Parents of Tweens (9-14) discussion

Discussions > Do You Still Read to Your Tween?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane (new)

Diane | 129 comments Mod
How many of you still read to your 9-14 year old children? If not, at what age did you stop?

I still read to my kids (5th and 7th grade). I will be very sad when they no longer want me to read to them. The younger of my children is already showing signs of reluctance.

message 2: by Michelle (last edited Feb 13, 2014 06:09AM) (new)

Michelle Isenhoff (michelleisenhoff) I still read to my almost 12-year-old. He's homeschooled and dyslexic, so I suspect we'll be doing it a good while longer. His older sister stopped joining us at age 13. (Because we read too slow. She kept stealing the book and finishing ahead of us.)

message 3: by Sherrie (new)

Sherrie Petersen (sherriepetersen) | 2 comments I have an 11yo girl and a 14yo boy. They both still like to be read to, though not every day. When we go on long car trips I usually read out loud to the family. We read the entire Harry Potter series together, mostly in the car :)

message 4: by Diane (new)

Diane | 129 comments Mod
Sherrie wrote: "We read the entire Harry Potter ser..."

That's a lot of car riding!

message 5: by Noemi (new)

Noemi Gamel | 3 comments I thought this was an interesting question! Yes, I still read to my tween. I read to my children, ages 7 and 12, each night before bed. Some titles have included: Esperanza Rising, Where the Mountain Meets the Moon, Where the Red Fern Grows, and Skinny Bones. I am dreading the day these bedtime reads end. Is it possible to freeze time?

message 6: by Doug (new)

Doug Schmidt (dkschmidt) | 5 comments As a teacher I encourage my parents to read to and with their children. Int encourages dialogue and the parents can model the way a book can be read and enjoyed. Also as an adult you can enrich the child's reading and vocabulary by reading books that would be beyond their abilities to read on their own.

message 7: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (cpassage) | 9 comments Doug wrote: "As a teacher I encourage my parents to read to and with their children. Int encourages dialogue and the parents can model the way a book can be read and enjoyed. Also as an adult you can enrich t..."

I find it really helps to read to my tween and teens when the book is difficult but I am convinced its worth it. For example, The Count of Monte Cristo or Red Badge of Courage can be tough to get into because of the dated style of writing but by reading aloud and discussing together we both get the excitement of the story and get past the challenging language. Particularly unfamiliar dialect styles.

message 8: by Doug (new)

Doug Schmidt (dkschmidt) | 5 comments Once my teenage son came into help in my classroom and I had him read to a few kids in the hall. Another teacher poked her head in my classroom and asked if he was my son. She said he read just like I do. Biggest complement I could have had.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I still try to fit in reading to my grandmother and my tween sister. ;)

message 10: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rnew5) | 1 comments I do!! They are 10 and 13 and I hope we have many years of reading together to come.

message 11: by Kate (new)

Kate | 2 comments Sherrie wrote: "I have an 11yo girl and a 14yo boy. They both still like to be read to, though not every day. When we go on long car trips I usually read out loud to the family. We read the entire Harry Potter ser..."

I think that's a great use of time and a great way to show kids how important it is to keep reading!

message 12: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 2 comments Yes, I do. We just finished The Boy on the Wooden Box. I will read to them as long as they will let me. We also always have an audible book going in the car.

Kids can listen to books about two grade levels higher than their reading level. :)

message 13: by Diane (new)

Diane | 129 comments Mod
My kids and I also enjoy listening to audiobooks together when we go on long roadtrips.

message 14: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Roberts | 3 comments Long ago I read "For Reading Out Loud," a book which changed our thinking. We were parents of toddlers and foster parents of a young teen then. There was always at least one picture book at bedtime and every room is filled with books, but we immediately started a policy of reading harder books aloud as a family and later incorporated audiobooks into our routine. I cannot stress enough the difference it has made in the family dynamic. We love to hear stories together and discuss them. Our oldest is home from college now, and though not a great reader, he still loves to get involved.

message 15: by Jonnie (new)

Jonnie Deitz | 2 comments My son has always had a love of reading and he is 9 yrs old now. He loves reading with me. Instead of me doing all the reading now I make him read a chapter then I read 3ish chapters. Right now we are reading book 3 in the 39 clues series.