Uprooted
This topic is about Uprooted
Aug 2015: Uprooted/Moon Called > Casting Uprooted

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jan Hey everyone!

Soooo... how would you cast Uprooted?

I had a bit of a difficulty because of Agnieszka's age.

In the end my cast suggestion would be:

Agnieszka: Hailee Steinfeld from Pitch Perfect 2 or even our great heroine Maisie Williams

Kasia: Nobody else but Elle Fanning

The Dragon: Someone a little older that looks younger - Joseph Gordon-Levitt

Prince Marek: A Prince Charming type - Liam Hemsworth

The Queen: Tilda Swinton - imagine what she could bring to the table

John Erickson | 10 comments I love the idea of Maisie Williams as Agnieszka, and Elle Fanning would be a good Kasia, but I can't see JGL as the Dragon. I picture someone more like Tom Hiddleston.

message 3: by Jan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jan John wrote: "I can't see JGL as the Dragon. I picture someone more like Tom Hiddleston."

So Benedict Cumberbatch ;-)

message 4: by Day (new) - rated it 5 stars

Day La | 4 comments I know the Dragon is suppose to look a little younger, but somehow I always imagine Michael Fassbender (a younger version) as him. I think he has the perfect moody look to his face.

Rachel | 5 comments I can't see the Dragon as any one but Cumberbatch, or maybe a youthful Alan Rickman? Mostly because of all the yelling.
some text

Tiffany Shemwell | 11 comments I just kept seeing Tom Hardy is Sarkan!

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Bangerter | 15 comments I also thought of Maisie Williams as Agnieszka, which lead me to Sophie Turner as Kasia. Then Jamie Bell as Sarkan as I think he has an old fashioned kind of face, when I saw Billy Elliot he reminded me of a Victorian street urchin.

Thaís hey guys. I'm a total newbie here. I found out about VF this weekend (i've been living in Mars, apparently) and decided to start this month's reading. I'm still on chapter 3, but anyway...I loved the actors you mentioned. I was having trouble to picture Agnieszka, so thanks for helping me :) I also enjoyed the idea of JGL as the dragon, heath ledger is another option...and Alan rickman is always the wildcard for this kind of character :)

Michele | 128 comments I'd go with Mila Kunis for Agnieszka.

Jake Gyllenhaal for the Dragon

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Tom Hiddleston will always be my "Falcon" whether in Uprooted or in the Lies of Locke Lamora.

For the Dragon, my thought was the current Jonathan Strange because the way he shows irritation has some element of endearment. And also just the raw and powerful way he's able to portray magic.

My Kasia is Mia Wasikowska's Alice, which fits because Mia's ethnically Polish.

My Nieshka is hard because I don't associate low self-confidence with any actress. Everyone I think of is too self-assured.

message 11: by Cas (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cas (elventempest) | 90 comments I second Tom Hiddleston because he is old enough to make me think of the Dragon and he's that kind of unobtainable sexy. Oh lord.
For Agneszka...
At first I thought Lily Collins with no make up and lighter hair, just a mess of a person, since that's a big part of her being.
Very young Maggie Gyllenhaal works really well because she is beautiful but in a way that some people don't quite see it. And I can see some asshat calling her a horse faced girl, like the Dragon did, because he is a wanker at times. Or mostly.
Oh! Elizabeth Olsen covered in rag-like-apparel and mud.

message 12: by Lindsay (last edited Aug 11, 2015 08:43PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lindsay | 132 comments Because the Dragon wasn't given too much of a description from the start i just decided that he's David Bowie... because, seriously guys, who doesn't want to fantasize about Bowie now and again.

I also, cannot imagine young actresses in sexual situations so I saw Agnieszka as Andrea Riseborough.

For Kasia I think, Britt Marling works really well.

Viola I kind of pictured a young Goran Visnjic as the Dragon.

Laura | 14 comments Rachel wrote: "I can't see the Dragon as any one but Cumberbatch, or maybe a youthful Alan Rickman? Mostly because of all the yelling.
"

Yes to young Rickman!

message 15: by Jan (last edited Aug 12, 2015 04:54PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jan Lindsay wrote: "I also, cannot imagine young actresses in sexual situations "

That is probably the main reason, why the May/December romance (is it really a romance?) does creep me out a little.

Agnieszka is explicitly only 17 years old and does act her age for a lot of the book. And even if the book says the Dragon looks "age appropriate" (only a few years older - with the exception of the eyes) - he never really acts like that. He definitely seems to be older - a lot...

Or Could/did anyone see somebody as young as maybe Ezra Miller as the Dragon?

message 16: by Rico (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rico (vulcan_owlbear) | 5 comments Mara Wilson for Angnieszka: http://media.npr.org/assets/img/2013/...

Chloe Moretz for Kasia: http://newartcolors.com/images/2015/c...

Elijah Wood for The Dragon: http://img.poptower.com/pic-44972/eli...

Josh Hutcherson for the prince: http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20...

Sean Biggerstaff for The Falcon: http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20...

Lena Headly as the queen: http://www.mediaevalgirl.com/wp-conte...

message 17: by Becca (new) - added it

Becca | 8 comments Kristen! I love your casting choices, especially Matt! This movie needs to happen lol

Gerdomat | 3 comments hey!
some of my ideas are already here, thats nice...
like i could totally agree with TOM HIDDLESTON as the DRAGON, but only as in 'only lovers left alive' and a little older around the eyes of course.

what about FLORENCE WELCH (from florence and the machine) as the QUEEN?! her clear-cut features can look so dark, medieval and hippie all at the same time.

the very young GABRIELA SABATINI as ANGNIESZKA (well, maybe without the curly 80ies- bangs).

why not a beardy CHRIS PRATT as the PRINCE?

KASIA: yay to ELLEN FANNING! .. or even the swell EMMA STONE.

message 19: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John Erickson | 10 comments Kristen wrote: "Matthew Mercer for The Dragon: http://thundercats.org/wp-content/upl..."

I don't know who he is, but his look is perfect for the character. But I can't help seeing the Dragon as Tom Hiddleson and the prince as Chris Hemsworth.

Julio (juliosd) | 2 comments Jan wrote: "Hey everyone!
The Queen: Tilda Swinton - imagine what she could bring to the table
"

I'm terrible at casting, but I agree with Jan (first post) on Tilda Swinton as The Queen. I think her unique features would be perfect to highlight the "strangeness" she has (view spoiler)

message 21: by Susanne (last edited Aug 19, 2015 02:20AM) (new)

Susanne (zweins) | 4 comments Anja wrote: "Tom Hiddleston will always be my "Falcon" whether in Uprooted or in the Lies of Locke Lamora.

For the Dragon, my thought was the current Jonathan Strange because the way he shows irritation has s..."

HELL YES BERTIE CARVEL as the DRAGON, I totally agree!
description

And speaking of Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, I couldn't help but picture AGNIESZKA as ALICE ENGLERT (Lady Pole)
description

MIA WASIKOWSKA is an excellent choice for KASIA, as Anja already pointed out

I'd see TOM HARDY as MAREK rather than the Dragon.

Vivian (lapinou) | 3 comments Laura wrote: "Rachel wrote: "I can't see the Dragon as any one but Cumberbatch, or maybe a youthful Alan Rickman? Mostly because of all the yelling.
"
Yes to young Rickman!"

Oh my, I wasn't the only one!! :D That's how I imagined the Dragon all the way, him and no one else! Ok, I had this crush on Snape/Rickman when I was younger, but he fitted the most to the Dragon's description ^_^

I suggest:

* Agnieszka - Eleanor Tomlinson
http://cdn9.staztic.com/app/a/2952/29...

* Kasia - Bonnie Wright (with blond hair, yeah! I think she's very pretty but also tough looking, and Kasia was a tough girl)
http://www.theplace2.ru/archive/bonni...

* The Dragon - young Alan Rickman (duuuh!)

* The Falcon - Harry Lloyd
http://38.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0e...

* Prince Marek - William Moseley (felt a bit uninspired for his cast though....)
http://cdn01.cdn.justjaredjr.com/wp-c...

* The Queen - Lotte Verbeek (actress already looks like the Wood got to her :p)
http://listfan.mobi/wp-content/upload...

Minsta | 93 comments Another vote for Alan Rickman as the Dragon!! Snape....

Minsta | 93 comments And for Marek, the actor who plays Jaime Lannaster on GoT

message 25: by Neohgirl (new)

Neohgirl | 68 comments I can only picture Benedict Cumberbatch as the Dragon – the way he cannot understand how her natural talent works versus his book methods screams Sherlock to me. I do love the David Bowie idea though, now I am picturing him as he was in Labrynth. Maisie was my pick too, and I also like idea of Mia Wasikowski as Kasia.

message 26: by Miya (last edited Aug 27, 2015 09:04AM) (new) - added it

Miya (nursethalia) Maisie Williams does seem a great choice for Agnieszka, but I've been watching so much Critical Role lately that Laura Bailey's face and voice just pop into my mind whenever I'm reading this (which of course makes me see Marisha Ray as Kasia).

No clue who Dragon is for me yet, but hoping I get some ideas from this thread!

Rhapsody | 27 comments All throughout the book I pictured Tom Hiddleston as the Dragon.

message 28: by Cas (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cas (elventempest) | 90 comments Can I just say that I get people saying Maisie but in no world can I picture her not little Arya Stark. Bad ass, but little Arya... Guys, I can't. With Tom it's even more weird. Take away any sexual matter and maybe.

Maria (socialh3rmit) | 7 comments Alice Englert as Agnieszka

Alexis Denisof as The Dragon

Elle Fanning as Kasia

Evan Peters as Prince Marek

Rosamund Pike as the missing Queen

and Emmy Rossum as the Tree Queen

here's a link to my casting board on pinterest

https://www.pinterest.com/Socialh3rmi...

message 30: by StacyM (last edited Aug 24, 2015 12:06AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

StacyM | 3 comments Agnieszka: young Krysten Ritter just seemed perfect to me as this quirky, not graceful, not brave, not traditionally beautiful character
Dragon: youngish Chris Sarandon with his black eyes and trademark disagreebleness is a perfect match.

Kasia: Leighton Meester? I cannot find the actress I want even though I saw an actress in my head, just cannot find her.

Prince Marek was an unknown for me and he looked something between Chris Hemsworth and Nilolaj Walder-Landau (can't believe someone said these)

My first casting! Perhaps a little weird, but this wonderful, wonderful book, was strange in a good way.

Cheers!

*Edit* I tried to post about a week ago,but it kept saying I had an error. No idea what the problem was as I only rewrote it and re-posted virtually the same thing.

Rhapsody | 27 comments Maria, I forgot about Rosamund Pike. She would make a great Queen (missing one). Great choice! And then Tilda Swinton as the tree Queen.

Christy (christybontrager) | 7 comments Rachel wrote: "I can't see the Dragon as any one but Cumberbatch, or maybe a youthful Alan Rickman? Mostly because of all the yelling.
"

he's perfect!

Maria (socialh3rmit) | 7 comments Rhapsody wrote: "Maria, I forgot about Rosamund Pike. She would make a great Queen (missing one). Great choice! And then Tilda Swinton as the tree Queen."

Thanks!

Mary ~*Sweary McCoffeehound*~ | 3 comments Mia Wasikowska as Agnieszka

Ian Somerhalder as The Dragon (young yet old thing going on)

Rooney Mara as Kasia

Chris Hemsworth as Prince Marek

Cate Blanchett as the missing Queen

Tilda Swinton as the Tree Queen

Mary ~*Sweary McCoffeehound*~ | 3 comments TokyoPOPrincess wrote: "However, I prefer Matt Stokoe as Prince Marek."

Oh, I absolutely agree! No idea who this guy was til I googled, but matches my imagination picture of Marek. :D

Tricia | 5 comments Rachel wrote: "I can't see the Dragon as any one but Cumberbatch, or maybe a youthful Alan Rickman? Mostly because of all the yelling.
"

I could only think of Alan Rickman! It made the whole 'romance' thing kind of freaky...

message 37: by KC (new) - rated it 5 stars

KC Ryan (kc_ryan) | 51 comments Susanne wrote: "Anja wrote: "Tom Hiddleston will always be my "Falcon" whether in Uprooted or in the Lies of Locke Lamora.

For the Dragon, my thought was the current Jonathan Strange because the way he shows irr..."

I'm so biased toward Bertie Carvel right now, I tried *not* to think of him as the Dragon...and yet, I think he'd be perfect.

That being said, I couldn't help but also shine him in Miss Trunchbull (Matilda: The Musical) garb as Old Yaga.

"I HAVE FALLEN THROUGH TIME!"

Dual casting, maybe? ;)

Vernice (fictionfantastic) Here's my cast choices:

Agnieszka: Mara Wilson

Kasia: Jennifer Lawrence

Dragon: Ben Barnes

Prince Marek: Chad Michael Murray

Falcon: Tom Felton

The Queen: Cate Blanchett

message 39: by James (new)

James | 108 comments For me

Agnieszka - Felicity Jones

Kasia - Rose McIver - from Izombie

Dragon - Richard Armitage, or Brett Dalton - Ward from Agents of Shield.

Prince Marek - Joseph Morgan - Niklaus from The Originals

Falcon - Joel Edgerton

The Queen - Definitely Tilda Swinton

message 40: by Jan (last edited Aug 29, 2015 12:31AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jan Maria wrote:
"Cate Blanchett as the missing Queen
Tilda Swinton as the Tree Queen"

Personally, I would cast the same actress for the kidnapped queen and the wood queen. I think this would be very interesting and layered.

message 41: by BlackCatSensei (last edited Aug 29, 2015 06:13PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

BlackCatSensei | 19 comments Tiffany wrote: "I just kept seeing Tom Hardy is Sarkan!"

Agree! His performance as Heathcliff in Wuthering Heights came to mind.

message 42: by Susanne (new)

Susanne (zweins) | 4 comments KC wrote: "Susanne wrote: "Anja wrote: "Tom Hiddleston will always be my "Falcon" whether in Uprooted or in the Lies of Locke Lamora.

For the Dragon, my thought was the current Jonathan Strange because the ..."

*LOL* Sure! Bertie is playing both Pentheus and his mother in Bakkhai (Almeida Theatre London) right now, I'm sure we could double-cast him in a male and female role.

Adrienne | 43 comments No one tried to cast Alosha? I know she had a smallish part, but it was pretty important. My vote is for Danai Gurira, aka Michonne from Walking Dead.

Agnieszka: Maisie Williams, Hailee Steinfield or Abigail Breslin

Kasia: Chloe Grace Moretz, Sophie Turner (Sansa Stark) with blonde hair or Elle Fanning

Dragon: Richard Madden (Robb Stark), Daniel Radcliffe (with facial hair)

Prince Marek: Oliver Jackson-Cohen, Liam Hemsworth or Nicholas Hoult (Beast in the most recent X-Men movies)

Sophie (sophieg13) | 7 comments Agnieszka played by Rooney Mara and Joseph Fiennes as the Dragon!

Rebecca (leah3003) | 2 comments Not totally sure if I'd actually want him playing Sarkan, but as far as physical appearance goes I kept picturing something along the lines of Jude Law for some reason.
Tom Hiddleston would be an awesome choice, though.

message 46: by Maddie (new)

Maddie | 1 comments OMG guys look up Aneurin Barnard.

He would be a perfect Sarkan.

If you watch some of his stuff from the White Queen (TV show) his character is really serious and has that troubled look.

Bianca (bookhoarding) | 2 comments This is my dreamcast. Totally agree that Barnard would be a good, broody Dragon.
Karen David as Agniezka, Lily James as Kasia, Aneurin Barnard as the Dragon

Uprooted fancast

message 48: by Aly (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aly (alycatz) | 4 comments I'm not sure of the male actors name but my choice would be:
Sarkan - the guy that played Michael on Dominion
Agnieska - Jewel Staite, Kaylee from Firefly
(pictures in the Twitter link below)
https://twitter.com/alyclark/status/6...

message 49: by Alice (new)

Alice | 2 comments I'd love Saoirse Ronan as Agnieszka.

http://www.wonderlandmagazine.com/wp-...

message 50: by Alice (last edited May 06, 2016 07:19AM) (new)

Alice | 2 comments I'd second Lily James as Kasia, too.

« previous 1