Stargirl (Stargirl, #1) Stargirl question

Appropriate for a 10 yr old girl/advanced reader/unique and wonderful human being?
Lauracatt Lauracatt Feb 13, 2014 11:13AM
Hi All,
Was wondering if the book would be appropriate for my 10 yr. old who sounds a bit like Stargirl from what I can tell. She is an advanced reader and enjoys more mature fiction. Are there sexual themes or anything you think would too mature?
Thanks!

Yes!

I read these books several years ago, but I don't remember anything even remotely sexual. The main characters probably kiss in here, like once or twice (I honestly can't remember), but beyond that, nothing to worry about. There are some good lessons about being yourself in here. These books would be great for a pre-teen/tween.

This book is actually excellent for a 10-year-old, as with most Spinelli. Great book, with messages of non-conformity and individuality.

I think the two main characters kiss once or twice, but nothing beyond that.

I read this in 5th grade English. It was amazing and to this day one of my favorite books. I think it would be perfect for a girl that age.

This book is totally clean except for like one kiss. That's it.

I got it as a gift from my teacher in the 5th grade so I say yes.

I read it when I was nine, so YEAH!

I first read this book first when I was eleven.
It's fine:)

This is perfect for 10 year olds, in fact, I read it when I was 10 and I absolutely loved it!

Thank you to everyone who commented. I purchased a hard copy and we have been reading a couple chapters a night. You all were right! It's a great discussion starter and thought provoker. We are loving it!
If you have any other book recommendations for us to read together or for her alone, that would be great. I also bought "The Giver" -that one will be next.
Warmly,
Laura

This was a cute book with a melancholy ending. I read it in 5th grade and liked it. A teacher recommended it to me

I think yes

I am pretty sure I was ten when I read this book and /i got it recommended to me by a teacher so I am pretty sure it is clean.

Totally appropriate. I read this when I was around that age, and I found it inspiring and helpful for me at that time. Definitely would recommend.

deleted member Feb 14, 2014 02:55PM   0 votes
It sounds like a great book for your daughter. If she likes it, I can think of a few others she'd probably like as well. I can't think of anything that would be too mature for her age. She should be fine:)

Reving (last edited Feb 15, 2014 05:44AM ) Feb 15, 2014 05:43AM   0 votes
Just read this in the last few months and loved it. Read it yourself because you will love it as well! But I think it is perfect for the child you described! If you read it with your child, there is SO much to talk about ! This is a great parent-child book!

Yes. It is appropriate. Nothing PG-13. I used to teach 4th and 5th grade. I never taught the book in class, but I read it. Great book!

I think it's great and appropriate for advanced readers. It has a great message. There is a first kiss and some bullying, but nothing graphic in nature. I suggest if you are not sure to read it yourself, or at least skim through it. You might enjoy it yourself!

yes

A Feb 24, 2014 02:01PM   -2 votes
No please don't give your daughter ideas with this book. You are going to turn her into an attention wh*r*.
Its a book about a girl who will do just about anything to get the full attention of everyone, and succeeds, she pisses everyone off, unless you WANT your daughter to be like that,don't give her this book.

If you want a really screwed up, dark morbid book, Kara No Kyoukai, about homicide and psychopaths %100 ten year old appropiate. JK.

In all seriousness don't give her this book.

Karen It's a ridiculous post, and a mis-interpretation of the story ...more
Jul 12, 2014 06:40AM
Katelyn I have a feeling you're in the peak of your teen angst... chill out. ...more
Jan 25, 2015 12:01PM