Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group discussion

ABOUT BOOKS AND READING > "The Pimienta Pancakes" - short story by O. Henry - Summarize it for me please.

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments I NEED HELP UNDERSTANDING THIS SHORT STORY!

If anyone can give me a short summary of the following short story, I would appreciate it:

The Pimienta Pancakes by O. Henry

I'm trying to listen to an audio version and can't make any headway. Reading it would be even harder for me. I tried and I can't get through it.

If you can figure out what the point and plot of this story is, I would appreciate it.

You can read the story online here:
http://classiclit.about.com/library/b...

NOTE: The story uses the "narrator-within-a-narrator format". That's confusing enough but the jargon in the story adds even more to the confusion.

"Pimienta" is the name of a South Western town.

As usual with stories by O.Henry, there's supposed to be a surprise ending. I'd be surprised if I could GET to the ending! LOL

message 2: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments PS-Believe it or not, I cannot find a decent summary online.

message 3: by Nina (new)

Nina | 6069 comments Joy, I also got a little confused about the narrator until i went back and read the beginning and then realized toward the end it was the first narrator talking to the storyteller(most of the marration done by him about the pancake episode.) I guess the surprise ending was that after all the pancake talk by Jud(the storyteller)he never ate pancakes. It wasn't as good as some of his other stories.

message 4: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Thanks, Nina. I appreciate your reply.

I never liked stories with too much jargon or accented speech. It's too hard to scan the text or too annoying to listen to the dialect, especially hill-billy dialect.

Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Pimienta Pancakes (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

O. Henry (other topics)