Interracial and African American Paranormal discussion

Random Discussions > Looking for some paranormal books based on African mythology

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Jackson (paperbackdiva) | 94 comments Africa is the second-largest continent in the world with one billion inhabitants, more than 1,000 languages spoken, and a massive variety of ethnic religions and myths.

It looks like a deep pool for paranormal ideas. I'd love to cop some titles to read that are based on a myth or supernatural creature from some of these stories. I think this would include Egyptian mythology and the Voodoo cultures of the New World.

message 2: by R.A. (new)

R.A. White (rawhite) | 70 comments Darkfall by Dean Koontz cemetary dance by preston child Dean Koontz' 'Darkfall' might fit your mood-it's about a detective who is investigating a series of murders that turn out to be directed by a Voodoo wizard/magician who's looking for vengance.

There's also Preston/Child's book Cemetary Dance is also about Voodoo, and involves reanimated corpses. Not sure if this what you had in mind, but it's all I can think of, personally.

message 3: by Cf (new)

Cf Check out African Immortals by Tananarive Due. The first book is My Soul to Keep.

message 4: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Jackson (paperbackdiva) | 94 comments Thanks everyone. A couple I've read. But keep em coming!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm actually interested in recommendations as well!

message 6: by Bret (new)

Bret (mistersweet) | 1 comments Andrea wrote: "Africa is the second-largest continent in the world with one billion inhabitants, more than 1,000 languages spoken, and a massive variety of ethnic religions and myths.

It looks like a deep pool ..."

Have you heard of "Among The Veils"? Egyptian and Yoruba mythology with Aztec and Chinese mythology mixed in as well.

message 7: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Jackson (paperbackdiva) | 94 comments Among the Veils (Paper Thrones, #1) by Bret Alexander Sweet sounds great. Thank you.

message 8: by A.D. (new)

A.D. Koboah (adkoboah) | 6 comments I haven't come across that many and would be interested in recommendations as well. Wild Seed by Octavia Butler probably isn't exactly what you're looking for, but it is an interesting book.

message 9: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Jackson (paperbackdiva) | 94 comments I love Octavia Butler. Haven't read Wild Seed yet.

message 10: by A.D. (new)

A.D. Koboah (adkoboah) | 6 comments Andrea wrote: "I love Octavia Butler. Haven't read Wild Seed yet."

I love her too and I'm looking forward to reading the rest of her books.

message 11: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Jackson (paperbackdiva) | 94 comments Has anyone read Midnight Robber by Nalo Hopkinson ? It looks fascinating.

message 12: by Cf (new)

Cf I would love to read Among the Veils. However, the book is not sold at Barnes and Noble. I have a Nook Color.

message 13: by Nadir (new)

Nadir Muhammad | 1 comments Seriously how the heck is Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman not anywhere on this list/ page or a part of any discussions? About the sons of an African/Caribbean trickster god.

message 14: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Philip (tamara_philip) | 26 comments Mod
omg thats true!