The County Library discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Reader's Choice > Reader's Choice Spring 2014

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ruby (last edited Feb 13, 2014 03:18PM) (new)

Ruby (rcheezy48) | 35 comments Here's a list of the current 24 Reader's Choice titles. Be sure to comment as you read them...and don't forget to vote and turn in your ballot at your neighborhood Salt Lake County Library for a chance to win a $25 gift card to Barnes & Noble!

Blackberry Winter by Sarah Jio
The Burning Air by Erin Kelly
Dead Anyway by Chris Knopf
Frozen Solid by James M Tabor
The Girls' Guide to Love and Supper Clubs by Dana Bate
Ghostman by Roger Hobbs
House Girl by Tara Conklin
Kind of Kin by Rilla Askew
Lowcountry Boil by Susan Boyer
A Natural History of Dragons by Marie Brennan
Norwegian by Night by Derek Miller
Office of Mercy by Ariel Djanikian
Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline
Paging the Dead by Brynn Bonner
The Plum Tree by Ellen Wiseman
The Promse of Stardust by Priscille Sibley
Rage Against the Dying by Becky Masterman
River of No Return by Bee Ridgway
Slickrock Paradox by Stephen Legault
The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat by Edward Moore
Union Street Bakery by Mary Ellen Taylor
Whistling Past the Graveyard by Susan Crandall
Winter Witch by Paula Brackston
The World's Strongest Librarian by Josh Hanagarne

Which ones have y'all read so far? Which are your favorites and why?

alisonwonderland (Alison) | 60 comments I already had a number of these on my to-read list, so I'm eager to read and report on them in the coming few months!

I did read Whistling Past the Graveyard recently. I enjoyed it, but it was easy to put down and not pick up again for a while - so I gave it three stars. I did enjoy the discussion my book club had about the book, especially regarding the importance of talking today about racism in the past.

message 3: by Ruby (new)

Ruby (rcheezy48) | 35 comments alisonwonderland wrote: "I already had a number of these on my to-read list, so I'm eager to read and report on them in the coming few months!

I did read Whistling Past the Graveyard recently. I enjoyed i..."

"Whistling" was one of my favorites from the current group...probably because I could relate since I grew up in the South in the 1960's (which is now considered "historical fiction"!)

message 4: by Becky (new)

Becky | 45 comments I added these to my "to read" list:
The Winter Witch
The Worlds Strongest Librarian
The Slickrock Paradox
The Promise of Stardust
The Plum Tree
Orphan Train
The Office of Mercy: A Novel
The House Girl
The Girls' Guide to Love and Supper Clubs

message 5: by April (new)

April | 7 comments I finished Office of Mercy this week. It left me conflicted. The philosophies of the society in the book disturb me. To think that for more than 300 years the people would accept the life the Alphas chose for them and the things the Alphas do or cause their people to do. I didn't really expect the outcome from the book blurb.
How's that for a review without giving anything important away?

message 6: by Ruby (new)

Ruby (rcheezy48) | 35 comments Becky wrote: "I added these to my "to read" list:
The Winter Witch
The Worlds Strongest Librarian
The Slickrock Paradox
The Promise of Stardust
The Plum Tree
Orphan Train
The Office of Mercy: A Novel
The House G..."

You've picked some great titles to read. Thanks for supporting our Reader's Choice program, and don't forget to vote!

message 7: by Ruby (new)

Ruby (rcheezy48) | 35 comments April wrote: "I finished Office of Mercy this week. It left me conflicted. The philosophies of the society in the book disturb me. To think that for more than 300 years the people would accept the life the Alp..."

Great teaser, April. You've given us just enough to make us want to read it....without spoiling the ending!

message 8: by Ruby (new)

Ruby (rcheezy48) | 35 comments So we've had the nominees up for about a month....what's your favorite book so far?

message 9: by Ashley (last edited Apr 25, 2014 06:58PM) (new)

Ashley (ashleyriches) | 23 comments I have read seven so far !!!

The River Of No Return...not my type of book...enjoyed it but would never have chosen it if it had not been a readers choice nominee !!....4 stars !!!

Union Street Bakery....my kind of book and an easy read !!!...4 stars !!!!

The Girls' Guide To Love and Supper Clubs 4 stars...again an easy read !!....4 stars !!!

The Burning Air....Intense....LOVED IT...5 stars !!!!

The Supremes At Earl's All-You-Can-Eat....Feel good....4 stars !!!!

The House Girl.....Heartwrenching and informative as well.. 5 stars !!!!

Orphan Train......Sad at times but very important information concerning our history and what went on here in the USA.....5 stars !!!!

message 10: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Shidler | 1 comments I also have read The Office of Mercy and loved the story line right up until the end... I won't spoil it but very disappointing ending!

message 11: by Ruby (new)

Ruby (rcheezy48) | 35 comments I haven't read that one yet....thanks for not spoiling it, maybe I'll give it a go.

message 12: by Ruby (new)

Ruby (rcheezy48) | 35 comments Ashley wrote: "I have read three so far !!!

The River Of No Return 4 stars...not my type of book...enjoyed it but would never have chosen it if it had not been a readers choice nominee !!

Union Street Bakery 4 ..."

Glad you found some new titles and authors on our current Reader's Choice list!

message 13: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashleyriches) | 23 comments Ruby wrote: "So we've had the nominees up for about a month....what's your favorite book so far?"

Just finished The Burning Air yesterday..loved it..5 stars !!!

message 14: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 40 comments So far I've gotten to Kind of Kin, Slickrock Paradox, and World's Strongest Librarian, which was my favorite of the three (my library makes a quick cameo!). I've taken home Norwegian by Night, but haven't cracked it open yet.

message 15: by Ruby (new)

Ruby (rcheezy48) | 35 comments Stephanie wrote: "So far I've gotten to Kind of Kin, Slickrock Paradox, and World's Strongest Librarian, which was my favorite of the three (my library makes a quick cameo!). I've taken home Norwegian by Night, but ..."

Way to go, Stephanie! I really liked Norwegian by Night. The main character is about 82 yrs old and I hope I'm as resourceful as he is when I get that age (which, is not that far off!)

message 16: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 371 comments Mod
David Finch, New York Times bestselling author of Reader's Choice selection The Journal of Best Practices: A Memoir of Marriage, Asperger Syndrome, and One Man's Quest to Be a Better Husband will be appearing at Herriman Library on Saturday April 12th @ 3pm.
David will speak about his book and be available for questions. You can purchase his book at the event and have it signed. Attendance is free.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.