Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) Mockingjay discussion

The Ending of the Books

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Stephanie Coonse Was anyone else upset about how this ended? The end of the book gives us no clue as to what actually happens or how people actually felt. for example, Peeta and Katniss, yeah they were married and had kids, but did Katniss love him? And who really killed Primrose? I really hope the movie for the last book is amazing and really shows us what happens. I don't know if I am the only one, but I felt that the book had a really open ending, like you were supposed to make up the ending yourself. I HATE THAT. Anyone else agree?

Mary McDonald I agree with your post. I did not enjoy the ending either. But, after I thought about it, I decided I didn't know what I expected to happen. After all the trauma & tragedy of course there wasn't going to be a happy ending and of course there were going to be loose ends. I'm not sure the characters would have known how they were all feeling at this point other than stressed, traumatized, lost etc.

Kamiko The ending was HORRIBLE!!! I mean, what's the point of volunteering for Prim if she's gonna die anyway? I liked Gale better, too.

Susie Barnes Kamiko wrote: "The ending was HORRIBLE!!! I mean, what's the point of volunteering for Prim if she's gonna die anyway? I liked Gale better, too."

Coin was the one who engineered Prim's death, kinda like David and Uriah. Gale and Beetee invented the bombs so Katniss will always link Prim's death with Gale.

Both Katniss and Peeta are so damaged that it's all they can do just to get through the day. It was more soothing to Katniss just to be left alone. The only ones who understood this were Peeta and Haymitch.

BTW, does anyone else appreciate the irony of Coin as a name for a politician?

Kamiko It would be better to be named trillion-are instead of coin

Emily No. I love that it's open ended. I love that we get to decide who killed Prim (even though everyone disagrees with me, both in thinking that we get to decide and in thinking that Coin did it. I think I'm the only one who thinks it was Snow, but I digress.)

But yes, Katniss loved him. He asks her if she loves him, real or not real, and she says real. (And at that point I always tear up.)

Katie Stephanie wrote: "Was anyone else upset about how this ended? The end of the book gives us no clue as to what actually happens or how people actually felt. for example, Peeta and Katniss, yeah they were married and ..."

I liked the ending. I love how Peeta went back to loving Katniss the way he always did. I love how she has grown to love him. I feel like this love is stronger than anything she could have felt with Gale. With Gale we will always have that what if and with Peeta we don't. I imagine beyond the book of Peeta baking and Katniss hunting and just living everyday they have together with their family. I think most of all they are just grateful that the Hunger Games are over and they can live in peace. I do wonder if Katniss's mother ever meets her grandchildren.

Craig Davison I also loved the ending and the entire series. It's a story that stays with you. The reunion between Prim's cat and Katniss killed me: joy about the reunion, profound sadness for their shared grief, relief that Kat is able to finally express the pain. Powerful scene!

Owieeeczka In my opinion, the ending was really good. But there is still one thing that I'm thinking about. What is Gale doing?! Is he still in touch with Katniss? Is he have a girlfriend?

Kristine Owieeeczka wrote: "In my opinion, the ending was really good. But there is still one thing that I'm thinking about. What is Gale doing?! Is he still in touch with Katniss? Is he have a girlfriend?"

It doesn't say whether Gale and Katniss ever make contact again. What we know is that Gale has a fancy job in District 2 and is on TV occasionally. Katniss speculates that he is kissing other lips.

Owieeeczka Kristine wrote: "Owieeeczka wrote: "In my opinion, the ending was really good. But there is still one thing that I'm thinking about. What is Gale doing?! Is he still in touch with Katniss? Is he have a girlfriend?"..."

Yees, and it is so sad, that we know only a few informations :(

Owieeeczka Kristine wrote: "Owieeeczka wrote: "In my opinion, the ending was really good. But there is still one thing that I'm thinking about. What is Gale doing?! Is he still in touch with Katniss? Is he have a girlfriend?"..."

Yees, and it is so sad, that we know only a few informations :(

message 13: by Jaelle (last edited Mar 24, 2014 02:23PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jaelle We readers sometimes want an idealized version of reality, but this book just isn't going to do that. This is probably the most "real" interpretation of violence I have ever read. War has an effect on people and we rarely see that in action movies. My dad's best friend was a POW in World War 2. He was shot down and captured by the Germans. They saved his life and he has a lot of gratitude for his enemy. How's that for confusing. For that reason, he HATED war and it had a deep, deep, effect on him.

It's the same for Katniss and Peeta. People keep expecting so much maturity from Katniss, but when the story started, she was a 16-year-old girl living in a world of oppression. She had to fight to survive and was constantly worried about her family. She'd never had a boyfriend before and was determined not to get married so that her own kids would never be sent to The Hunger Games. We all know how confusing relationships are at any age and her first kiss was on television during a battle to the death! That's not normal. Of course she's going to be conflicted throughout the whole thing. Considering the emotional stress, the manipulation and betrayal by Coin, losing Prim and so many loved ones, the disappointment with Gale's changing character, and then Peeta's highjacking, you can understand why Katniss needed time to heal from her very deep and painful emotions before she could let herself be happy again with Peeta. If you think about it, they'd never actually been "happy" together. They were thrown together by horrible circumstances. Still, there's no doubt that she loved him all along, it was just so mixed up with all of the other emotions. She loved him in The Hunger Games when she kissed him in the cave and felt "that thing". She loved him in Catching Fire when he helped her create the herb book, during their times on the train, and with the kiss on the beach. Love was her last feeling about Peeta, and it's why in Mockingjay, the whole first part of the book is about her obsession with saving him. When he comes back, she has trouble fighting for him and having compassion for him because she's so full of guilt over her experiences that she wonders if his criticisms are true…and it hurts. But her love for him does come back. She keeps trying to fight it, to protect herself more than anything, but it pops into her actions before she even realizes it, like when she tells him about his old self before diving into her tent, or when she strokes his hair and tells him "That's what we do, we take care of each other". Those moments come from her love for him. Under the circumstances, I feel the ending was appropriate. It makes sense to me, considering all they'd been through. They needed time to heal emotionally, but it was inevitable that they would find each other again and help each other through the grief, because that's what they always did.

We have to understand that Suzanne Collins had a purpose in mind with this book. It was never just to entertain, but to make us question our motives, politics, and war itself. She had to make sure the ending reflected the fact that war has devastating effects on people, but that once it's over, happiness can return even though you will never be the same. In this way, I feel like it was the most realistic ending possible.

Jenner I loved the ending. It was perfect.

Kristine Jaelle wrote: "We readers sometimes want an idealized version of reality, but this book just isn't going to do that. This is probably the most "real" interpretation of violence I have ever read. War has an effect..."

+1