THE Group for Authors! discussion

Publishing and Promoting > New "Authors Only" Group

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marlana (new)

Marlana Williams (marlanawilliams) Hello, authors! The new group Authors Only was created yesterday and already has 23 members. There, we can discuss writing, the business, GR, and all things in between. We'll share information and hopefully have some fun! The group is private, and you must have a valid GR author profile to be accepted. Sorry, readers, we love you, and still intend to participate here, but this group is just for us! Thank you for understanding. :)

Click here to join!

message 2: by Pattimari (new)

Pattimari | 66 comments Sounds like an excellent group. I've been writing for over 5 years, so not new.
Pattimari Sheets Cacciolfi

message 3: by Edward (new)

Edward Wolfe (edwardmwolfe) Pattimari wrote: "Sounds like an excellent group. I've been writing for over 5 years, so not new.
Pattimari Sheets Cacciolfi"

I think just the group is new.

New "Authors Only" Group

message 4: by Pattimari (new)

Pattimari | 66 comments I am laughing. I misunderstand. THank you.
Pattimari

message 5: by Edward (new)

Edward Wolfe (edwardmwolfe) Pattimari wrote: "I am laughing. I misunderstand. THank you.
Pattimari"

I read it the same way you did at first, wondering if I qualified as a new author.

I went to join the group, but then saw in combination: the warning against bullying, and a member named James, who may or may not be the same James who is overly sensitive and drops bully accusations when the wind blows the wrong way. I have no tolerance for crybabies and would be ousted the first day if that's the same James.

message 6: by Pattimari (new)

Pattimari | 66 comments Too bad James gets in the way of you joining.

message 7: by Marlana (new)

Marlana Williams (marlanawilliams) Geez.. okay I'll edit the topic title! LOL

message 8: by Nick (new)

Nick (nickanthony51) | 400 comments Well, the title surely explains why Holly does not want readers to be part of the group.

Poorly worded and poorly punctuated...

message 9: by Marlana (new)

Marlana Williams (marlanawilliams) Edward wrote: "Pattimari wrote: "I am laughing. I misunderstand. THank you.
Pattimari"

I read it the same way you did at first, wondering if I qualified as a new author.

I went to join the group, but then saw i..."

I am not aware of who's who. I'm just getting to know everyone now, and so far it's been a good group. :) I like to consider slates clean when people join.

message 10: by Pattimari (new)

Pattimari | 66 comments Holly wrote: "Edward wrote: "Pattimari wrote: "I am laughing. I misunderstand. THank you.
Pattimari"

I went to join the group,..."

I'm looking forward to getting to everybody and their books.

message 11: by Edward (new)

Edward Wolfe (edwardmwolfe) Pattimari wrote: "Too bad James gets in the way of you joining."

I checked. It's a different James. I'll see if I can be a worthy member. :)

message 12: by Pattimari (new)

Pattimari | 66 comments Great.

message 13: by Marcy (new)

Marcy (marshein) | 214 comments Nick wrote: "Well, the title surely explains why Holly does not want readers to be part of the group.

Poorly worded and poorly punctuated..."

I disagree. The quotation marks clearly indicate that what's new is the nature of the group, not the authors.

message 14: by Edward (new)

Edward Wolfe (edwardmwolfe) Marcy wrote: "I disagree. The quotation marks clearly indicate that what's new is the nature of the group, not the authors. "

Originally, there wasn't punctuation, so it could have been read two ways.

message 15: by Marcy (new)

Marcy (marshein) | 214 comments Oh. I saw it with the quote marks only.

message 16: by Marcy (new)

Marcy (marshein) | 214 comments Attention Holly! Attention People! I just noticed that on my Author Page, in the place where recent GR activities are posted, my latest post, the one just above, is up. If this group is private, shouldn't that be disallowed?

message 17: by Marlana (new)

Marlana Williams (marlanawilliams) Marcy wrote: "Attention Holly! Attention People! I just noticed that on my Author Page, in the place where recent GR activities are posted, my latest post, the one just above, is up. If this group is private, sh..."

I just looked at your profile and I don't see it. Private and secret groups don't show the information, but since it's your page maybe that's why you see it?

message 18: by Marcy (new)

Marcy (marshein) | 214 comments It's on the right, way down on the page.

message 19: by Marlana (new)

Marlana Williams (marlanawilliams) It's not visible to me, and that's likely because it's a private group. It will show only to you.

message 20: by Marcy (new)

Marcy (marshein) | 214 comments I hope you're right.

message 21: by Marlana (new)

Marlana Williams (marlanawilliams) If you make an account and take a look at your profile, you'll see what I mean. I looked at your profile now and on my private profile and I only see that your activity includes leaving comments here on the GR Author Feedback group, and you left a comment on a photo on Desolation Row, you put up books you're reading, and left comments on All About Animals. That's all I see.

message 22: by Molly (new)

Molly Weis (mollyweis) | 21 comments I am a relatively 'new author', and would love to join this 'new group'. Does anyone have any advice with regard to utilizing Giveaways. I have scheduled one, but this is my first swipe at it so I'm not too sure what to expect beyond the published rules of the game.

message 23: by Camryn (new)

Camryn Noble | 5 comments I'm in the process of writing a book and going to publish soon, although I have absolutely no frickin' clue about how to create an author's profile. Is there anyway I can join without one, still being a "new author"?

message 24: by Molly (new)

Molly Weis (mollyweis) | 21 comments Camryn wrote: "I'm in the process of writing a book and going to publish soon, although I have absolutely no frickin' clue about how to create an author's profile. Is there anyway I can join without one, still be..."

Hi Camryn- do you already have an ISBN for the book? If so, it is relatively easy to create an author's profile.

message 25: by Camryn (new)

Camryn Noble | 5 comments Molly- unfortunately I don't. I figured out how to make a bio, but not an author's one. I still had interest in joining the group though, since I have written a few books that are due to be published soon. Thanks so much for your help :)

message 26: by Molly (new)

Molly Weis (mollyweis) | 21 comments No worries Camryn. Once you have ISBN numbers for your book(s), it is easy to convert your member account to an Author Account. Just message me and I can explain in short detail how to do it.

message 27: by Molly (new)

Molly Weis (mollyweis) | 21 comments Once you have a 'reader account' and a published book you should be able to set up an Author's Account by doing the following:
1.-Sign in to your reader account
2.-In the search field at the top of the website search for your book by name, ISBN, or author name
3.-When you click on your book it will take you to the a page for the book, underneath the book should be your name as the published author, click on your name
4.-Click on the link that says 'Let Us Know' to the right of 'Is this You'?
5.-A message will let you know that GR is reviewing your submission and that it may take up to 'X' amount of time before you will receive a verification email that an Author Account has been started for you.

IF YOUR BOOK ISN'T YET PUBLISHED- you can go to the Goodreads Librarian Group and ask for assistance in adding your book. From there you would follow the steps above.

I hope this helps - Molly

message 28: by Robert (new)

Robert Kelly (robertmkelly) | 48 comments Molly, I think you'll like the Giveaways. I have done two and given away 4 books. I think it's a small price to pay for the heady feeling of witnessing hundreds of new readers notice your book and put it on their "to-read" shelf. Having said that, it's certainly not a slam dunk. For example, there is no guarantee that the "want to read" numbers can ever be converted to "bought-it-and-read-it" numbers. For another, there's no guarantee that the winners will actually review it.

I'm curious as to how this can be a member's only group meant for people with authors pages, yet Camryn is asking about how to make an author's page? No offense meant to you Camryn, I'm just wondering if the author's page is required to join this group, or not?

message 29: by Camryn (new)

Camryn Noble | 5 comments Hi Robert,
I'm a little new to goodreads, so I hope my explanation makes sense. I think this is a forum so anyone can comment. To join the group, you need to have a valid gr profile. I didn't know how to make one since I'm due to publish in a couple of months. So yes, you do need an author's page. Hope I helped :)

message 30: by Molly (new)

Molly Weis (mollyweis) | 21 comments Robert wrote: "Molly, I think you'll like the Giveaways. I have done two and given away 4 books. I think it's a small price to pay for the heady feeling of witnessing hundreds of new readers notice your book and ..."

Thanks for that Robert. I am looking forward to the start of my Giveaway and to see what type of results I get. I appreciate your feedback.

message 31: by Robert (new)

Robert Kelly (robertmkelly) | 48 comments Thx Camryn, I appreciate that. I think I got it now. Best of luck to you.

Molly, be sure to add a few extra sizes to your hat size for when the hundreds of responses roll in! That's the best part!

message 32: by Molly (new)

Molly Weis (mollyweis) | 21 comments I hope you are right! I'll hang back first so I don't get my hopes up too much. If it is a wild success then I will do a quiet little dance with my new hats (in all sizes).

Thanks Robert.

message 33: by Edward (last edited Feb 23, 2014 05:08PM) (new)

Edward Wolfe (edwardmwolfe) Molly wrote: "I am a relatively 'new author', and would love to join this 'new group'. Does anyone have any advice with regard to utilizing Giveaways. I have scheduled one, but this is my first swipe at it so I'..."

Molly, I would recommend that you don't give away too many books, and that you limit the countries to the U.S.

It's really expensive to send them to other countries, and honestly, there's a decent chance that the person who gets your book will have no interest it, but entered to win it, just because it was being given away.

As Robert said, you'll see a lot of people adding your book to their To Read list, but that means nothing. The option to add it is a default setting on the giveaway page and it should not be taken to mean that any one of the hundreds of people adding it has any intention of reading it.

Some of them might, but you'll have no way of knowing unless you start seeing people putting your book on their Currently Reading shelf.

Another thing to be aware of is some people enter the giveaway so they can sell your book if they win. A person can do anything they want with something they own, but it's disheartening when you're thinking that you're getting some exposure and making people aware of your book, and you're paying for this tiny bit of exposure, and then you see that someone was just using your effort and hopes to make a few bucks.

I'm sorry if this sounds discouraging, but I'm telling you the things I wish I had known when I first did giveaways on GR.

My advice is that you would be far, far better off spending the money on ordering 10 or 20 of your books and handing them out to people where you live.

It will cost less and you'll know if the person you're giving it to has an interest or not.

Buying and shipping 5 of my books around the world cost me over a hundred dollars. I could have bought at least 30 paperbacks and given them away to people who would be excited to receive them - in person. And those people are more likely to talk about you and your book to someone else.

They just met an author and got an autograph. That's a big deal to some people. On Goodreads, you're more likely to be viewed as little more than an annoying imposter.

Word-of-mouth advertising is the most important thing to focus on when launching your career as an author. Give it thought and consider if your actions and your expenditures will aid in helping make that happen.

I feel like I'm giving you a dark view of things, but I'm just sharing my experience and I don't know what's worse - seeing you excited about your giveaway, or letting you know in advance, that it might turn out not be so great.

But maybe your experience will be different. I hope it is!

message 34: by Shaun (new)

Shaun Horton | 39 comments Everything there are real concerns, at the same time though, everyone that enters into your giveaway now knows your book is out there, whether they have a real interest in reading it or not, and that could be counted as a win regardless.

As for people just trying to win in order to re-sell your books, that could be considered just extra exposure as well. One thing you could do to discourage it, is to sign the books specifically to the winner. I've seen it said that while signed books can be worth more, the value actually drops when it's signed to someone specifically. Don't know if that's true or not, but it's a thought.

message 35: by Nick (new)

Nick (nickanthony51) | 400 comments Shaun,

An autographed book is worth whatever it is worth no mater who it is signed to...

Collectors are buying the autograph...

message 36: by June (new)

June Ahern (juneahern) | 78 comments Edward wrote: "Molly wrote: "I am a relatively 'new author', and would love to join this 'new group'. Does anyone have any advice with regard to utilizing Giveaways. I have scheduled one, but this is my first swi..."

Edward wrote: "Molly wrote: "I am a relatively 'new author', and would love to join this 'new group'. Does anyone have any advice with regard to utilizing Giveaways. I have scheduled one, but this is my first swi..."

In both responses I see wisdom, good advise and experience for I've realized it too. Giveaways: for the many I sent out from both novels, not that many left reviews or even starred them. I made the mistake of adding GB the first time. I agree, give copies to those you meet or know, for a review is better chance, but being on the give-away does attract many more potential buyers as I've experienced. My sales always go up at least a few during give-aways. It's marketing and if you aren't willing to market consistently, you will not sell books. I've done okay and met many, many wonderful people. Have a great, fun time and enjoy the journey. Keep your day job. Peace and out - June Ahern, Author

message 37: by Molly (new)

Molly Weis (mollyweis) | 21 comments I wish there were a switch to flip to get the creative juices flowing. Some mornings I feel as though there is a thawing period where I have to let the coffee sink in and my brain cells charge before I can start writing. The problem of course is that by the time all systems are 'go', the rest of the world is awake and needing something.

Anyone know of a good writer's retreat - preferably one no where near Kathy Bates?

message 38: by Camryn (new)

Camryn Noble | 5 comments Molly wrote: "I wish there were a switch to flip to get the creative juices flowing. Some mornings I feel as though there is a thawing period where I have to let the coffee sink in and my brain cells charge befo..."
Find what inspires you. For me, I need to shower and go directly to bed with the lights off. My creative juices flow best around then, and even though it means I go to bed sometimes around six o'clock, it's worth it. If beaches inspire you, listen to beach noises on YouTube and look up pictures on google images. My best advice is not to write when your not feeling inspired. If you write because you feel obligated to, those chapters feel not as into it as the rest of the book. If you feel like writing a mystery today, but your writing a fantasy all the other times, don't feel pressured to stick to one book. I have a few books going at once. Sometimes if you just get past the initial block after writing a few sentences, you'll be into it. My last tip is to read something that pertains to your book. Hope I helped with the little time that I had.

message 39: by Molly (new)

Molly Weis (mollyweis) | 21 comments Camryn wrote: "Molly wrote: "I wish there were a switch to flip to get the creative juices flowing. Some mornings I feel as though there is a thawing period where I have to let the coffee sink in and my brain cel..."

Thanks Camryn, you did help, and you are right. I have gotten so far in my pet project novel right now that the end is in sight, and I keep pushing myself. Meanwhile my current 'mood' would probably be more conducive to working on one of my other books. Ugh.

Good advice - so funny how the simple truth alludes us sometimes!

message 40: by Molly (new)

Molly Weis (mollyweis) | 21 comments Edward wrote: "Molly wrote: "I am a relatively 'new author', and would love to join this 'new group'. Does anyone have any advice with regard to utilizing Giveaways. I have scheduled one, but this is my first swi..."

Thank you Edward. I just saw your post. I see what you are saying. Maybe holding a 1-2 book giveaway next time would be more feasible, as I did 10 this time. I feel silly, but I hadn't actually considered the fact that overseas postage is exponentially more expensive. I had read a post by an author who said that their book had taken off in Europe but didn't gain traction here for a couple of years, which is what prompted me to opt for the overseas part. Great! This will be one of those lessons learned scenarios, I can tell. Thanks again, I appreciate your input.

Molly Weis