r/books discussion

Introductions > New to the group. Not to reading.

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Todd (new)

Todd (toddswrittenword) Hey all, I'm Todd. I'm new to the group and to the reddit sci-fi group. I'm currently reading the sci-fi pick of the month, Italo Calvino's Invisible Cities, but if I can finish that off before the month's end, I might give a crack at The Handmaid's Tale. My favorite type of literature is short fiction, particularly Raymond Carver and, being a vet, Tim O'Brien. I'm also a big fan of Steinbeck, which I know is as polarizing as telling art nerds that I like Norman Rockwell.

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 185 comments I listened to an interview with Tim O'Brien on MPR (Minnesota Public Radio) this summer... I remember I was mopping the floors of my house, and then I just stopped. He was discussing the point when his daughter got the the age where she asked the question "have you even killed anyone?", and I was fixated. Let me see if I can find a link...

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 185 comments I think this must be it... It says it is from 2010, but maybe I heard a rebroadcast. Anyway, if you are into podcasts/public radio, this is an interesting interview :)
http://www.mprnews.org/story/2010/05/...

message 4: by Todd (new)

Todd (toddswrittenword) I'll have to check that interview out. I know from my experience in Iraq that question is the one that most vets dread. ("What's it like over there/what's war like" being the question we struggle the most to answer, as it is nothing if not full of paradoxes.)