You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Off Topic Chat > Postcrossing

Comments Showing 1-50 of 85 (85 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments I have set this thread up so we can discuss the website and our activities on Postcrossing. https://www.postcrossing.com/

message 2: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Thanks to Peggy for telling us about it. It is a fantastic idea!

I signed up and my username is sarmor.

message 3: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15084 comments Great idea, this thread :)

My name is Pebbles84

message 4: by Peggy, Moderator (last edited Aug 07, 2015 05:38AM) (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15084 comments Germany is an ideal country to send your first card to by the way, Sarah. It only takes a couple of days to get there, and then someone somewhere will get your address. If that's also not too far away, you'll get your first card within one or two weeks. On the other hand, if you send to Russia and you receive one from Russia, it can take up to two months! It's a test of patience in the beginning. At least, for me it was ;-)

message 5: by Kazen (new)

Kazen I'm Kazen on Postcrossing - just got a couple of cards today, in fact. :)

message 6: by Peggy, Moderator (last edited Aug 07, 2015 06:22AM) (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15084 comments I just bought some more stamps ;-)

But they are expensive! When I started postcrossing in 2010 it was 77 eurocents within Europe, and 95 outside Europe. It got slightly more expensive every year or half year and when I stopped early 2014 it was 1.05 for both inside and outside Europe. It got a bit too much... The new ones I just got are 1.15!

message 7: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments I guess you just have to limit how many you send. Although that will mean you receive less too.

message 8: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments I've just ordered some postcards through Moo - you get 15% off as a member of postcrossing.

message 9: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15084 comments Sarah wrote: "I guess you just have to limit how many you send. Although that will mean you receive less too."

Exactly, that's what I'm trying to do now :) You get more available slots for sending postcards the more you have sent, and I'm at 24 right now. I find it hard to limit myself sometimes ;-) Although I did the smart thing now and bought only 5 stamps!

Moo is also great for printing your own postcards :)

message 10: by Kazen (new)

Kazen I feel really lucky that Japan has cheap postage - 70 yen (it feels like 70 cents US) for a postcard anywhere in the world. On the flip side I have a harder time finding cheap cards. :( Single cards sell for $1.50 US, but if you know where to look you can get tourist packs for less.

message 11: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15084 comments That's quite expensive for postcards indeed Kazen. Many of the fancier cards in shops here are around 1 euro, but tourists cards are cheaper, especially if you buy them in packs. You have to search for those though. And ordering online is cheaper too.

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I have just signed up, my username is thebooklover.

Now I just need to get some postcards and some stamps.

message 13: by Kandice (new)

Kandice For those of you that are already participating, do you think this is something a school class could do as a whole? I think the younger kids especially would like it.

message 14: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15084 comments I've come across school classes doing this together Kandice. Not sure how it's organized though. I guess the kids could take turns picking out and writing cards on behalf of the whole class. I think I also once came across a class that had a worldmap put up and added pins to the places they received cards from.

Love your name Lisa :D

message 15: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3110 comments I know this has nothing to do with Postcrossing, but there is a group here on Goodreads called The Post Card Exchange.

message 16: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17065 comments Peggy wrote: "I just bought some more stamps ;-)

But they are expensive! When I started postcrossing in 2010 it was 77 eurocents within Europe, and 95 outside Europe. It got slightly more expensive every year o..."

I just looked up stamp prices here at the moment (I haven't sent postcards overseas for a very long time). From memory, they were $1.10 then. Now? $2.75 per stamp!

message 17: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15084 comments Yikes Rusalka, that's ridiculous.

Thanks Lanelle! I had a look at it and it sounds fun :) Very similar to the postcrossing forum activities.

message 18: by Lisa (last edited Aug 07, 2015 12:34PM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments My first postcard is being sent to Russia! :)

Sarah, do you know happen to know what stamps we have to buy to send postcards abroad? Will our first or second class stamps be enough? It's been years since I last sent any overseas and the Royal Mail website has confused me a bit.

message 19: by Amanda (Mandy) (new)

Amanda (Mandy) | 613 comments I just signed up as Romanfam.

I saw in the community guidelines section that it says to contact them if you want to register a school class. I guess there must be different parameters.

message 20: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Last time I sent stuff abroad I went in to the post office but they were parcels. no idea about letters. I'm guessing Europe is cheaper to send to than the others.

message 21: by Lisa (last edited Aug 07, 2015 02:39PM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Sarah wrote: "Last time I sent stuff abroad I went in to the post office but they were parcels. no idea about letters. I'm guessing Europe is cheaper to send to than the others."

Ok, thanks. Think it's probably best that I pop to the post office with it then.

message 22: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9420 comments This sound really cool. And the class experience you told, Peggy, makes me think that it could be a good experience with my kids to do it like a family thing. I'll do an account soon. Right now I'm on vacations, and I promised myself not to use the computer more than 30-40 minutes a day. :)
Thanks for sharing!

message 23: by Mariab (new)

Mariab | 3059 comments Rusalka wrote: "Peggy wrote: "I just bought some more stamps ;-)

But they are expensive! When I started postcrossing in 2010 it was 77 eurocents within Europe, and 95 outside Europe. It got slightly more expensiv..."

I think that is because there are less people using the post service now and that increase the costes per capita

message 24: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I am the acting director of a Torah School and I am thinking this would be a terrific experience for the kids. Maybe all the grades, but especially the older ones.

message 25: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17065 comments Mariab wrote: "I think that is because there are less people using the post service now and that increase the costes per capita "

Completely agree. But for a tiny piece of cardboard, that does seem excessive (it's US$2.02 or 1.30 Pounds).

Oh that's cool with kids. I would have been all over this as a kid. School classes is a great idea.

message 26: by Kazen (new)

Kazen Kandice wrote: "For those of you that are already participating, do you think this is something a school class could do as a whole? I think the younger kids especially would like it."

If memory serves they actually have special accounts so you can get everyone in your class an address at the same time - check out the FAQs. :D

message 27: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17065 comments "Mariab wrote: "I think that is because there are less people using the post service now and that increase the costes per capita "

I'm shutting up after this.

I found the real cause. Coincidentally an article on the CEO of the Australia Post just popped up on my twitter feed. In the last year they have cut over 2000 jobs, put up stamp prices again, and reduced Australian postal deliveries (no longer every day). Makes sense, as you say, postal demands are down.

However the CEO of Aus Post is paid $4.8 million per year. The Prime Minister is paid $507 000 per year as a benchmark. I think I have just found a way that Aus Post could lower stamp prices... Grrr.

message 28: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15084 comments I think it's the same here Rusalka. The 'real' postmen and postwomen have been exchanged for cheaper part-time delivery-people like students. Mail is no longer delivered on Monday, and all prices go up every year. I'm pretty sure the Dutch mail CEO also makes millions... I guess a lot of CEO's earn insane amounts of money, while the products they sell get more and more expensive because the companies don't make enough.

Sometimes it makes me so frustrated, that some people earn way more than they can ever spend and do not need to live comfortable lives, while on the other side of the world people die of hunger every day...

Anyway, I have cards travelling to Germany, China, Taiwan, Russia, Belarus, Portugal, Japan, USA and Ukraine. I've agreed with myself that I can send 10 per month maximum.

message 29: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17065 comments Ooo be interested to see what you get back!

message 30: by Sandra (last edited Aug 08, 2015 04:34AM) (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9420 comments It annoys reading somethings like this, Rusalka. It make sense that the postal service is being less used, but 4,8 millions for the CEO salary... that abusive.

message 31: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Our Mail service was privatised. Prices went up and now bosses get the money rather than the government. it appears it's the same everywhere.

I went to the post office and post to Europe is the same price regardless of country. £1 per stamp. I bought some touristy postcards and they were only 35p each which I thought was good.

I agree with those who have said it will make a great family/class activity - I'd have loved it as a kid. it's a great way to keep non technology communication going but to learn about other cultures and be creative with what you write.

message 32: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I remember having pen pals as a kid via the library :) it was so much fun! I had two pen pals..MaryKay and David..that is the only thing I remember about them though.

message 33: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48740 comments I think postal service in Canada has declined significantly over the last couple of years. There have been times when we didn't get mail delivered for a week only to learn that our delivery man had been on holidays and he wasn't replaced. Then, he was delivering mail in the evenings and on Sunday. It was just bizarre.

The postal service is a government agency so you'd think the government would support and promote it. But it's gearing up to reduce the amount of mail it generates. They have significantly reduced the amount of forms and statements that they send out. You can get them online. By 2016, they will no longer mail cheques. They want to deposit directly to your bank account. That will be interesting because many of those on welfare or employment insurance don't have bank accounts. Some of my clients have employees with no bank accounts.

Right now, it's $1.00 a stamp for delivery in Canada. $1.20 to the States, and $2.50 anywhere else in the world.

message 34: by Sandra (last edited Aug 08, 2015 07:08PM) (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9420 comments I think in the US the "forever" stamp for local delivery is $0.45 and the "forever global" is $ 1.20. Can anyone confirm?

message 35: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17065 comments There you go. Maybe Aus Post isn't that far out of the pricing range as I thought.

I just assume everything is more expensive over here, just because generally it is. Back in the box I go ;)

message 36: by Elsbeth (new)

Elsbeth (elsbethgm) | 1136 comments Postcrossing - how did postcrossing get on Goodreads? ;)
I've been very active on Postcrossing for a few years. But since becoming more active on Goodreads, I didn't sent anything anymore. If anyone is interested in what I sent and received; my usernames (yes I had 3 accounts!) are: ElsbethGM, Beth2673 & Varkentje (from that last one I don't use the email-adress anymore, so don't sent me any messages). I just looked at it again; it says that my son is 6 years old, he now is 9! So it has been 3 years since I sent loads of cards...
I still have loads of cards and stamps from that time (to sent) and maps full of received cards, sorted by country and state! I haven't looked at those in a while, either...

message 37: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments I sent my first card at the weekend. They haven't marked it as received yet. I hope they get it. Feeling impatient/excited about getting one back.

message 38: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15084 comments Hope it arrives soon Sarah!

The first 4 cards I sent were sent on Friday. I've had cards travel to Germany in only 2 days, but so far none of mine have been received either.

message 39: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Sarah wrote: "I sent my first card at the weekend. They haven't marked it as received yet. I hope they get it. Feeling impatient/excited about getting one back."

I sent out my first postcard a couple of days ago too. It's going to Russia which could take quite a long time so I reckon I won't be receiving my first card for a little while.

message 40: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15084 comments You can have up to 5 cards on the way at any time if you want to :)

message 41: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Peggy wrote: "You can have up to 5 cards on the way at any time if you want to :)"

I know. I decided to try and limit myself to only sending a couple of cards or so a month but I bet I won't be able to resist sending out more ;)

message 42: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Peggy wrote: "You can have up to 5 cards on the way at any time if you want to :)"

I decided I need a bit more time between writing cards so I don't run out of ideas of what to write! I was tempted yesterday to send another one but I think I'll wait until I receive my first one.

message 43: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15084 comments Yay! My card to Portugal arrived!

message 44: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments My first card has been received. I've requested to send another and it's another Germany one.

message 45: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15084 comments Hopefully it won't be too long until you receive your first card now :)

message 46: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments when someone receives your card and sends you a message of thanks, do you ever reply back?

My second card arrived in Germany. I'm still waiting to receive one.

message 47: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15084 comments Wow, that's fast Sarah!

No, I generally don't send a message back, unless they ask me a specific question. And there have been some times when the thank-you message was so elaborate and someone was so happy with the card that it just made my day, and I sent a message back to tell them how happy I am that they enjoyed the card so much.

Some more of my cards arrived, to Ukraine, Japan, USA and Russia. The one to Germany is still travelling though, weird. I think I won't get a card back soon, when I quit postcrossing 1-2 years ago I ended up with 760 sent and 767 received, so I think some more of mine need to arrive before my address is given out.

message 48: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15084 comments I received a card today! It's from Spain and the sender wrote a lot, so I'm glad I started doing this again :)

message 49: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments That's great. I probably have two waiting for me at the post office. I am popping over in the morning to check. I hope so.

message 50: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments I got the two pastcards i was expecting. One came from Canada and the other, Florida. Now I'm going to be sending one to Russia.

« previous 1