Crazy for Young Adult Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVES > Sequels

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John | 6 comments Do you read all the books in a series? Do you usually find the sequel to a book you loved as good as the original? Just wondering . . .

message 2: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin  | 80 comments i have loved all the sequels to all the book series i have read. some of them have been up there with the original book series. what about u?

message 3: by John (new)

John | 6 comments I have found that it's fairly mixed. Sometimes, if the author has really memorable, strong characters, the sequels are good. Other times, it's only the plot and not the characters that sustain the quality of the books. What have been your favorite series?

message 4: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin  | 80 comments the mortal instruments and the prequel the infernal devices vampire academy and the spin off is bloodlines i just finished bloodlines havent read the whole series yet but it looks like its going to be a good series. what about you

message 5: by Monique (new)

Monique (mohneek) If I liked the first, then I'll read the next. But I take it one at a time. If I don't like the sequel, then I usually drop the series. Most times, the books get better as the series continues.

message 6: by John (new)

John | 6 comments Most often, if the first in a series is really good, the sequels follow the same set formula and it's a toss-up if they're as good as the original. Each book should stand on its own literary merit. Readers tend to be disappointed if they anticipate liking a sequel as much as the first. Also, sequels sometimes tend to become epic sagas that may try to include too many additional characters and story lines. What do you think?

message 7: by Monique (new)

Monique (mohneek) I like what you said regarding judging each book individually. However, I've never been disappointed when I read a book that isn't as good as the first. But I like it when you can see that the author has grown and developed as a writer and their books get better and better, like JK Rowling. I think if you continue a series, you're going to need to include more characters, otherwise it'll just be repetition. And with that, you need more storylines. Yes, there comes a point when it gets to be too much, but most authors know when to stop.

message 8: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin  | 80 comments Monique wrote: "I like what you said regarding judging each book individually. However, I've never been disappointed when I read a book that isn't as good as the first. But I like it when you can see that the auth..."

Monique i agree with you. a sequel needs to stand on its own i read the mortal instruments by Cassandra clare and then read the other series by her i really enjoyed both because of the story line in both and the characters. same thing with vampire academy i finished the VA series and im reading the sequel now. i loving this one just as much as also.

message 9: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Frankel | 410 comments Yeah, I'd agree with the standing-on-its-own-merits idea. Nothing wrong with giving flashbacks and bringing the reader into the second if they haven't read the first in the series. But the sequel(s) should be good enough to have the story contained on its own.

I can only hope that my sequels will be as good as the original!

message 10: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin  | 80 comments i like reading the original series first then reading the sequel thats me thou

message 11: by Monique (new)

Monique (mohneek) Caitlin wrote: "Monique wrote: "I like what you said regarding judging each book individually. However, I've never been disappointed when I read a book that isn't as good as the first. But I like it when you can s..."

I've read all of those books, and my favourites are in the middle of the series! But I love every book (especially VA). Each book has literally its own story-line, so I don't know why people would judge it before it even began. It's okay if you don't read the next book because you don't like the author's writing style or something like that, but to completely blow it off? That makes no sense.

message 12: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin  | 80 comments Monique wrote: "Caitlin wrote: "Monique wrote: "I like what you said regarding judging each book individually. However, I've never been disappointed when I read a book that isn't as good as the first. But I like i..."

i agree. im reading golden lily(2nd book) right now. i have 12 chapters left. each book is different your right. i have 2 and a half books to read and then im going to have to wait til the end of july for book 5. what are you currently reading now?

message 13: by Monique (new)

Monique (mohneek) I'm currently reading The Evolution of Mara Dyer. I loved the first, so of course I continued with the second. And the second is just as great! I would say that I think I like the first one better, but only because the plotline in the second is different. It's still amazing. It's just that in the first, you see the two main characters get together and I love seeing the beginning of a romance. But the second is just as filled with romance ;)

message 14: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin  | 80 comments i will have to give it a try i wanna finish some of the series im reading right now. and i wanna try and stick with my list of to read list lol

message 15: by Monique (new)

Monique (mohneek) I know what you mean. I bought a whole bunch of sequels last year that I didn't read because I ended up buying more books and then I got busy… but I'm trying to limit the book buying now and trying to read a bunch of the books that have been sitting on my shelves for a while

message 16: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin  | 80 comments some of the books on my list have been sitting there forever lol. at least half my list i think is the first book in a series. so im trying to get threw at least 2 to 3 series at a time. 2 of the series that im reading the last books come out this year. so thats two series i will have finished. witch is good

message 17: by Monique (new)

Monique (mohneek) Nice. I went to the library and took out some books, but once I finish them I'll be back to reading the books from my shelves

message 18: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin  | 80 comments i live at the library lol. after i finish the golden lily i will be reading Insurgent (Divergent, #2) by Veronica Roth .
I have been waiting awhile for this cant wait to start it

message 19: by Monique (new)

Monique (mohneek) I want to read all of my books before I start taking out other books. I need to read Allegiant! But I want to re-read the first two. When I'm done all of my library books, I want to read Cum Laude because I've started it and stopped and I've had it for so long. But I doubt it's going to be good. I just want to say that I've read it

message 20: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin  | 80 comments oooo ok. how long does it you usually take you to read a book??

message 21: by Monique (new)

Monique (mohneek) Depends. If I'm really in to in: 2-3 days. But if I hit a lull: anywhere from 4 to 7 to 30, I guess. When that happens though, it's because I stop reading until I find the urge to pick it up again. You?

message 22: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin  | 80 comments anywhere from four days to a week. depends on how much i read and whats going on that week. my work schedule is never the same so it depends on that to.

message 23: by John (new)

John Burnett | 23 comments Don't you find that when you get engrossed in a book, whether it is the first in a series or a sequel, you seem to read, read, read until you're done? Also, whenever I read something really great, I have to go on to another equally compelling book right away. How's that with you?

message 24: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin  | 80 comments i agree. but i always mange to start a series that has a few books out then have to wait a year for the next book to come out. lol what series have you read john

message 25: by John (new)

John Burnett | 23 comments Yes. It is frustrating to have to wait for a follow-up. I remember reading the first Harry Potter book and it seemed to take forever before the next one came out. I also like anything by David Baldacci. Do you like listening to audio book, too? Often people who like to read a book don't like to listen to them.

message 26: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin  | 80 comments i never did an audio book. i like reading the book. i think if i did audio my attention wouldnt be with the book. i read the first four hp books in a month and then had to wait like a year and half for book five. lol so i feel your pain believe me lol.

message 27: by Katrina (new)

Katrina Knittle | 12 comments I try to read all the books in a series. Sometimes the sequels are good. It really all depends on the writing and story for me.

message 28: by Jojobean (new)

Jojobean | 675 comments I usually continue a series after the first book unless I really disliked the first book. I hardly ever find that sequels or the rest of the series are as good as the first book.

message 29: by John (new)

John Burnett | 23 comments In a sequel, is reading about the same characters more important that continuing a story line or are both equally important? I personally like to following characters as they age or advance in some way as well as there being continuity in the themes from the original book. How about you?

message 30: by John (new)

John Burnett | 23 comments Recently, especially in YAD fiction, there are so many sequels that try to cash in on the success of Harry Potter novels. Rarely, is the quality of sequels as good as the original. With some of the sequels, the characters "age out" or so many new characters are introduced just to keep the story flowing. Your thoughts, please.

message 31: by Morrigan (new)

Morrigan I do like to read the entire series, but only if I like it. Sometimes I just don't like a series, or there are far too many books and I feel overwhelmed. In which case, I will only read one or two.

message 32: by Morrigan (new)

Morrigan John wrote: "Recently, especially in YAD fiction, there are so many sequels that try to cash in on the success of Harry Potter novels. Rarely, is the quality of sequels as good as the original. With some of t..."

I completely agree! Even some older books, like the "Anne of Green Gables" series. The first couple of books are good, but things kind of peter out. I do like HP in that, while the characters grow and age, the story just gets stronger and stronger. But with so many YA book series, I find them dragging and dull after the first or second. So, in short, I agree, and tend to stay away from YA series. But I am always open to suggestions, so if anyone has any good series, PLEASE tell me!

message 33: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (booklover723) | 106 comments I always love the first book but then the next always I can never finish it .

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.