Struggling Writers discussion

Stuck on Your Writing? > In YA, how much age difference should there be between the guy and the girl?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nuzhat (new)

Nuzhat Yousuf (shababa51) | 47 comments I'm writing one and in my book the girl is in school and 17 yr old and the guy is on college. I can't think of his age!

message 2: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) | 2500 comments With young adults age gaps seem a lot more significant than in adults. I would say no more than three or four years. If I were you I would go with a two year age gap, but that is me.

message 3: by R.F.G. (new)

R.F.G. Cameron | 601 comments Age differences are a bone of contention for many, so see more than two or three years difference in age as perverse, others don't.

Depending on the type relationship (platonic or otherwise), mental maturity of the pair, and the age of consent where the fictional characters live, a difference of two years and up may or may not be a problem.

message 4: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) | 2500 comments R.F.G. wrote: "Age differences are a bone of contention for many, so see more than two or three years difference in age as perverse, others don't.

Depending on the type relationship (platonic or otherwise), ment..."

Very true, and it is something that has shifted overtime (and will continue to shift). It also widely varies depending on cultures.

message 5: by R.F.G. (new)

R.F.G. Cameron | 601 comments Irene,

Yes, age differences and what is acceptable depend on era, culture, and whether or not people 'click'.

Like any relationship (fictional or real), whether it works or not depends on the commitment of the individuals involved.

message 6: by Nuzhat (new)

Nuzhat Yousuf (shababa51) | 47 comments Thnx!

message 7: by R.F.G. (new)

R.F.G. Cameron | 601 comments Nuzhat wrote: "Thnx!"

Good luck