Parents of Tweens (9-14) discussion

Discussions > What Book Is Your Tween Reading Now?

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane (new)

Diane  | 129 comments Mod
Just curious about what books your kids are reading now.

message 2: by Diane (last edited Feb 12, 2014 08:06AM) (new)

My daughter and I are reading The Lions of Little Rock together for our mother-daughter read and reading The Power of Six. My son is currently reading Potterwookiee and I Funny: A Middle School Story.

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Isenhoff (michelleisenhoff) My third grade son is reading one of the Boxcar Children books, by Gertrude Chandler I think, and my sixth grade son is finishing the last Warriors book (first series) by Erin Hunter and just starting the first Fablehaven book, by Brandon Mull. I love Fablehaven. I read the series last year with my older daughter. We're also finishing a read alound--The Hobbit--and my boys are disgusted with me for reading it to them and "giving away the ending" before the final movie comes out. *Sigh* That's so backward. :)

message 4: by Diane (new)

Michelle wrote: "My third grade son is reading one of the Boxcar Children books, by Gertrude Chandler I think, and my sixth grade son is finishing the last Warriors book (first series) by Erin Hunter and just start..."

My son is also reading The Hobbit. He has been working on it for a few months. I really want to see the new movie, but I told him that we can't go until he finishes the book.

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Isenhoff (michelleisenhoff) That's usually my rule, too, but this movie trilogy snuck in early, mostly because my kids were already well versed in the LOR movies. It's my favorite series of all time. So I let them start the Hobbit trilogy before we got to the book. Eventually, we're going to read LOR together, too.

message 6: by Diane (new)

Michelle wrote: "That's usually my rule, too, but this movie trilogy snuck in early, mostly because my kids were already well versed in the LOR movies. It's my favorite series of all time. So I let them start the H..."

Oh, wow, I didn't realize there would be three movies.

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Isenhoff (michelleisenhoff) Three movies is overkill, in my opinion. They add bunch of plot elements to lengthen and try to give it the same stakes as LOR, but the story just isn't epic enough. But my kids love them.

message 8: by Diane (new)

Michelle wrote: "Three movies is overkill, in my opinion. They add bunch of plot elements to lengthen and try to give it the same stakes as LOR, but the story just isn't epic enough. But my kids love them."

I totally agree.

message 9: by Diane (new)

My son is now reading The Lord of the Rings.

message 10: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 6 comments My 9 yr old daugther is reading Storybound.

message 11: by Noemi (new)

Noemi Gamel | 3 comments My 12 year old daughter is reading The Diary of Anne Frank. She also recently read Flowers for Algernon and Otherwise Known As Sheila the Great. She usually alternates a "fun" book with a "serious" one.

message 12: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (cpassage) | 9 comments Diane wrote: "Just curious about what books your kids are reading now."

Right now,
my son just finished Wonder by RJ Palacio, and he is re-reading for the (100th?) time Swim The Fly series by Don Calame. He is in his room laughing out loud as I type this.

message 13: by Panisoara (new)

Panisoara (OPanisoara) | 2 comments The seven medals of success presents the adventures of two children who win, one by one, the medals of courage, cooperation, curiosity, patience, creativity, perseverance and empathy. In their journey they are accompanied by Memo, the dwarf of their memory; he reminds them certain events in their life and they learn the rules of each psychological characteristic.
The book contains stories for children about developing personal success skills and it is based on psychological and pedagogical studies. Every chapter of the book has a Parent's Corner, with a short description of the psychological concepts and exercises for developing each personal trait. Also, every chapter includes a poem because psycho-pedagogical studies demonstrate children learn easier by combining the linguistic and the „musical” intelligence.
We, the authors are university researchers and professors: G. Panisoara has a Ph.D. in Psychology and I.O. Panisoara has a Ph.D. in Educational Sciences.
The patience poem (fragment from the ebook)
Do you know Trici – the caterpillar?
She cried: her beauty was no thriller
But time marched on, as it went by
She turned to a fine butterfly
Here is why:
You want time to pass by quicker,
“I want to play now,” you dicker,
You want to grow up much faster.
But patience is what you must master.
If you have patience you will learn
To calm yourself and wait your turn
Step by step you will succeed
Patience is the thing you need.
http://www.amazon.com/seven-medals-su...

message 14: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 1 comments Noemi wrote: "My 12 year old daughter is reading The Diary of Anne Frank. She also recently read Flowers for Algernon and Otherwise Known As Sheila the Great. She usually alternates a "fun" book with a "seriou..."

I love that idea! Alternating between fun and serious books has been (more or less) my practice as well. I haven't held my own children to that standard but expanding their reading will be a new priority. I have always tried to make it a point to read what my kids read, so we can have fun and meaningful conversations, and my son recently asked me if we could start a family book club. I see the perfect oppertunity!

message 15: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (cpassage) | 9 comments We really liked the Mother Daughter Book Club series. Not great for boys but my girls really enjoyed them!

message 16: by Diane (new)

My son is reading Island of the Blue Dolphins, which kind of surprised me, since this is not his typical fare. He is really enjoying it, too.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I AM a tween/teen, so not sure if this is a good group for me, but I'm reading Variant. The other books I've recently finished: Breathe, The Way We Fall, The King of Dragons, Letters from Rifka

message 18: by Marcia (new)

Marcia (marciastrykowski) | 11 comments Raevyn wrote: "I AM a tween/teen, so not sure if this is a good group for me, but I'm reading Variant. The other books I've recently finished: Breathe, [book:The Way We Fall|857363..."

Great choices and nice to hear from a tween who loves to read! :)

message 19: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 23, 2015 03:44PM) (new)

Thanks. :)

I gave up on Variant--it wasn't a bad book, just not something for right now.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm reading River of Lost Bears

message 21: by Diane (new)

My son is reading The Lord of the Rings trilogy and Peter and the Starcatchers.

message 22: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 05, 2015 05:55AM) (new)

I'm reading an awful, terrible, [insert as many synonyms for bad as you can think of] book called Horse Fever. I wish I'd never discovered this series....the good news? I only own a few more after this. The bad news? I own at least two more cheesy series to take the place of this one, and I just don't give books away without finishing them. :(

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm finished with *it* and I'm now reading Lemony Snicket: The Unauthorized Autobiography, a companion novel to a very good series.

message 24: by Raven (new)

Raven | 1 comments I just finished out of my mind and now i am reading seconds away

message 25: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 1 comments My 10 year old is reading Percy Jackson's Greek Heroes.

I'm happy to join this group. My daughter is now "too old" for me to suggest books for her to read.

message 26: by Diane (new)

My son just finished The Giver.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Diane wrote: "My son just finished The Giver."

YES. I love that book. :D How old is your son?

I'm reading The Coldest Girl in Coldtown; my 12-yr-old sister is reading Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

message 28: by Marcia (new)

Marcia (marciastrykowski) | 11 comments My favorite recent read for this age group is The War That Saved My Life. The adults I've recommended it to have loved it as much as I did, but I'm curious what the tween crowd will think. Anybody else read it? Other favorites include Wonder and Fish in a Tree. Call Me Amy and its sequel Amy's Choice are great for tweens, too. :)

message 29: by Diane (new)

Raevyn wrote: "Diane wrote: "My son just finished The Giver."

YES. I love that book. :D How old is your son?

I'm reading The Coldest Girl in Coldtown; my 12-yr-old sister is reading ..."

He is 12.

message 30: by Dawn (new)

Dawn Malone (dawnmalone) | 2 comments My son is reading Mexican White Boy by Matt de la Pena. I've read two of his other books and enjoyed them very much.

message 31: by Marcia (new)

Marcia (marciastrykowski) | 11 comments Both of my kids loved The Giver. Another favorite was the two book series: Beyond the Western Sea by AVI.

message 32: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (enigma289) | 1 comments My son's all time favorite book is the Giver. He's currently reading the Magnus Chase book by Rick Riordan.

message 33: by Shari (new)

Shari | 2 comments My 14 yo reluctant reader just started Harry Potter and is loving it!! He just finished Night by Elie Wiesel for school and liked it. His other favorites were Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson series but he petered out on the next series that Riordan wrote.

message 34: by Shari (last edited Dec 29, 2015 05:12PM) (new)

Shari | 2 comments All three of my boys loved Hatchet by Gary Paulsen.

message 35: by Diane (new)

My son is going through a Manga phase. Can anyone recommend any Manga or tell which ones to avoid?

message 36: by Trish (new)

Trish (escape_fromthe_mundane) | 3 comments My daughter is just starting to read Harry Potter. I love that she doesn't stay interested in the movies but is tearing through the books.

message 37: by Jasmin (new)

Jasmin | 1 comments Diane wrote: "My son is going through a Manga phase. Can anyone recommend any Manga or tell which ones to avoid?"

I think it's always a good idea to flick through a manga for this age group because what can seem to be right from the cover or the first few pages may have graphic stuff further in. You can spot it a mile off from a quick flick through though.
I love Naruto I think it's a brilliant story and it's a very long series.
hope it helps!

message 38: by Diane (new)

Jasmin wrote: "Diane wrote: "My son is going through a Manga phase. Can anyone recommend any Manga or tell which ones to avoid?"

I think it's always a good idea to flick through a manga for this age group becaus..."

I have heard that there are some that are not appropriate for kids. He is reading the Naruto series now.

message 39: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 2 comments My 5th grade son has started reading The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane. So far so good.

message 40: by Diane (new)

Lesley wrote: "My 5th grade son has started reading The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane. So far so good."

My daughter really enjoyed that book.

message 41: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 2 comments My 12 year old daughter is reading Speak. I just finished it. It has some serious events in it and I am questioning whether she should read this stuff already, and I wonder how much to censor her reading. But it's a great book, and I figure we will have some discussions after she is done.

My 11 year old boy is reading and re-reading Harry Potter.

message 43: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay | 1 comments Here is a great link from parents.com for tween reading. My friend is teaching 6th grade this year and we have been discussing books for her students to read. Hatchet is one, but we have been discussing The Giver. Thoughts?

http://www.parents.com/fun/entertainm...

message 44: by Stefania (new)

Stefania Shaffer (stefaniashaffer) | 6 comments Giver is awesome and has always been part of the seventh grade curriculum in the district where I teach. So many themes to promote discussion. However, much of this might be considered non-pc today. For instance, there are no grandparents in families, the elderly are tucked away behind a door where they are thought to be treated to a beautiful bath....alas, they never return. Excellent read!

message 45: by Julie (new)

Julie Davis (tivo) My daughter, then I, just read the first 3 books from the Once series. We're waiting for the next 2 to come (from the U.K. - BookDepository.com I think. ). By Morris Gleitzman. Dd started with #3 Now because she had it. I started started at the beginning. Can be read out of order.

message 46: by Jonnie (new)

Jonnie Deitz | 2 comments Hi, I have a question for anybody who has read THE GIRL WITH ALL THE GIFTS. My 12 year old son read a sample and is interested in reading the book. Is it appropriate for that age group?