Gone with the Wind Gone with the Wind discussion

What qualities do you have in common with Scarlett?

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Feb 13, 2014 07:40PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sandy “She wasn’t going to sit down and patiently wait for a miracle to help her.”
“But to her mind there were few, if any, qualities that out-weighted gumption.”

I don't believe in miracles and I have some gumption.

But unfortunately, I'm not pretty, and I'm not as brave and aggressive as Scarlett was. Maybe that's why I couldn't be as successful as Scarlett.

How about you? :)

Lynnie Saint-James Scarlett has grit - I like that in a female character. Margaret Mitchell, thank you for creating her.

Mariana Sometimes I can be conceited, and think of myself above everyone else. I imagine a relationship with my dream guy that will most likely never happen. I genuinely, but secretly, dislike most people. My goodness!! I sound like a terrible person :////

Sandy Mariana wrote: "Sometimes I can be conceited, and think of myself above everyone else. I imagine a relationship with my dream guy that will most likely never happen. I genuinely, but secretly, dislike most people...."

lol, you are like Scarlett!

Veronica i love Scarlett. she is strong,business smart,hard working and earnest. i have nothing in common but she inspires me to acquire those good qualities.

Paganalexandria Like Scarlett, I can be extremely manipulative. It's second nature for me, and half the time I'm unaware of my machinations until half way involved. Luckily, I don't think I'm as selfish as Scarlett.

message 7: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim Swike I am like Scarlett because I also believe in not giving up, and I also believe "Tomorrow is another day".

Holly I don't have much in common with Scarlett, but we are similar in these three ways: resourcefulness, versatility and realism.

Kimberly survivor

Alexandra Alexyna I think everyone hase something in common with scarlet . She was beautiful ( aldoght i think she hade more sex appeal and knowing how to attract ), a surviver , realist , with a good sence for buisniss and loving of Tarra and her place of berth . I think one why or a nother we all love the place where we are born

Cynthia Greenlee I don't give up on things that I feel are important. Sometimes I can be stubborn.

message 12: by Madison (new) - added it

Madison Nice comment very inspiring

Valorie I can't stand Scarlett but I did just think of One good thing about her. Instead of worrying about what she couldn't fix she thought about what she could. That's cool.

Of course, the way she went about "fixing" things is not my cup of tea. Luckily for me I have very little in common with her except maybe her physical strength and her determination.

I'm not at all convinced that her determination was at best misguided. Was she determined to do anything but steal someone else's husband and get lots of money? Not at all admirable in my eyes.

Natalia When I read the book, I never thought Scarlett out the cold, cruel woman who everyone else said she was, as a reader, I think I like Melanie, because I think Scarleth is a great woman, maybe a little cold, but a woman quite ahead of her time, she was afraid, but she managed to get her family back to famine and social position. Maybe not the best way, but tell me, who is not married by necessity or accompaniment?, Many women and men.

I wished that Margaret Mitchell had given a little more recognition to the achievements of Scarlett, but instead, all I saw was a bunch of hypocrites and jealous of what she achieved and that is something that even now happens women. Women compete with each other. So I think Scarlett has many qualities, not typical of the time, such as having Melanie. But she's a smart, clever and clumsy woman, but very strong.

Jacqueline Coote I have a strong determination to achieve the goals I have laid out for myself. Even in my 60's, I have laid the path ahead of me to follow my dreams, whether it be being successful in my business or writing.

message 16: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim Swike I always believe that when I am having a bad day of the promise "that tomorrow is a another day".

Natalia I admit I'm selfish and cold as Scarlett. But I'm not a bad person.

Fatima Grace Truth be told, I see Scarlett as my spirit animal (which I suppose isn't exactly a good thing...). Much like Miss Scarlett O' Hara herself, I have a superiority complex and I see myself as better than most, and despite not being "beautiful" we both possess quite a bit of charm that attract boys easily. We're also not greatly fond of children but still care for them still. We both crave attention, are self-preseved and vain, stubborn, but we can be clever and cunning and will go to great extents for our own betterments.

However, I doubt I would ever do half the things she did throughout her life, and I greatly value my friends unlike she did, but we do share numerous qualities, and it's through these qualities that I loved Scarlett, and it's her character that made me love the novel because it was so easy to understand her (even if some of the things she did were harsh and cruel).

Renee E Well . . . I'm the one everyone comes to to fix their screw-ups and misfortunes.

And sometimes I know they're not going to like the way I fix things, but when you dump it in my lap you don't get to give me orders.

Tamara I have Scarlett's spoiled attitude. I got to have what I want. Ha!

Tiggs Sadly, I've always been a bit judgmental towards other women, and suspicious of them. If I see freckles, wrinkles, or someone porking out, I automatically notice and I can't help but lose some respect for them, and I feel they're secretly the same way only they don't have the gumption to admit it. I'm neurotic as hell. I'd probably kill you, not just slap you, if you floated around the house humming like a Disney princess while the city was burning down and there was someone in the house going into labor.

Jacqueline Coote When I want to get a job done, there is no stopping me. I wouldn't go about having a dress made of drapes for me to prove a point, but you get the drift. Determination is my middle name.

Sandy Jacqueline wrote: "When I want to get a job done, there is no stopping me. I wouldn't go about having a dress made of drapes for me to prove a point, but you get the drift. Determination is my middle name."

Cool, good on you.

Celest I'm stubborn, can be a little cold towards those that I either have little respect for or just see as a means to an end. I put up with children when I have to. I can't attract worth a darn though and have no business smarts. So it's just a little bit.

Jacqueline Coote Celest wrote: "I'm stubborn, can be a little cold towards those that I either have little respect for or just see as a means to an end. I put up with children when I have to. I can't attract worth a darn though a..."

Thanks for sharing

Jacqueline Coote Iolanda wrote: "I used to hate her with a passion but have learned to understand why she did the things she did at times, she's entertaining.

I'm quite strong-willed like her and would do anything for those we ca..."

I think you have to be in this day and age.You have to be strong minded and determined if you want to get somewhere. My age didn't stop me. Will be 71 in November and I am far from being stopped.

Thanks for sharing.

Jacqueline Coote Tiggs wrote: "Sadly, I've always been a bit judgmental towards other women, and suspicious of them. If I see freckles, wrinkles, or someone porking out, I automatically notice and I can't help but lose some resp..."

Tell it like it is....Don't let me stop you. LOL!
Thanks for sharing your views.

Jacqueline Coote Iolanda wrote: "I used to hate her with a passion but have learned to understand why she did the things she did at times, she's entertaining.

I'm quite strong-willed like her and would do anything for those we ca..."

Yes, she was definitely a little snip, but she got her message across. Didn't she?

Thanks for sharing.

Jacqueline Coote Jim wrote: "I always believe that when I am having a bad day of the promise "that tomorrow is a another day"."

You bet...tomorrow is another day, another challenge.

Thanks for sharing

Jacqueline Coote Natalia wrote: "When I read the book, I never thought Scarlett out the cold, cruel woman who everyone else said she was, as a reader, I think I like Melanie, because I think Scarleth is a great woman, maybe a litt..."

Indeed she was strong, yet when she realized how sympathetic and loving Melanie was, it gave her a chance to look at her own spoiled rotten self and appreciate the woman that Melanie was. Frail and weak, yet strong in heart and compassion.

Thanks for sharing.

message 31: by Ivy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ivy Like all humans, I can be attracted to what isn't exactly good for me, and as I see Scarlett in the first chapters, she is undoubtedly searching for those curious adventures and experiences that really make her more knowledgeable, and critical of the world, and that really shows in the following pages. Though I consider myself a Melanie of the world (I am not THAT angelic nor will I ever be), I can really relate to Scarlett's passion for what she yearns for, even though her morals might be messed up. She, like Vivien Leigh, longed for things on the other side of the fence, and set out determined to achieve those things. Her survival and leading her family through the aftermath of the Civil war is a testimony to the courage that she possessed, and the leadership qualities that really shone through, which is a quality that I would like to possess.

Jacqueline Coote Yes, she was a woman of her time. A symbol of the strength that so few women possess or do possess but never express. She had the ability to keep her family together during the hardships of war, despite her upbringing.

Angee Sluder Like Scarlett, I'm not very good at understanding a person's motives.

Jacqueline Coote I think that takes time and a good sense of reading people. However, how many of us think we know someone for years and never really knew them at all?

Angee Sluder Jacqueline wrote: "I think that takes time and a good sense of reading people. However, how many of us think we know someone for years and never really knew them at all?"

I think that a part of the reason a person might never really fully know someone is due to people concealing motives and emotions. So often, people are afraid to live out loud. They're afraid of being judged. They're afraid that if they bare their hearts to the world, no one will care. Sometimes people are afraid that if someone really knew them, that the people they love wouldn't understand them and stop returning their love. So they hide parts of themselves. Rhett Butler is a good example. He was afraid to let Scarlett know that he really loved her because he was afraid that she would have tried to use that love to rule him. But, who knows? Maybe if Rhett would have just said, "Look, I'm in love with you. But I'm only going to take a certain amount of nonsense from you," their relationship might not have ended.

Jacqueline Coote Good comment. Thanks for that.....Have you read one of my books. I write women's fiction, encouraging women to not be afraid to do the things they have always wanted to do when younger, but are now afraid to do so. So many women, whether single, widow or divorced, are faced with many fears to make a change for themselves. They are skeptical in making decisions, moves or just turning their life around and make a fresh new start. You might like the first book I wrote Only 60+ You Go Girl. A lighthearted approach to look at yourself and learn to make different decisions that can change your life. My other books are stories of such women and what they do to make those changes.
Don't let the title fool you....it's meant for all ages!

Angee Sluder Oh cool! I didn't know that you're an author! I'll definitely look into it!