The Wide Web of Friends in YA Books discussion

Writers' Corner! > Tips/Advice

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel , The Attentive One (new)

Rachel  (APCB Reviews) (gr8rach) | 8842 comments Mod
Are you having writer's block? Ask for advice or tips here!

message 2: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea B | 348 comments Here is just a random tip for anyone with writer's block:
I think free-writing is really helpful! Just take about a minute to write down everything that comes to your mind, even if it's "I like cheese," (haha) that's ok! I have found that some idea usually pops into my head that helps me keep going. Good luck!

message 3: by Rachel , The Attentive One (new)

great tip Nicole! Thanks ;)

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

A random writing tip:

Make sure not to be too repetitive with your words. People tend to use the word "I" a lot(If they're writing in first person, that is.) replace those "i's with thoughts and other text, before putting another I in there.

(Did that make sense?O_O)

message 5: by Rachel , The Attentive One (new)

Yeah, it's better to use all different sentence structures.

message 6: by Rachel , The Attentive One (new)

Another tip:

Use more descriptive words!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Random tip:
If you have writers block just take a break and do something you enjoy such as reading or even something like running or watching tv. Lots of times you get inspiration from everyday activities. Also keeping a notebook around you at all times helps. When you come up with an idea it's great to have somewhere to hot it down!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks!:D Haha good idea about the notebook thing sometimes I get an idea and then I'll tell myself i'll remember it when i get home to write it down but then I end up forgetting the idea:P

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I do the same thing :) it's annoying but I've learned to bring notebooks when I go places

message 10: by Kayley (new)

Kayley Ayer | 6 comments I love to write. However, I have a bad habit of reading over my work,getting discouraged, and ripping the pages out and starting over.Does anyone have any tips on breaking this habit?

message 11: by Zainab (new)

Zainab Aslam (thehiddenassassin) | 685 comments Use paper that doesn't rip xD
Lol I'm kidding
I do that a lot too especially for school stuff, and so it takes me hours to actually get work done.
Any tips?

message 12: by Lissette (new)

Lissette (liss4ever) I would say really have an idea and know what you wanna say and then if you feel like you didn't like it, then tweak it a little bit.

message 13: by Rachel , The Attentive One (new)

Kayley wrote: "I love to write. However, I have a bad habit of reading over my work,getting discouraged, and ripping the pages out and starting over.Does anyone have any tips on breaking this habit?"

Maybe you could write electronically instead and just take the parts that you like and delete the parts you don't.

message 14: by Lissette (new)

Lissette (liss4ever) Yup, that's what I do when I'm writing papers or just for my own stories.

message 15: by Connie (new)

Connie (faeriewings) | 1027 comments When I write, I always feel bad because I compare my writing to books I've read or my friends' writing. I'd think about how my protagonist is not nearly as awesome as Isabelle Lightwood, or how the romance isn't as cute and amazing as Chaolaena, haha. And then I get frutrated and don't feel like writing anymore... Does anyone have any advice?

message 16: by Lissette (new)

Lissette (liss4ever) I would say to not compare your stories to your friends because then you'll only see what's different from yours. I would say for your character that you're creating and even the romance, think about their own characteristics and how they balance each other out. Same thing goes for an original character, they can be headstrong but also stubborn at the same time. :) that's my advice

message 17: by Jordyn (new)

Jordyn | 216 comments I would say try not to compare yourself to other authors because they are people who are older and have more experience. Also books you read have been edited and edited by others so you can't compare your own single great work to the work of experienced authors. Neither should you compare your writing to your friends. Everyone has their own type of way of writing and each person is unique so don't bring yourself down because your work is great in your own way(: Don't give up on your writings though! The more you write the better you will become.

message 18: by Cheyenne, The Musical One (new)

Cheyenne | 1425 comments Mod
What helps me is not writing in order if that makes sense. I write a when a scene comes to my mind.

message 19: by Lawrence (new)

Lawrence Ambrose (Ambrose2014) | 21 comments Connie wrote: "When I write, I always feel bad because I compare my writing to books I've read or my friends' writing. I'd think about how my protagonist is not nearly as awesome as Isabelle Lightwood, or how the..."

Hi, Connie -

You might be overlooking an excellent opportunity to learn from other writers, as well the positive fact that you're paying close critical attention to their writing; that's positive, because so many writers would rather stick their heads in the sand and not face the "monster" that their writing could use considerable improvement - that there's a reason why others are more successful. By facing that reality, you give yourself the best chance to join them. ;)

It's a sad fact that we all have weaknesses in our writing. The good news is that if you have the courage to compare - and rather than get down on yourself, read with an open mind - you will possess the key to improving your writing.