Breaking The Code To The Catcher In The Rye discussion

The Catcher in the Rye
This topic is about The Catcher in the Rye
Breaking The Code To The Catcher In The Rye:“Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.”

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cosmic (last edited Aug 06, 2015 09:52AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cosmic Arcata | 199 comments Mod
“Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.”

When have you found this be true for you?

How do you think this was true for Salinger?

Personally when I have told people the truth about something they were not ready to accept i have found myself alienated. Learning so much about WW2 from TCITR I can certainly see why Salinger lived a lonely life. How can you have a meaningful conversation pretending nothing happened but just what and the way you imagined it to be. How do you pretend all the people that you knew that lost their life for all the people that you knew that made money off those lives...just didn't matter? And how do you remain human in light of war?

People are always at war with the truth. And truth is said to be the first victim of war.

Cosmic Arcata | 199 comments Mod
I have been reading J.D. Salinger: A Life

This is the first book that I have read about him. I have learned a few things that were interesting. Like how Salinger's mother used to send him news articles of different Hollywood stars. Or that he went to Poland before the war and worked in a pig butchering plant. Or that he signed up for the army but had a heart condition. The second time he signed up he answered that he was a "carpenter for the railroad, and that he only finished gramar school" he was drafted two weeks later.

What I don't like about this book is the author's commetary spin. He says that the first time he signed up was out of frustration and the second time was "patriotic". That doesn't make any sense...and this is how you can tell a "moron". They don't want to discuss anything they just want to state things the way that they wish things to appear. Much like the media.

The first time he signed up he had a heart condition that didn't make him ineligiboe but it did lower his odds of getting in. Maybe he already knew this and thought that would help him to avoid being drafted.

If he were so patriotic he wouldn't have signed up for the draft when the rules changed. He would have just signed up for service.

They want to paint Salinger in a particular light so when you read The Catcher you are smoke screened by a particular bias. I don't think Salinger every liked war. I don't think any reasonable person that loves their family can be for blowing up other peoples' mothers, fathers, brothers and sisters...without a media champaign to Con-vince you.

Breaking The Code To The Catcher In The Rye

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

J.D. Salinger: A Life (other topics)