The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1) The Fellowship of the Ring discussion

which did you like better lord or the rings or harry potter

Comments Showing 1-50 of 128 (128 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Annika Harry Potter

Claire I personally don't think it's fair to compare them like this. It's like comparing apples and oranges; both are species of fruit, sure, but they are delicious and nutritious in very different ways.

Same with Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter. Harry Potter is a series with a wider readership range (both children and adults can read and enjoy Harry Potter), and can speak to many readers on many different intellectual levels, though for the most part it's just a fun exciting adventure.

Lord of the Rings is more for adults, not because it's more violent (though it certainly can be at times), but because it doesn't need to rely on the typical drama/action tricks common in 'page-turner' fiction to hold a reader's attention. While the action scenes in LotR are pretty friggin' awesome, you're not meant to read it for the action scenes. You read it for the characters and the magnificently conceived world that Tolkien created, and you just immerse yourself in it.

Long story short, you read and enjoy Harry Potter for what it is, and you read and enjoy LotR for what it is without having to see which one is better.

message 3: by Joelle (new) - added it

Joelle Claire wrote: "I personally don't think it's fair to compare them like this. It's like comparing apples and oranges; both are species of fruit, sure, but they are delicious and nutritious in very different ways.
..."

Sorry i totally agree so i tried to delete this topic but it wouldn't let me

William Lord of the rings TOLKEN did an awesome job he created a whole new world!
Harry potters very good two:)

Claire Joelle wrote: "Claire wrote: "I personally don't think it's fair to compare them like this. It's like comparing apples and oranges; both are species of fruit, sure, but they are delicious and nutritious in very d..."
Nah don't worry about it. I'm curious to see what folks have to say. :)

message 6: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Honestly, I don't think that Harry Potter could ever compare to LOTR.

Allan Claire wrote: "I personally don't think it's fair to compare them like this. It's like comparing apples and oranges; both are species of fruit, sure, but they are delicious and nutritious in very different ways.
..."

That is true because both of them have their good different story very detailed.

Lynn J.K. Rowling has admitted that she took a lot of inspiration from Lord of the Rings when she wrote Harry Potter.

Emily  Appel Claire wrote: "I personally don't think it's fair to compare them like this. It's like comparing apples and oranges; both are species of fruit, sure, but they are delicious and nutritious in very different ways.
..."

I completely agree, only perhaps it's more like comparing lions to housecats than apples to oranges.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

HARRY POTTER!

William Lord of the rings is more deep, I would like Harry potter a lot better if there wasn't so much teens kissing, but i like Harry potter a lot two:-)

Kelly Brigid ♡ Oh my gosh Lord Of The Rings. No offense to anyone, but I very strongly dislike Harry Potter. Just never appealed to me I guess.

Nicholas LOTR

message 14: by Kace (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kace Twilight beats both.

message 15: by Adam (new) - added it

Adam Kace wrote: "Twilight beats both."

0_o

Claire Twilight beats them both?

LOOOOOOOL you're hilarious.

message 17: by Leon (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leon Kock I could not read LOTR twice even though I tried a couple of times, but I can re-read HP many times in the future, have read it a couple of times.
I know the question is not about the movies, but I slept in the first LOTR movie and never bothered with seeing the rest of them, while HP I've watched the video's again and again.

Sparrowlicious What. Those series are not comparable at all. First of all, Lord of the Rings uses its own unique setting (which many, many authors then used as inspiration), 'fantasy' races greatly inspired by norse mythology as well as Tolkien's own creation, the Hobbits. In other words, LotR is much more complex than Harry Potter. Also, the theme was completely different and so were the characters.

I like both. None beats the other.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Lord of the Rigs, never liked Harry Potter

message 20: by Joelle (new) - added it

Joelle Kace wrote: "Twilight beats both."

no just no

message 21: by Joelle (new) - added it

Joelle Leon wrote: "I could not read LOTR twice even though I tried a couple of times, but I can re-read HP many times in the future, have read it a couple of times.
I know the question is not about the movies, but I..."

LOTR are my FAVORITE movies
they are the best movies in the world
i've never seen HP

message 22: by Tony (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tony Walker LOTR - read it time after time. I could never get through Harry Potter, but I salute JK for her achievement. I really like the HP films though...

William Leon wrote: "I could not read LOTR twice even though I tried a couple of times, but I can re-read HP many times in the future, have read it a couple of times.

LOTR is harder to read but it's really deep and cool and AWSOME and epic
While Harry potter is just really awesome and epic:-)

Kelly Brigid ♡ Kace wrote: "Twilight beats both."

O_O Umm....no not even close.

Kelly Brigid ♡ Leon wrote: "I could not read LOTR twice even though I tried a couple of times, but I can re-read HP many times in the future, have read it a couple of times.

They're the best movies ever!!!!

William ♫~Kelly~♫ wrote: "Kace wrote: "Twilight beats both."

O_O Umm....no not even close."

Ditto!but I haven't read twilight!and have no desire to!

Kelly Brigid ♡ I've never read Twilight, and never plan to as well! *high fives*. I've seen like 10 minutes of the movie.....switched it off.

message 28: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate Lord of the Rings every time, although I like Harry Potter too for different reasons.

message 29: by Pier (new)

Pier Graziano For me the main difference is that the Lord of the ring is a kind of poetry, while H. Potter id just an exiting mistery story.

message 30: by pi (new) - rated it 5 stars

pi lotr all the f-ing way! you cannot even compare harry potter to lotr. hp was written as some teen fantasy to make money/write a book. the last couple books it was like get it over with already. lotr is the best because tolkien created a WHOLE new world. not a world within earth. no, he created languages, backgrounds, and personalities for every single character even if they weren't major. lotr and hp are totally different universes. hp for 4th graders, lotr for mature people.

message 31: by Greg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Greg Lord of the Rings. I've read them all six or seven times since the first time when I was eight or nine. I was not able to finish the Harry Potter series though I did enjoy the ones I read.

message 32: by Mark (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark Rixon Tolkiens world is very deep and rich and when I read the books it is like glimpsing into a complete universe.

Potter is a good story with good plot devices but it does not compare with the depth of lotr

message 33: by Nico (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nico That's like comparing a limo (LOTR) to a mountain bike (HP). Each has its selling points.

message 34: by Nico (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nico And can we "flag" that post "Twilight beats both"

I don't know what flagging does, though. Does the poster face criminal charges? I think we need some kind of intervention by a guidance counselor or something.

Babafaba(Hypnos)((Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore))(((Scuttle)))((((Scar)))) Nico wrote: "And can we "flag" that post "Twilight beats both"

I don't know what flagging does, though. Does the poster face criminal charges? I think we need some kind of intervention by a guidance counselor ..."

Lol, yeah!

message 37: by Will (new) - rated it 4 stars

Will Once I'm glad I live in a world where both exist.

Jonathan Kace wrote: "Twilight beats both."
There's a special corner of Mordor reserved for you

Benja Nico wrote: "And can we "flag" that post "Twilight beats both"

I don't know what flagging does, though. Does the poster face criminal charges? I think we need some kind of intervention by a guidance counselor ..."

No idea, I just flagged it under "incorrect book", which I think suits the post.

message 40: by Elentarri (last edited Apr 25, 2014 09:43AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elentarri Jonathan wrote: "Kace wrote: "Twilight beats both."
There's a special corner of Mordor reserved for you"

Yeah - inside Orodruin!

message 41: by C.C. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.C. A couple thoughts:
1) Saying the books are like apples and oranges and thus can't be compared is absurd and a cop out. It would be stupid to ask whether people liked apples or apples better. So we have an apple and an orange; which one do you like better?

2) I like Harry Potter better than Lord of the Rings. Lord of the Rings is a better series, but Harry Potter is more fun.

Elentarri C.C. wrote: "A couple thoughts:
1) So we have an apple and an orange; which one do you like better? "

Oranges. and LOTR.

Justine  Smith For me both series are on my to reread again and again list. I probably reread The Lord of the Rings and the hobbit at least 5 times. And at least 4 times for Harry Potter series. Do I have a preference. Not really. But I'd like to add another series to the list Ender's Game and the other 15 books and 13 short stores (novellas) that go with it.

message 44: by pi (new) - rated it 5 stars

pi Jonathan wrote: "Kace wrote: "Twilight beats both."

haha thats funny. ps i agree.

Justine  Smith Yes but is it a series that you will want to reread over and over in your lifetime.

Susie Schroeder You must be joking. Harry Potter is silly kid stuff, and the LotR goes on forever!

Claire Susie wrote: "Harry Potter is silly kid stuff..."

Harry Potter actually dealt with some pretty hefty subjects, like dealing with loss, self-sacrifice, racism, able-ism, class-ism, stereotypes, bigotry, corruption of power (especially political power), being unafraid to die when the time comes, rising above your given circumstances, and people of different opinions and backgrounds banding together to overthrow tyranny and oppression.

Is Harry Potter poised to become a classic like Lord of the Rings? Maybe, maybe not. Only time will tell. But "silly kid stuff" it is not.

message 48: by Ally (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ally I like Harry Potter more, but only because I was introduced to it first. I like both though

Susie Schroeder Tony wrote: "LOTR - read it time after time. I could never get through Harry Potter, but I salute JK for her achievement. I really like the HP films though..."Agree. I tried to read HP and couldn't get through the first book, but I have reread the Lotr many, many times.

As for "Twilight:" MMmpf :D

Susie Schroeder pi wrote: "Jonathan wrote: "Kace wrote: "Twilight beats both."

haha thats funny. ps i agree."

LOL!

« previous 1 3