We The Book Dragons discussion

The Paper Magician (The Paper Magician, #1)
This topic is about The Paper Magician
August 2015 Book > August 6 - 11 : CHAPTERS 1 - 5

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by lookingforabura (last edited Aug 05, 2015 10:56AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

lookingforabura | 27 comments Mod
Hello, buddies! There's a "new" thing going on...

We will all start our AUGUST Book, The Paper Magician, tomorrow (August 6) and we will be reading CHAPTERS 1 - 5 ONLY until August 11.

We will be discussing the said chapters all through out the week until AUGUST 13! And as moderators, we will be posting the next chapters after this discussion! Good?

Comment below your thoughts and bookish reactions and let's talk! ;)

Happy Reading! :)

message 2: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam I can't wait to start this book! It's been on my list of books to get for so long!!!

Yaaay! Tomorrow is the day, Sam! :))

Chris (chriswalsh) | 6 comments I'm really excited about this, I've been struggling to read at the moment so this structure should really help!

message 5: by adam (new)

adam (adamdubrueler) eep! yay!

message 6: by Annie (new)

Annie | 1 comments hi i am new to the club. i want to join but its such a last minute. do you have a list of what books to read for each month?? this is a whole new arena for me.

message 7: by Camryn (new)

Camryn Alverson | 2 comments I'm so excited to read this book!

Mary Chapman (mary_chapman) | 17 comments I'm listening to this on audible. I hope it breaks it down by chapters!

Mary Chapman (mary_chapman) | 17 comments I'm listening to this on audible. I hope it breaks it down by chapters!

Heraa Nasim I finished reading it last month... but of course I am not going to ruin the excitement for others..
I just love its opening 5 chapters. The whole idea of paper and magic to go together is so intriguing.

Ashley 🦕 (zygons) | 1 comments So excited!

Betsy Barnes and Noble didn't have a copy today, and I didn't want to wait to order it so I'm listening to it through audible. I can't wait to get into this.

message 13: by m. (new) - rated it 4 stars

m. | 5 comments Glad that's there's a website to read it on. I can't find in it any bookstore near me and Amazon only has the kindle editions

Marcia (Bookish-Hobbit) | 2 comments I started it a little bit early because I just couldn't wait, but I am lovely it so far!

message 15: by Natalie (new) - added it

Natalie (delicatebooks) | 1 comments Just got the ebook, physical book on the way. Diving in...NOW!

Heraa Nasim you guys can find the whole series easily on tuebl.ca and it is a perfectly legal website to download books from :)

message 17: by Mary (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mary Chapman (mary_chapman) | 17 comments Ok I read up to chapter 5. When do we get to start talking about it?

Kimmie | 1 comments Loved the book :D

Chris (chriswalsh) | 6 comments Bit of a daft question but are we reading upto and including chapter 5 or just upto 5?

message 20: by Mara (new) - rated it 1 star

Mara (bookmarauder) | 2 comments Mod
Heraa wrote: "you guys can find the whole series easily on tuebl.ca and it is a perfectly legal website to download books from :)"

Tuebl is an illegal site that infringes on writers' copyrights. Please don't get your copies there guys. Paper Magician ebook is 1$/€/£ on Amazon.

message 21: by Mara (new) - rated it 1 star

Mara (bookmarauder) | 2 comments Mod
Mary wrote: "Found this free site to read the book if anyone is interested
http://www.freebooksvampire.com/Most-..."

We don't support illegal sites like this. Please don't pirate books guys.

Ariel wrote: "I'm just waiting to get off work so I can go home and download it! Eee! I love doing this bookclub and all my friends are so impressed that I'm doing one ;) hahaha, I just love meeting new people a..."

Good to hear that you are enjoying! :)

Natalie wrote: "Just got the ebook, physical book on the way. Diving in...NOW!"

Physical copies are always the best! Happy reading!

Chris wrote: "Bit of a daft question but are we reading upto and including chapter 5 or just upto 5?"

WE are reading until the last page of Chapter 5. :)

Chris (chriswalsh) | 6 comments Abeer wrote: "Chris wrote: "Bit of a daft question but are we reading upto and including chapter 5 or just upto 5?"

WE are reading until the last page of Chapter 5. :)"

Thank you!

message 26: by Alexa (new) - rated it 1 star

Alexa (curlywiggles) I am enjoying it so far, and I love the character of Mg Thane. The only thing that is really bothering me is the authors use of American language. This is supposed to be set in London, yet she uses words like 'pants' instead of trousers, 'bills' instead of notes and who even knows what 'buggies' are supposed to be?! I find it so distracting and it's really affecting my ability to believe in the world the author is trying to build.

Biblio-Athena (athraja) | 21 comments I want to be a terrible person and continue reading. But I'll stop at 5....I shall resist. I shall. I SAID I SHALL (ignore me ad I fight with the devil on my shoulder)
The narrator is a little annoying, and coming from a country where we speak British English , there are some inconsistencies with the time period and language so it's a little annoying. Also the descriptions can be kind of word tbh, and Ceony seems very judgy and oddly curious. But I am still looking forward to reading more. But I shall resist. I promise.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Ahh I like it so far, although I have to agree. Even though neither my british english nor my american english is nearly as good to really know all the differences... but even I stumbled over some words or sentences. But it is not enough to take away the excitement to read on!
I'm pretty curious to know what is going to happen next.
Also I love the possibilities of papermagic! Am I the only one? I think it is described as such a beautiful magic but could also have the power to achieve bigger things! Really makes me wonder what more is in store for Ceony.

message 29: by Cathy (new) - added it

Cathy Johnstone (livinginsidefiction) I've wanted to read this for so long but OMG WHY DID WE HAVE TO STOP THERE THAT WAS SUCH A CLIFF HANGER!!!
IS HE DEAD?!
WHO IS LIRA?!
OMG I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS!!!!!!

Betsy Truthfully I hadn't noticed the inconsistencies in the language, but I'm known for missing those kind of details. But overall it's such a magical book so far. I love this idea of "paper magic". Very unique and original! I can't wait to read more.

Chris (chriswalsh) | 6 comments I've loved it so far, one of the things that I really liked was how quickly the book started, I have a colleague at work who in her words hates the first 30 pages of introductory waffle at the start of books (personally I love the waffle but everyone is different) but this book didn't have that, it just jumped straight into the story. Its the first book this year that I've really enjoyed and didn't wan't to stop at chapter five

message 32: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam I didn't notice the language either, however I am an American living in England and my husband uses a lot if American terms because of it, so I guess it didn't really affect me. I was naughty and finished the book, but I'm glad I did because I think that too much happened too quickly in the first few chapters. But I still really enjoyed them!

Do you guys think Mg. Thane is a "love interest" or what? Haha because I feel like he and Ceony are somehow related by blood.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Abeer wrote: "Do you guys think Mg. Thane is a "love interest" or what? Haha because I feel like he and Ceony are somehow related by blood. "

Haha, noooo I don't want that! (And I don't think it is possible, at least not in a 'Luke I am your father way'.

Biblio-Athena (athraja) | 21 comments Oh wow, I never considered that. It's possible because of the whole scholarship thing. But he is only 12 years older than her so I don't think he's her father (at least I hope not. That would be way too creepy). But it's possible. There is some further back story and trauma in Ceony's life, something that explains her hydrophobia maybe, so there could be some connection somewhere? I kind of hope he is a love interest though. He's so nice :)

I just thought of another possibility, but I think I'll keep it to myself :-P

message 36: by m. (new) - rated it 4 stars

m. | 5 comments Loving it. I also like the way it gets straight into the story and doesn't waffle on about anything and nothing for a chapter or two. And as for Mg. Thane being a love interest, I think not. He could be a distant relative because he seems to know Ceony very well

Alexa wrote: "I am enjoying it so far, and I love the character of Mg Thane. The only thing that is really bothering me is the authors use of American language. This is supposed to be set in London, yet she uses..."

I understand. I feel the same way, too. With the words used, it feels like it's set in America in the modern times....

madamereadsalot wrote: "Abeer wrote: "Do you guys think Mg. Thane is a "love interest" or what? Haha because I feel like he and Ceony are somehow related by blood. "

Haha, noooo I don't want that! (And I don't think it i..."

But maybe someone blood related or family friend or love interest. Hmmmm hahaha

Ariel wrote: "I feel pretty confident in saying that I feel Magician Thane will be a love interest. I don't think they're related in any way (the age gap only being 12 years, can't be grandpa, dad, or uncle), an..."

Can't wait to see what happens next!

message 40: by Mary (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mary Chapman (mary_chapman) | 17 comments I agree. I felt from the many descriptions of magician Thane's expressive eyes, and forehead etc that he is a love interest. I wish he wasn't because it's soooo cliché and over-used but he is a wonderful guy. Loved the paper dog for Ceony. I also love the paper folding magic and not buying smelting would be so much better in her world. Paper is amazing! I'm listening to the audiobook which I purchased on audible (not illegal thank you) and the narrator is terrible at accents. She's trying to hard and failing that it's an effort for me not to be distracted by it. Love the book. Anyone else wish that her trip for groceries hadn't been skipped? Lol I wanted to know where she went and what she got :)

message 41: by Mary (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mary Chapman (mary_chapman) | 17 comments I agree. I felt from the many descriptions of magician Thane's expressive eyes, and forehead etc that he is a love interest. I wish he wasn't because it's soooo cliché and over-used but he is a wonderful guy. Loved the paper dog for Ceony. I also love the paper folding magic and not buying smelting would be so much better in her world. Paper is amazing! I'm listening to the audiobook which I purchased on audible (not illegal thank you) and the narrator is terrible at accents. She's trying to hard and failing that it's an effort for me not to be distracted by it. Love the book. Anyone else wish that her trip for groceries hadn't been skipped? Lol I wanted to know where she went and what she got :)

Betsy Did anyone else find it insanely odd, yet wonderful that Mg. Thane is more of a bee person? Haha! I have to know more about the story behind that. And I love the paper dog!!!

message 43: by Mary (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mary Chapman (mary_chapman) | 17 comments Yes a bee person! Hahaha I found that endearing.

message 44: by Mary (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mary Chapman (mary_chapman) | 17 comments Yes a bee person! Hahaha I found that endearing.

Also, the "story book" part was amazing! We could all wish that all the books we read can come to life the way we imagined it even just for a second... :)

Betsy Agreed Ariel!

message 47: by Rita (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rita (booksandrita) At first I didn't think I would really like this book. But after only two chapters I found myself engrossed with the story: I love the paper magic; Fennel, the paper dog; Mg. Thane seems to be such a great character and I cannot wait to see his mysteries begin to unfold. Ceony is a very relatable main character. I really enjoyed reading about her. I really want to continue with this story as soon as possible!

message 48: by Cathy (new) - added it

Cathy Johnstone (livinginsidefiction) I'd wanted to read this book for ages so I was so happy when it was chosen

message 49: by Mary (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mary Chapman (mary_chapman) | 17 comments It's August 13th time for you to reveal the next chapters we can read please! I've been struggling to not read ahead! :)

message 50: by Mary (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mary Chapman (mary_chapman) | 17 comments It's August 13th time for you to reveal the next chapters we can read please! I've been struggling to not read ahead! :)

« previous 1