Writers and Readers discussion

Author Profiles > Jim Power, Nova Scotian writer

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (new)

Jim Power (jimpower) | 4 comments All Jim's books, including those written under his pen name of Summer Newman, can be found at Amazon. They are all listed at Jim Power Book Store:
https://www.facebook.com/jimpowerbooks

Link to Jim's Amazon profile page at:
amazon.com/author/jimpower

Jim Power (1957- ) has been published internationally by 60 magazines and newspapers, including by the Smithsonian Institution, and by many of the top outdoors magazines in North America. He has a long history of publishing fiction, from dozens of short stories in New York magazines to seven novels in 2013/2014. He studied Honors English at Saint Mary's University and majored in Russian Literature at Dalhousie University before becoming a writer.

Jim's father was buried in a bitter wind on Christmas Eve, 1956, leaving behind two small children and a wife eight months pregnant with him. He grew up in the small fishing village of Shad Bay, Nova Scotia, Canada and decided to become a writer at fifteen after reading a book of short stories by Fyodor Dostoevsky. He said that experience shook his world. Later, when reading Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, he felt physically ill and was unable to sleep, so strongly did her prose infect him. His first recollection of being a writer was at age five. He distinctly remembers racing out of the woods behind his house and telling his mother that he had seen a tiger, and it had even chased him. She shook her head at the silly fib. Determined to make his story sound more plausible, he instantly noted that an accident in Shad Bay had been reported on the radio, and it stated that a circus caravan had been traveling through the village and a truck had gone off the road. It contained a tiger, which had escaped, but not before killing the driver.

"That was an early lesson," Jim said. "Writing is in essence the art of trying to make readers believe your fictional story is real. In time, when writing novels, I found that my characters actually became real to me. They literally began to exist as separate, functioning individuals. This is essential, I think, because if you don't believe they're real, how can you expect others to?"

Jim was also once a dedicated hitch-hiker, hitch-hiking tens of thousands of kilometres in his life, including trips across Canada and from Nova Scotia to New York City, where he wormed his way into the Big Apple and played softball in Harlem on a beautiful Sunday morning in autumn.

Jim has a long history of playing sports, including fastball, lacrosse and tennis, and he loves the outdoors.

message 2: by A.F. (new)

A.F. (scribe77) | 1777 comments Mod
It's nice to see a fellow Nova Scotian in the group, welcome.

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim Power (jimpower) | 4 comments Why, thank you very much, A.F. What a nice thing to say. If you ever have time, drop by my blog and make a comment. I'd love to hear from you. Today's entry goes by the endearing title: "Should hate speech be protected."

https://www.goodreads.com/JimPower

message 4: by A.F. (new)

A.F. (scribe77) | 1777 comments Mod
Be happy to stop by.