The Notebook (The Notebook, #1) The Notebook discussion

Bad writing style

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Zainab I only read a few pages of it so writing this comment may seem like I am talking out of ignorance but even a few pages in, I could tell that I would't like it for I did not like the writer's literary style and I didn't feel an overwhelming sense of connection with the novel and therefore it is the first book that I gave up on reading it before it really did become a disappointment.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

It was so so painful. I know everyone loved it. The movie had some good scenes. Some were..not so hot. I like some quotes from this author. Also, the nursing home scenes were very touching. The writing style was as bas as Twilight. I can feel people throwing stones at me. I'm sorry.

Sophia I know exactly what you mean. The writing style seems to me very juvenile, and the story was just ok to me. Every time someone says The Notebook is the best romance movie ever, I have to look at them like they are talking out of their ass.

Michele Rice Carpenter I was difficult to read. My mom loved it, so she gave it to me. I read it all and then went back to figure out why I didn't like it.

Melissa In my opinion, Nicholas Sparks writes fluff in the sense that it is simple to read and not at all literary. His books are good beach reads but not good when you are looking to really connect with a story and characters. There have only been a couple of his books that had characters with whom I felt connected to.

Sophia Yeah, but I read mainly romantic fluff and Spark's can't even compete with some of my favorite authors. There seems to be just something lacking... Character development maybe?

message 7: by Nur (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nur I usually love Nicholas Sparks books but this one was probably my least favourite next to Dear John.

MomToKippy So trite and cheesy, I stopped just short o the ending.

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* I have never been able to get into Nicholas Sparks. I find his writing laborious. The movies are much better. But, the worst writing I have ever tried to read would have to have been 50 Shades of Grey. I threw it away after 3 pages. Everyone else I know loved the series and raved about it.

January This is the only book that I know of that the movie was better than the book. That is a sad statement. I hauled myself through this book, waiting for the magic that was the movie and it never appeared. It was painful.

Janice SOOO obvious it hurts. Why is this stuff surfacing in the world of published work? And why is it that it has outsold books of far superior quality? It really makes me loose faith in people's taste

message 12: by Stephen (last edited Aug 13, 2014 06:15PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stephen Janice wrote: "SOOO obvious it hurts....It really makes me loose faith in people's taste "

Is that similar to letting "slip the dogs of war?"... or in this case the dogs of prose ;-)

Just teasing of course, but Nicholas Sparks is, in my opinion, several steps above E.L. James and Stephenie Meyer when it comes to crafting readable sentences. Neither is equal to F. Scott Fitzgerald but good story-telling and likable characters can go a long way toward creating an enjoyable read.

Connie I like most of Sparks' writing, but I agree, there is some depth missing. I think a lot of his characters (heroines mostly) are too similar. I think the best thing he wrote was Three Weeks with My Brother. It was nonfiction.

Robert Reynolds Above all else, I appreciate Nicholas Sparks for the brilliant conception of his work. He is...above almost every other writer...blessed with the elusive vision of what it is to be truly in love. And if he fails to deliver in prose what he promises in concept...how can anyone greatly fault him for vying with the Gods themselves??

Ellena Zainab wrote: "I only read a few pages of it so writing this comment may seem like I am talking out of ignorance but even a few pages in, I could tell that I would't like it for I did not like the writer's litera..."
Yes. I am glad someone agrees with me. I can't get into any of his books that I have read so far. They seem so sappy and predictable. Not knocking anyone that loves his writing. Read whatever you enjoy. It's just not for me.

Makayla I completely agree. Whenever I tell someone I don't like Nicholas Sparks' work they think I'm crazy. I just can't get into his style of writing. It's too straight forward and I'm not guess what'll happen next in the story. It's so predictable I already know. The movies are good if you're in the mood for a sappy romance but as for the books I don't feel like they're worth the time and effort to read.

message 17: by Sarah (new) - rated it 1 star

Sarah I think that goes without saying. It's Nicholas Sparks. Sure most people like the books, but if you actually talk to a real literary critic about a Nicholas Sparks book, they would laugh in your face. The writing is one big cliché, with unnecessary and painfully obvious statements that leave no room for interpretation. Ugh.

message 18: by Linda (new) - rated it 1 star

Linda Dobinson I am so glad that I am not the only person not to like The Notebook - I was beginning to feel guilty. I didn't warm to the characters and I found the whole thing claustrophobic and dull. I haven't seen the movie, it has got to be better than the book - but then that would not be difficult.

iloveromance I don't like this book either and to be honest, I love the 'promise" of Nicholas Sparks books but they just don't resonate with me at all. I've never really been able to get into any of them and the movies just aren't that good either. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Skylirr DONT READ THIS. YOU WILL BE KISSED ON THE NEAREST POSSIBLE FRIDAY BYrnTHE LOVE OF YOUR LIFE.TOMMOROW WILL BE THE BEST DAY OF YOUR LIFE. NOWrnYOU'VE STARTED READING THIS. DON'T STOP. THIS IS SO FREAKY.rn1. say your name ten times.rn2.say your mom's name five times.rn3. say your crushes three timesrn4. paste this to four other groups.rnIf you do this, your crush will kiss you on the nearest Friday.rnBut if you read this and do not paste this, then yournwill have very bad luck.rnSEND THIS TO 5 GROUPS IN 143 MINUTES. WHENrnYOU'RE DONE PRESS F6 AND YOUR CRUSH'S NAME WILL APPEAR IN BIG LETTERSrnON THE SCREEN. THIS IS SO FREAKY BECAUSE IT ACTUALLY WORKSrnrnrn

message 21: by Savannah (last edited Feb 09, 2015 09:25AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Savannah Silver Sophia wrote: "Yeah, but I read mainly romantic fluff and Spark's can't even compete with some of my favorite authors. There seems to be just something lacking... Character development maybe?"

Yeah, I think so. Also think some of his books are just to predictable and sappy compared to a bunch of other books I've read. Not any REALLY great plots or characters.

MomToKippy Makayla wrote: "I completely agree. Whenever I tell someone I don't like Nicholas Sparks' work they think I'm crazy. I just can't get into his style of writing. It's too straight forward and I'm not guess what'll ..."
So why did you rate it 5 stars?

Andrea Tomé I can only describe the writing style as lame. Sparks was trying so hard to sound poetic, but he didn't. Reading this book was almost painful to me, as the author wasn't able to maintain the suspension of disbelief. The narrator can't help but sound like a middle class 40 year old man.
And the descriptions of Allie and the sexual intercourses were simply embarrassing.

message 24: by Immortalitas (last edited Apr 07, 2015 11:15AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Immortalitas l think the problem with his style coming from the excessive romance, it is too romantic to be real that made it failed to touch us as readers. people like emotions but LOGIC IS ESSENTIAL, he didn't mention a single misunderstanding between them. IT is not a life it is A NOOOOOVELLLLL

Nicole Melissa wrote: "In my opinion, Nicholas Sparks writes fluff in the sense that it is simple to read and not at all literary. His books are good beach reads but not good when you are looking to really connect with ..."

Fluff! What a great word to describe his writing. I have to use that word more often! Lol
I don't mind a bit of romantic fluff once in a while, but it still has to be well written. You are right about character connections - I felt nothing for any of the Notebook characters.

message 26: by Jemimah Dhove (last edited Nov 11, 2015 12:10PM) (new) - added it

Jemimah Dhove Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* wrote: "I have never been able to get into Nicholas Sparks. I find his writing laborious. The movies are much better. But, the worst writing I have ever tried to read would have to have been 50 Shades of G..."

Absolutely! I'll never understand why anyone can love the 50 shades books. I gave up after just the first few chapters.

AmyLouAldaMay I think Nicholas Sparks has good stories, but not good writing. In truth, I think Nicholas Sparks is a screenwriter instead of a novelist - he just doesn't know it. I like his stories - in movie form, but I haven't picked up one of his books yet that I could read from start to finish. Ugh.
I feel similarly about Diana Gabaldon. I love her story of Outlander; HATE her writing. Couldn't make it through the book, but I can't tear my eyes away from the show.

message 28: by J.S. (last edited May 14, 2016 07:41AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

J.S. Ellis I remember I read it while I was on holiday finished it when I was having a bath I threw the book on the floor when I was done. Meh book read The Choice as well also meh.

Cassandra Parker Nur wrote: "I usually love Nicholas Sparks books but this one was probably my least favourite next to Dear John."

I usually love his books too, but this one missed the mark.

Marianne Brodman Great comments, everyone.

Melanie McFarland Wasn't this one of Nicholas Sparks's first books?

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

What amazes me is that this guy got a one million dollar deal for this book--if what he writes in his blog is correct. I wonder what is wrong with agents?! And I wonder what marvelous stories these idiots have dropped to publish this rubbish? And, no, his first book was Wokini that we wrote with Billy Mills, an American indian. No excuse if it were his first book, though.

Marianne Brodman haha

Loriltx Well, I thought “The Notebook” was great (it was his first book of fiction) as was the movie. I also thought his second book, “Message in a Bottle” was great although the movie was changed so much that it didn’t even resemble the book. After that, the books became just sappy romances, and not very good ones at that.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Loriltx wrote: "Well, I thought “The Notebook” was great (it was his first book of fiction) as was the movie. I also thought his second book, “Message in a Bottle” was great although the movie was changed so much ..."

I enjoyed both movies. But when I tried to read The Notebook I was shocked at how badly written it was. My taste, though.

Loriltx MrsRK wrote: "Loriltx wrote: "Well, I thought “The Notebook” was great (it was his first book of fiction) as was the movie. I also thought his second book, “Message in a Bottle” was great although the movie was ..."

I read the book when it first came out—several years before it was made into movie. I do remember that the movie stayed true to the book—unlike “Message in a Bottle.”

message 37: by Kaci (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kaci I love Nicholas Sparks, however I have to say I did not enjoy The Notebook. I loved the movie, though. But I had to force myself to finish the book. Maybe it was because I saw the movie first, I don't know. But I feel like the movie and the book were very different and I just liked the way the movie portrayed the story.

That said, he has so many beautifully written books and I've read most of them. If you wanted to give him another chance, I would recommend The Guardian, Safe Haven, and Nights in Rodanthe.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Kaci wrote: "I love Nicholas Sparks, however I have to say I did not enjoy The Notebook. I loved the movie, though. But I had to force myself to finish the book. Maybe it was because I saw the movie first, I do..."

I am not sure if this was meant to me. Nevertheless, I thank you for the kindly made suggestions. I might give them a try.

message 39: by Laura (new)

Laura Lewis His writing is too simplistic to be worth so much money. His repeats the same “discriptive” phrases over and over.