The Catcher in the Rye
This topic is about The Catcher in the Rye
Breaking The Code To The Catcher In The Rye: "Good luck""

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Cosmic Arcata | 198 comments Mod
There are 13 luck(y) in TCITR.

One of the first is from Mr. Spencer:

"After I shut the door and started back to the living room, he yelled something at me, but I couldn't exactly hear him.
I'm pretty sure he yelled "Good luck!" at me, I hope to hell not.
I'd never yell "Good luck!" at anybody. It sounds terrible, when you think about it. "

When you think about it you usually say good luck when there is some kind of risk. Such as in a game. Holden and Spencer just got through talking about that here:

"What'd he say to you?" "Oh. . . well, about Life being a game and all. And how you should play it according to the rules. He was pretty nice about it. I mean he didn't hit the ceiling or anything. He just kept talking about Life being a game and all. You know." "Life is a game, boy. Life is a game that one plays according to the rules." "Yes, sir. I know it is. I know it." Game, my ass. Some game. If you get on the side where all the hot-shots are, then it's a game, all right--I'll admit that. But if you get on the other side, where there aren't any hot-shots, then what's a game about it? Nothing. No game. "

Cosmic Arcata | 198 comments Mod
One of the things i normally do when studying something about the Catcher is too look up the word and WW2. It doesn't always work but surprisingly it does most of the time. So this morning i decided to do that with "good luck" and i found this interesting reference:

The Good Luck flag.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_...