Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived Author Help > Help with format question, please.

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by A.E. (new)

A.E. Hellstorm (aehellstorm) | 196 comments All right, so my concern here is that when I formatted the book according to how Smashwords wants it to look, it still treats the hard returns as a cue to create new pages for some obscure reason. Any tips on how I do to avoid that? Can't seem to get any information from Smashwords itself.

Thanks in advance.

message 2: by Jenycka (new)

Jenycka Wolfe (jenyckawolfe) | 301 comments Did you do a full wipe on the coding before you began the whole formatting process?

message 3: by A.E. (new)

A.E. Hellstorm (aehellstorm) | 196 comments Jenycka wrote: "Did you do a full wipe on the coding before you began the whole formatting process?"

Hm, I'm not really sure what you mean with a 'full wipe', Jenycka, but I nucleared the whole document and spent three nights going through the text exactly how the Smashwords' guide said that it should be done - so either they're wrong or I made a mistake somewhere, but that last thing seems so farfetched so I don't know if I believe it... :-P

message 4: by Jenycka (new)

Jenycka Wolfe (jenyckawolfe) | 301 comments Yes, I mean the nuclear. I really don't know why it would do that then. Have you contacted Smashwords Customer Service? They generally tend to be very friendly and easy to work with.

message 5: by A.E. (new)

A.E. Hellstorm (aehellstorm) | 196 comments Jenycka wrote: "Yes, I mean the nuclear. I really don't know why it would do that then. Have you contacted Smashwords Customer Service? They generally tend to be very friendly and easy to work with."

Not yet, trying to find the answer in their FAQ. It might be that I used a too big font on the headings, but I don't understand why it should react by creating new pages because of that. I'm so confused - and stressed-out, since we're leaving for Europe on Saturday and need to get this done before, so it's all ready for the promo. Ah well... It'll be solved somehow, I'm sure...

Thanks for the help. That's really appreciated. <3

message 6: by Jenycka (new)

Jenycka Wolfe (jenyckawolfe) | 301 comments I'm really sorry I couldn't help more.

message 7: by A.E. (new)

A.E. Hellstorm (aehellstorm) | 196 comments Jenycka wrote: "I'm really sorry I couldn't help more."

That's okay, sweetheart. I think I'm on to something here. Found some consistent patterns that I'm trying to solve. :-)

message 8: by A.E. (new)

A.E. Hellstorm (aehellstorm) | 196 comments Okay, this seems to be the problem, but it doesn't matter whether or not I have this box checked. It still creates the problem, and there seems to be no answer to how to fix it. I'm at loss...

http://wordribbon.tips.net/T012695_Co...

message 9: by Owen (new)

Owen O'Neill (owen_r_oneill) | 1509 comments A.E. wrote: "Okay, this seems to be the problem, but it doesn't matter whether or not I have this box checked. It still creates the problem, and there seems to be no answer to how to fix it. I'm at loss..."

By a "hard return" for you mean a line feed? (That's shift+enter in Word.)

message 10: by A.E. (new)

A.E. Hellstorm (aehellstorm) | 196 comments Owen wrote: "A.E. wrote: "Okay, this seems to be the problem, but it doesn't matter whether or not I have this box checked. It still creates the problem, and there seems to be no answer to how to fix it. I'm at..."

Hm... I didn't know that... It's just the enter key. I thought that was called a hard return... *lol*

message 11: by C.L. (new)

C.L. (clrivers) willing to help you format the whole thing in epub, mobi, PDF for free if you give me a heads up