r/books discussion

Frankenstein
This topic is about Frankenstein
Open Discussion > Adaptations of Frankenstein?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jennifer | 185 comments I need to chose a Victorian text and a literary adaptation for my British Novel research paper this semester. Frankenstein is always a text I have wanted to read but have never gotten to, so I am leaning towards that. Do any of you have a good adaptation (novel) that you would recommend? It needs to be something that is going to have enough "meat" to lend itself to a 15-20 page paper.

Alternatively, I would be open to an adaptation of A Portrait of Dorian Gray.

:) Thanks

Duncan | 1 comments Hate to break it to you but Frankenstein isn't a Victorian text. It was published in 1818, whereas Victoria came to the throne in 1837.

Dickens is perhaps considered the pre-eminent author of that era, and many of his books have been adapted, but for a paper his books are lengthy. There are also The Bronte sisters, Thomas Hardy, George Eliot to consider. Almost all their novels have been adapted for TV if not film.

If you wanted something close (in some respects) to Frankenstein, you could consider Dracula, Dr Jeckyll and Mr Hyde or The War of The Worlds?

Then you have things like Sherlock Holmes (you have traditional adaptations as well as the recent BBC series to discuss) or Treasure Island. The list goes on!

But The Picture of Dorian Grey is a good choice - plenty to talk about in terms of symbolism and so on. Good for a school paper for sure.

Jennifer | 185 comments I worded that poorly. The course focuses on Victorian texts, but the research paper itself needs a 19th Century text and a "Neo-Victorian", post-1930 literary adaptation.