

Pam Baddeley | 207 comments lethe wrote: "You can upload a photo to your profile and a librarian can grab it from there. Nowadays the link to upload is hidden underneath your recent updates.

Would it also be possible to take a photo of th..."

Hi Lethe, I will try to take a wrapround photo shortly. I did look on my profile under the updates and couldn't see any obvious link though to allow me to upload a picture. The only link I could see is 'more of Pam's books...' which goes to my books page.

message 4: by lethe (last edited Aug 10, 2015 06:49AM) (new)

lethe | 13731 comments For another author who had uploaded a photo, the link appeared under '[X.]'s recent updates'. Do you see a link there? (They apparently moved it recently for whatever reason. It used to be much more visible, under the author's photo/avatar.)

Sorry, you already answered in the negative. In that case I have no idea.

ETA Posted a question in the Feedback group about this: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 5: by Pam (new) - rated it 2 stars

Pam Baddeley | 207 comments Hi Lethe

I looked at the feedback entry but afraid I couldn't really understand what was meant. I haven't yet uploaded a photo to my author profile, but certainly don't want to do that here - looked and it would have to be a picture of me that I was uploading.

I couldn't find out any reference to masked user profile in the help.

message 6: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13731 comments Yes, I have no idea either. I know there used to be a link right under people's author avatar, on author pages that didn't look any different from yours now. The author I referred to in message #4 also said that the procedure had changed.

I asked for directions in the Feedback thread.

message 7: by Pam (last edited Aug 10, 2015 11:15AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Pam Baddeley | 207 comments If they mean the actual user profile you start off with before creating the author one, I looked under the settings for that and can't see anywhere to upload a photo. I've read that you can have a separate user photo from author photo or have the 2 the same, but I can't really see how uploading a cover by someone else would be a good idea for my user profile photo!

message 8: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13731 comments Apparently the system doesn't like it when you try to upload a photo when there is no user/author picture yet. It can be done, but I don't know how. I'm sorry.

message 9: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42443 comments Mod
Any user can add pictures here: https://www.goodreads.com/photo/new

But that will add them to the user profile, not the author one. (Authors have a partly-hidden user profile, masked by their author profile.)

message 10: by Pam (new) - rated it 2 stars

Pam Baddeley | 207 comments OK thanks. I've taken the picture and will upload it shortly.

message 11: by Pam (new) - rated it 2 stars

Pam Baddeley | 207 comments Lethe, I have uploaded the cover to https://www.goodreads.com/photo/user/...

This is the best I can do as I couldn't photograph it on the book, so took off the dust jacket for a better result. It won't lie completely flat even so unfortunately.

Abcdarian | 19392 comments Your cover added, thanks. You can delete your upload if you wish.

message 13: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13731 comments The wraparound was just to prove it was indeed the back cover on the record. Wouldn't it be better to crop the image to just the front cover and the spine?

message 14: by Pam (new) - rated it 2 stars

Pam Baddeley | 207 comments Sorry, who is being asked to do that? I provided the wrapround as requested ....

message 15: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13731 comments Pam wrote: "Sorry, who is being asked to do that? I provided the wrapround as requested ...."

Sorry, I was asking Abcdarian.

message 16: by Pam (new) - rated it 2 stars

Pam Baddeley | 207 comments Oh, sorry about that! I won't delete the photo yet in that case.

message 17: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42443 comments Mod
lethe wrote: "Wouldn't it be better to crop the image to just the front cover and the spine?"

It would.

message 18: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13731 comments Cropped photo. You may remove it from your photos now, Pam. Thank you for your patience :)

message 19: by Pam (new) - rated it 2 stars

Pam Baddeley | 207 comments Thanks Lethe, have done now.