Sumner C Period discussion

PASSION: The Bright Light of Glory
This topic is about PASSION
Passion blog #1: Boasting only in the Cross

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Courtneybaker | 19 comments “Therefore every breath we take, every time our heart beats, every day that the sun rises, every moment we see with our eyes or hear with our ears or speak with our mouths or walk with our legs is, for now, a free and underserved gift to sinners who deserve only judgment” (Giglio 21).

Louie Gilgio, the creator and organizer of the conference called Passion, has collected famous talks by fellow pastors in order to help inspire this young generation to seek for God’s renown in their lives through the message of Passion. In this particular chapter of the book, Louie Giglio uses a talk given by John Piper talking about learning to boast only in the Cross of Jesus Christ. Within Piper’s talk, one of his topics is about Christ’s power on the Cross buying everything, the good things and the bad things turned for good, and saving us when we did not deserve it.

I really like this quote because in daily life, we as a race and myself included tend to take all the “privileges” from God and take them so for granted. We tend to think that we deserve these privileges because they are the things that set us apart from all other living things like being able to walk on legs and speak with our mouths. Piper is arguing that we should learn to see God in every instance of our lives, including the little things like rejoicing every time our heart beats or every day when the sun rises. In addition, I like that Piper emphasizes “for now” because as he explains later in the chapter, these gifts are not gifts if a person does not choose to see God in every one of the gifts.

Courtneybaker | 19 comments “In other words, I believe, or at least I want to believe. But I’m looking at this valley of death and for the life of me can’t see a way in my wildest imagination that anything could ever live here. But You’re God, and I’m not” (38).

Louie Giglio, in his own chapter called “Can These Bones Live?”, studies the story of Ezekiel and God in the valley of bones in Ezekiel 37:1-3 and connects it to Christians and their times of doubt in God’s goodness. He then connects Ezekiel’s story to a similar moment of doubt in Mark 9:14-24, talking about a hopeless father who has a child that is possessed by evil and doubts in Jesus’ ability to heal his child. Giglio takes both these passages and connects to Christians because in our moments of darkness and doubt, we tend to doubt God’s goodness and promises.

This is probably my favorite quote so far from this book because it relates so personally to me recently in my own life. Lately, there have been very hard and stressful times where I have felt utterly and completely alone in the valley, with no way to get out. This topic has really struck home with me and I think many people can relate to this because we all have had breaking points where we feel we are alone. Also, I like the way that Louie Giglio connects this feeling of doubt through both Ezekiel 37 and Mark 9 because in both instances, Ezekiel and the father doubt Jesus’ ability to heal and bring people in death back to life.