Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2014 > Julia M's 2014 50 Challenge

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julia (new)

Julia Morales (juliamorales) | 11 comments Hullo there! I'm quite new to this group so I'll start by saying somethings about me.

My name is Julia, 17 years old currently, I'm from Brazil, I'm a major bookworm and fangirl. My fandoms include: Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, Hunger Games, LoTR (still haven't got the time to read them - the movies are amazing though), Doctor Who, Supernatural , Sherlock, and almost anything else sci-fy. I also love music, i play ukulele fairly well and I'm learning the piano.

Every year I try to read at least 50 books, but being a senior at school and struggling to get into a good college (here in Brazil is kinda harder to get to a good one), I may not be able to complete my 50 books challenge. :( I'm counting 7 up to now.

So, good meeting you guys, feel free to befriend me or talk here or message me or whatever. So let's start!!

message 2: by Julia (new)

Julia Morales (juliamorales) | 11 comments Book #1 - FINALE, by Becca Fitzpatrick
- 301 pages
- 01/01 to 01/04

Honestly, this series disappointed me a bit. Being a huge fan of sci-fy and supernatural beings and stories, I bought these under the impression they would blow my mind. The plot is actually really good, but the writing style and the main character's development reminded me a lot of Twilight (sorry for the comparison), which made me kind of bored after a while, and a little angry at some of the main character's "Bella" moments - where although obvious to everybody, she was oblivious to what was happening. If you enjoyed Twilight, maybe you'll enjoy this too, though it was a low point for me.

message 3: by Julia (new)

Julia Morales (juliamorales) | 11 comments Book #2 - PERCY JACKSON AND THE LAST OLYMPIAN, by Rick Riordan
- 319 pages E-book version
- 01/04 to 01/06

This was the second time I read the book (the series, actually, but the others were read in 2013), and once more I was amazed by the great use of greek mythology with nowadays settings. Truly one of the best books of the series, and Riordan's is one of the best authors I've read so far in my life. Though it was supposed to be a children's book, Percy captured me from the very first page of the very first book ( The Lightening Thief) and this fifth book is a wonderful ending to a marvelous series. Absolutely one series that I absolutely recommend

message 4: by Julia (new)

Julia Morales (juliamorales) | 11 comments Book #3 - THE RESTAURANT AT THE END OF THE UNIVERSE, by Douglas Adams
- 173 pages
- 01/07 to 01/13

As always, Douglas Adams's funny/dorky comedies captured my attention. A great sequel to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the galaxy, though for me it was a slow read. I recommend to all sci-fy/space nerds out there

message 5: by Julia (new)

Julia Morales (juliamorales) | 11 comments Book #4 - HOLES, by Louis Sachar
- 233 pages
- 01/13 to 01/14

Found this book among my 6th grade school notebooks and decided to reread it. Amazing plot, wonderfully yet childish writing, very simple, very easy to read, but breathtaking anyways.

message 6: by Julia (new)

Julia Morales (juliamorales) | 11 comments Book #5 - THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY, by Oscar Wilde
- 283 pages
- 01/15 to 01/21

Oh my God. Wilde is such a genius! Many times throughout the boom I had to stop and analyze what he said for it was so amazing and philosophical. Thus, it was another slow book for me, but it is amazing. So ahead of its time!

message 7: by Julia (new)

Julia Morales (juliamorales) | 11 comments Book #6 - SMOKE AND MIRRORS, by Neil Gaiman
- 384 pages
- 01/21 to 01/26

This was the first book by Gaiman I read, and also the first compilation of short stories. I really liked his style, it is simple and easy to read and understand, though some of the stories contain some dark or sexual stuff, so look out if you don't like this things. I personally enjoyed the book a lot and am looking forward to reading more of his stuff

message 8: by Julia (new)

Julia Morales (juliamorales) | 11 comments Book #7 - BRAVE NEW WORLD, by Aldous Huxley
- 259 pages
- 02/03 to 02/12

One of the most amazing books I've ever read. The futuristic dystopia created and published in 1932 is unbelievable. Seriously, the world where sexual intercourse is ok even among children, families and religion do not exist, and every bad thing can be forgotten by taking a pill, must have been hated and put aside by the time of its publication, but is so amazing every one should read it. Truly a modern era's classic

message 9: by Julia (new)

Julia Morales (juliamorales) | 11 comments Book #8 - THE BOOK THIEF, by Markus Zuzak
-550 pages
-02/13 to 02/26

One of the best written books I've ever read. Full of metaphors and imagery. And I won't lie, I cried for about 2 hours when I finished it

╟ ♫ Tima ♪ ╣ ♥ (tsunanisaurus) Welcome to the group and I hope you find it friendly and easy-going here! You've already read some books this year that I LOVED. And Gaiman is one of my favorite authors, though I haven't read Smoke and Mirrors yet! I also need to read Brave New World, it's been on my list for a long time and I've been avoiding it for some reason haha.

message 11: by Julia (new)

Julia Morales (juliamorales) | 11 comments Hahaha thank! I'm really excited about this group! I haven't read any othe Gaiman book yet, and people say Smoke and Mirrors is not his best one, but I loved it! You should read it sometime... Also, Brave New World is truly a masterpiece, everyone should read it.

message 12: by Julia (new)

Julia Morales (juliamorales) | 11 comments Book #9 - BRAVE NEW WORLD REVISITED, by Aldous Huxley
- 123 pages
- 02/20 to 03/05

Great complement to the novel Brave New World, it is a collection of essays written by the author to explain his dystopian world. The essays get philosophical and hard to read at times, due to extensive paragraphs, the book is very interesting and gives you a new perspective about the world we live in and how it can be manipulated