UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

The Fence
This topic is about The Fence
Meet the Authors > Pete Carter - future action, extremists, new technology, comedy

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Pete Carter (petecarter) | 637 comments Hi to all readers. I'm Pete Carter and hope to introduce you to my books, recently published on Amazon Kindle. The genre is SF although one story is set on Earth in the very near future and the other quite definitely not Earth in the distant future.
The Fence by Pete Carter The Fence
The Year 2167 - 'The Fence' is a deadly electronic barrier placed around a large part of the Middle East to contain the hotbed of Islamic extremism, following atrocities 100 years before. Steve Wilder, a young American has developed a unique and powerful computer chip which both governments and extremists will do anything to get their hands on. The story slowly comes to the boil as Jay, Wilder's sentient computer, based on that same chip unearths a plot which seeks to destroy the Fence and unleash the trapped inhabitants. As the body count rises, a further more sinister motive, which could spell the end of mankind, is revealed. A frantic chase across the Middle East ensues to discover who is behind the inhuman plot, and stop them ... before it is too late.
This is the first part of the 'Jay' trilogy.
The Day Uncle Jimmy Learned to Fly by Pete Carter The Day Uncle Jimmy Learned to Fly
Kipper didn’t have an Uncle Jimmy, not a live one, that is, until he accidentally hit the dragon on the head, it flew off, and his Pa made him go and look for it. It was the day they awoke from hibernation to the warm snow. The strange man in an orange suit, who Kipper found by the river, seemed to know something about it, even if he was ignorant to all the other ways of this strange but ordinary looking planet. Pa let him keep the man, just so long as he trained him, and it was a very good thing he did. You could say it saved the day, but that wouldn't exactly be true….
A humorous tale seen through the eyes of a young boy to whom everything seems normal, and an adult who is totally confused, and in which the apparent fantasy situation has, at the end, a logical explanation. Well, kind of!

And just for fun:
Red Jake by Pete Carter Red Jake
Two very short non-genre stories. 'Red Jake' is an historical maritime romantic tragedy. 'Caveat Emptor' concerns a fortunate bargain purchased at auction. Although perhaps, not such a bargain after all....
Both stories are designed to raise goose-bumps.

I'd be very happy to invite discussion, questions or comments regarding any of the tales, before or after you've read them.

Pete Carter (petecarter) | 637 comments Pete wrote: "I'd be very happy to invite discussion, questions or comments regarding any of the tales, before or after you've read them."

Well, I said that back in February, and now it's September I thought I should break the resounding silence that followed!

I've been quite busy doing several things while waiting for you all to get in touch. First, I've been participating in chat in the various forums, and it's quite rewarding to find I'm in the company of many zany characters. I've offered advice on designing book covers, where to find the best beer, what dragons really look like, and so on. I've managed to get my two novels into paperback - not as easy as it sounds, but not difficult either - you just need patience and have to overcome that invariable male obstacle - (read the instructions first, dummo!) Well worth doing just to be able to hold your creation in your hands and say 'It looks just like a real book!' Which it is, of course, but it's my book, and that makes all the difference.

I'm now on my third 'short' story, to be published, I thought, as a compilation. The trouble is, the current story is rather running away with itself, and will end up as a novel. So that means I'll still have to come up with another story before I can publish the compilation. Unless I make it a trilogy of two...

Oh, and finally, I've been well and truly told off by Kim, moderator of this group. I had, in all innocence and unintentionally posted a thread suggesting people may wish to vote for my book as e-Book Miner BOTM (spam, apparently) in the wrong forum. He very politely and diplomatically pointed out the error of my ways : 'This is the first and final warning regarding spam in the SciFi and Fantasy Book Club. Authors are to only promote their books in the designated area, adhering to the rules therein.' (The accents are mine) Ouch! Glad I didn't do anything to really upset him! I sent a grovelling apology, of course.

Now, there must be something in there that tempts you to reply?

message 3: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25063 comments Kim? This group? Are you lost? :)

Pete Carter (petecarter) | 637 comments Kath wrote: "Kim? This group? Are you lost? :)"

At last - a reply! Thank you Kath - you've made my day!

I do confess to getting lost sometimes - there are so many groups, threads and topics that I often forget which main group I'm in when replying or reading. For example, I just had a nose at your profile to see if you were SF oriented and discovered 'the magical world of books' group, which I immediately joined! So I'm doubly glad you responded or I never would have found it.

And yes, sorry- Kim is Czar of SciFi and Fantasy Book Club (not this one) under which I'd posted the new topic in what I thought was the 'Author's books' thread, but obviously not. I can't remember because he deleted it straight away.

message 5: by Kath (last edited Sep 11, 2014 05:06AM) (new)

Kath Middleton | 25063 comments The ratbag! Fancy deleting a nice chap like you. You actually have to throw bacon at the mod here to get dele... oh, wait. She'd love that!

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments BACON.. I'm just about to have breakfast.

Pete Carter (petecarter) | 637 comments Kath wrote: "The ratbag! Fancy deleting a nice chap like you. You actually have to throw bacon at the mod here to get dele... oh, wait. She'd love that!"

Oh my goodness - she gets everywhere, doesn't she? But of course, as mod she's got an app to detect the word 'bacon' in any message - just in case there's any free bacon offers floating around!

Has there ever been a poll to see who has butter in their bacon sarnies? (Me: Oh yes!)

Pete Carter (petecarter) | 637 comments Gingerlily - Elephant Philosopher wrote: "BACON.. I'm just about to have breakfast."

You wrote that at 5.05 AM !!!! That's still the middle of the night in Bedfordshire.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments that wasn't at 5.05 am. The time on that is wrong. I have never eaten bacon at 5am! I think we're on american time or something...

message 10: by Pete (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pete Carter (petecarter) | 637 comments Gingerlily - Elephant Philosopher wrote: "I have never eaten bacon at 5am!"

I have!

Used to go night-fishing in a previous life and 5am was both breakfast time and the most heartwarming part of the day. If you have never seen dawn break over a quiet lake, a faint mist swirling across it's surface, mayflies reflecting the gold of the rising sun, you just haven't lived. I never caught anything worth shouting about but the break of dawn was reward enough. Oh, and the cold bacon sarnies and extra-brewed lukewarm thermos coffee.

message 11: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25063 comments I have butter on a bacon sandwich. I think it's a southern thing not to. :(

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Hand over the bacon, Pete.

I require a bribe to get over the insult of being thought of as a spam deleting monster.

Oh. Wait.

message 13: by Pete (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pete Carter (petecarter) | 637 comments Patti (baconater) wrote: "Hand over the bacon, Pete.

I require a bribe to get over the insult of being thought of as a spam deleting monster.

Oh. Wait."

Yeah, wait. You don't like spam, only bacon. Suggest delete it. (Or give it to Kim.)

Beverley Carter | 199 comments Kath wrote: "I have butter on a bacon sandwich. I think it's a southern thing not to. :("

I think it's just lazy. I'm a southern softy and I have butter on everything. Well, obviously not everything, that would be weird, unhygienic and possibly immoral. I think I've been working too hard today.

message 15: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25063 comments My grandmother used to say that butter never ruined anything but black velvet!

Beverley Carter | 199 comments Kath wrote: "My grandmother used to say that butter never ruined anything but black velvet!"

I'll try to remember that!

message 17: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21944 comments Kath wrote: "My grandmother used to say that butter never ruined anything but black velvet!"

Probably true

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Ve...

Apparently it was once 'the' student drink. I remember talking to a chap on Birmingham station as I was heading home from Uni and he started remembering his own student days, and back in the 50s, it was what they all drank. Mind you they were on better grants back then

message 18: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25063 comments My nanna, as a card-carrying Methodist, would definitely have meant her long skirts!

message 19: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21944 comments My Grandmother was CofE but married to a Methodist, and she was the one who had to feed all the lay preachers etc.
But they always had a bottle of rum in the house because Rum is medicinal and a food ingredient and my grandfather was of the generation who got the army rum ration

message 20: by Pete (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pete Carter (petecarter) | 637 comments Kath wrote: "My grandmother used to say that butter never ruined anything but black velvet!"

What's Elizabeth Taylor's horse got to do with butter?