Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

The Hurt Circuit
This topic is about The Hurt Circuit
Book Cover Help > Please update the cover image

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi,

GoodReads shows an incorrect cover for my book. Please change the cover to the image shown on my book's Amazon page here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GA0R4WG

Thank you! :)

message 2: by Z-squared (new)

Z-squared | 8580 comments Hi S.K.,

Goodreads policy is to keep all covers, even those for out-of-print or no longer available editions. Instead, we create alternate cover editions (ACEs), and you as the author have the ability to set the new cover as the default edition. I have made the ACE for the kindle version of your book here:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

To set it as the default edition, follow these instructions:

1) Navigate to the book's page. Be sure you have selected the edition you wish to become the default (primary) edition.

2) Click "edit details" below the book's description.

3) On the right side of the page, click "Set this book as the primary edition for this work". It's about midway down the page.

Only Goodreads Authors can set the default edition at this time.

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 13, 2014 12:25PM) (new)

However, the old image isn't of an out-of-print or older edition. I had uploaded different cover images to Amazon KDP, before I decided to go with the current cover image.
The incorrect cover image should be completely removed, and not even show up anywhere (also not under more details). There never were any old editions of this book.

message 4: by Z-squared (new)

Z-squared | 8580 comments was the book ever for sale on amazon with the old cover? even temporarily? have you distributed any Advanced Reader Copies with the old cover?

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

With the old cover my book it was briefly available for free on Amazon, and quite a lot of people downloaded it. So, yes, in was for sale with the old cover.

I never distributed ARCs with the old cover. I've tried many different cover images for this book, before I even published a print edition. Trying out different cover images was part of my marketing research for this book.

I understand the GoodReads system better now, and also why you keep the old covers around.

However, I wish authors would be made aware of the fact that cover images can't simply be updated without creating new editions on GoodReads. Authors should be able to update cover images, and the updates should appear site-wide, meaning also on the shelves of the readers.

But making an ACE helped a lot, so thank you again! :)

message 6: by Z-squared (new)

Z-squared | 8580 comments It helps to think of Goodreads as a virtual library, rather than a virtual bookshop. So if an edition of a book ever existed with a certain cover, we keep a copy of it. Users are extremely picky about shelving the cover that matches the copy they own. But I see you've got the new cover set as your default edition now, so you should be good to go!