2014 Hub Reading Challenge discussion

Imprisoned: The Betrayal of Japanese Americans during World War II
This topic is about Imprisoned
Nonfiction Award > Imprisoned

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Leah I just finished this history book tonight, which, serendipitously, I was able to use for a school assignment (library school, Books and Materials for Young Adults. I have a feeling that I will try to use Hub Challenge books for other assignments this semester as much as possible!)

I think Sandler does a fantastic job of informing readers about a historical atrocity committed by our own government against its citizens. The book juxtaposes the text with striking and poignant photographs of Japanese-Americans being forced out of their homes and businesses, to be relocated to wastelands, swamps, and deserts with inadequate shelter, food, and medical attention. I felt that this history was exceptionally well-written, with great clarity of thought, and could appeal to any readers from middle-school through adulthood. I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in understanding how racial prejudice and fear-mongering has historically impacted our citizens, or to anyone who is interested in Japanese-American history, WWII history, or civil rights issues--both teens and adults.

bjneary | 19 comments Leah, I totally agree with your assessment of this truly well researched and written book that everyone should read about this dark period in history. This month, we have a discussion of this book on Goodreads
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
if you would like to participate.

message 3: by Allison (new) - added it

Allison | 21 comments Mod
I agree-- this is an incredibly powerful book. I wanted to stand up and cheer every time the author so deftly and clearly pointed out the injustice of the Japanese-American incarceration. It's a period of our history that has been often glossed over and swept under the rug to the point that many Americans who were alive when this was happening have never even heard of it, and that needs to change.

I'm hoping that the upcoming Broadway musical on this topic, Allegiance, will stir a renewed interest-- Sandler's book would make a good pairing for those who enjoy that musical and want to learn more.

Leah Allison wrote: "I agree-- this is an incredibly powerful book. I wanted to stand up and cheer every time the author so deftly and clearly pointed out the injustice of the Japanese-American incarceration. It's a pe..."

Thanks for the info about Allegiance, I just checked out their website (http://www.allegiancemusical.com/)! Super cool stuff.