The Wide Web of Friends in YA Books discussion

Reading Questions > How Did You Get Into Reading?

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chantae (new)

Chantae B. | 288 comments for me I don't really remember but it was probably I read I book really liked and kept on

message 2: by Gemma (new)

Gemma | 94 comments well i started reading in middle school and i always loved reading because it was like i faded out if the real world and faded into the book. It also gave me a great escape from my problems.

message 3: by Erica (new)

Erica (ericaevernight) | 912 comments Percy Jackson

message 4: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea B | 348 comments I know! It's such a hard question, because I can't remember a time when I didn't enjoy reading! My parents always read to me when I was younger, which I will always be grateful for! Once my parents started reading to me, I knew that that was something I wanted to do myself!

#notmyrealname#iluvjesus | 78 comments When I was in 3gr I didn't have enough points in reading class so I decided to read a chapter book (the first one ever )and I fell in love and havnt stopped since

message 6: by Cheyenne, The Musical One (new)

Cheyenne | 1425 comments Mod
So I hated reading until 5th grade. I was always slow behind reading. I didn't actually learn how to do it until 2nd grade. Anyways now I read at a College level in 9th grade. Besides that I picked up a copy of Into the Wild by Erin Hunter and it took me two weeks to finish. That's along time compare to now.

message 7: by Rita (new)

Rita (anarittafp) I love reading since almost forever because I started reading really early and I loved to read everything in the house, from magazines to cookbooks to actual children's books. Ah, and before I learned how to read I used to open my sister's books and look at the pictures to tell the story, it was pretty cute ^^

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (reads4fun730) | 718 comments Probably 3rd grade (1993…) God I'm old Lol. We read the my Teacher Is An Alien series and my eight year old self never stopped after that.

Shadowhunter's Library (blazecarstairs) | 132 comments I didn't really care about reading til I read Hunger Games which was a couple years ago, but I didn't get super obsessed with reading until City of Bones.

message 10: by Lissette (new)

Lissette (liss4ever) I loved the Goosebumps book series and junie B Jones series in elementary school.

message 11: by Josephine (new)

Josephine | 85 comments I didn't get into reading until reading the Twilight series starting when I was 11 or 12.

message 12: by Dalia (new)

Dalia | 71 comments Thank THG because it's only reason why I became obsessed with reading although I used to hate it and thought it was boring :p

message 13: by Yu Fan (new)

Yu Fan (yufannx) | 240 comments the mortal instruments c:

message 14: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 114 comments When i was little my mom used to read me fairy tales. the stories were fascinating for a little kid. As i got older i wanted to hear new stories from new ppl so my mom got me books. Initially i read because the stories were fascinating but now it is for escapism. Reading to me is what ice cream is to most ppl when they are sad. that world is everything i want that is not real and it is as real when i want it to be.

message 15: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (ifangirlaboutbooks) | 216 comments I seriously have such a cute story. So as a child I was always afraid to leave my parents because I was afraid something would happen to them while I was gone (I don't know why I guess I was just super paranoid) so I would always hate going over to a friends house or whatever. So when I started middle school I was so nervous about stepping out of my bubble and riding the bus with a bunch of high schoolers. So I would panic and cry on the way to school and everything. Then my father suggested that I read on the bus to distract me. So, I bought a ton of Judy Blume books and I instantly fell in love. I also think that this made me immune to reading in the car. It's seriously a gift I can't believe I can read in the car. Anyways, I owe my father for introducing me to my favorite thing to do. (:

message 16: by Neha (new)

Neha (shearglacier) | 8 comments I actually hated reading till like after 5th grade during the summer. I think it was The Hunger Games that I read that really brought me up to reading.

†Reviews of a FearStreetZombie† (fearstreetzombie) I think it just runs in my family. I grew up around it. My mama read all the time. So did my sister. and I just picked up on it I guess

message 18: by Tommy (new)

Tommy Hancock (tommyhancock) | 354 comments My grandpa used to collect comics. He read them to me sometimes, most notably, the X-Men comics. One day I asked him to read one to me and he didn't feel like it, so I just kept pestering him. So he made me a deal "If you can read it yourself, you can keep it".

So long story short, I went to my mom and she helped me learn to read within a couple of weeks and I went back to claim my prize.
I was 3, almost 4 years old at the time.

message 19: by Zainab (new)

Zainab Aslam (thehiddenassassin) | 685 comments Awww, i wish i had a cool story, but i dont, so, ya,
I have a habit of having random interests at random times, for eg, for a few months ill be obsessed with making things, then painting things, then gaming, then baking things, etc
So after a while i stumbled upon reading things, and i haven't been obsessed with anything else ever since :3

message 20: by Tommy (new)

Tommy Hancock (tommyhancock) | 354 comments Zainab wrote: "Awww, i wish i had a cool story, but i dont, so, ya,
I have a habit of having random interests at random times, for eg, for a few months ill be obsessed with making things, then painting things, th..."

Still cool. Leaves you with a hands on appreciation of multiple things. I was that way with music and writing and just recently got into making art(which I'm awful at haha).

message 21: by Zainab (new)

Zainab Aslam (thehiddenassassin) | 685 comments Lol but being awful at something is the best part!! i love getting better at things, it shows just how possible everything is xD

message 22: by Tommy (new)

Tommy Hancock (tommyhancock) | 354 comments Zainab wrote: "Lol but being awful at something is the best part!! i love getting better at things, it shows just how possible everything is xD"

I can't even explain how deeply I agree with you. I try not to hero-worship people for their talents, but instead think about how much work goes into those talents. It kind of makes me respect talents more haha.

message 23: by Zainab (new)

Zainab Aslam (thehiddenassassin) | 685 comments Oh my god its like we are sharing a brain :D
Yep i totally agree with you, thats why i don't necessarily HATE any singers or actors, because even if they suck, they TRIED, and, if compared to their previous selves, also improved a lot too. :)

message 24: by Tommy (new)

Tommy Hancock (tommyhancock) | 354 comments Zainab wrote: "Oh my god its like we are sharing a brain :D
Yep i totally agree with you, thats why i don't necessarily HATE any singers or actors, because even if they suck, they TRIED, and, if compared to their..."

And on top of that, it could suck to me, but could be really amazing to someone else. So even if I don't like what they do, I'm glad they do it and that it can find the right people. I think back on music that I loved at certain points and, like, eh, not the best. But the songs found me at the right time and just meant something so much deeper than good/bad/talent/etc.

Art is good, even if it's bad(the only exceptions I could think of are works that were born from hate or prejudice).

message 25: by Zainab (new)

Zainab Aslam (thehiddenassassin) | 685 comments Yeah, art IS a beautiful thing, but, oddly, I can connect better to paintings and drawings than i can to music, :3
I don't understand why, but i just see so much more in drawings than i can hear in music xD probably because i draw them myself, but other times I'm not the artist

message 26: by Tommy (new)

Tommy Hancock (tommyhancock) | 354 comments It's music and stories for me. I can appreciate drawings/paintings but don't connect to them as well.

Possibly because I've written stories and music for over half of my life haha.

message 27: by Celine (new)

Celine I enjoyed having the ability to enter someone else's world and understanding someone else's thoughts. It is one of the best ways I connect with other minds, I love learning from others and spending my time reading other people's words. Words have always left a blissful mark upon my soul, the ability people have to manipulate them to their own life experience is amazing.

message 28: by Zainab (new)

Zainab Aslam (thehiddenassassin) | 685 comments @Celine that was so amazing :,)

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (godisgoodallthetime-) | 1590 comments When I watched City of Bones! That started this love of reading!!

message 30: by Neha (new)

Neha (shearglacier) | 8 comments I read the City of Bones book because all my sisters read it. Then, I got hooked and read the whole series.

message 31: by Rachel , The Attentive One (new)

Rachel  (APCB Reviews) (gr8rach) | 8842 comments Mod
Kitty wrote: "When I watched City of Bones! That started this love of reading!!"

really??

message 32: by Rachel , The Attentive One (new)

Rachel  (APCB Reviews) (gr8rach) | 8842 comments Mod
Neha wrote: "I read the City of Bones book because all my sisters read it. Then, I got hooked and read the whole series."

I read CoB too! That started my love of reading :)

message 33: by jelly frogs (new)

jelly frogs (quiteliterary) | 107 comments I wasn't much of an avid reader but read here and there. It was around after I read the Harry Potter series that I felt the need to read more, and now, I am addicted.

message 34: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Tressen | 2 comments From my mother. We were very poor growing up and the library was free. So we'd go to the library all the time and she would read to myself and my siblings every day. We'd go on all these "adventures" in books and she told us, "You can go anywhere in a book. You can be anyone." Every book was a trip we could take or new people we could meet and it was all free or simply the cost of a book. She made us all avid readers because of it.

message 35: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (godisgoodallthetime-) | 1590 comments Miss Perfection (Rachel) wrote: "Kitty wrote: "When I watched City of Bones! That started this love of reading!!"

really??"

Yeah!! I watched the movie and loved it so much. I figured the books would be just as good so I bought the first book and read it in 2 days ( which was really good for me). Then I bought the rest after finishing the first book. So I'm kinda behind on all the ya books like hunger games, vampire academy,etc.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

I've been able to read since I was about two (I don't remember this, my family talks about it), and I've always loved reading, but the first series I got hooked on was Warriors--when I was in third grade.

message 37: by CourtLovesBooks (new)

CourtLovesBooks I wasn't very good at reading when I was a kid so my best friend read the first harry potter to me and I really liked it so I started reading the rest.

message 38: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (godisgoodallthetime-) | 1590 comments Courtney Lives On wrote: "I wasn't very good at reading when I was a kid so my best friend read the first harry potter to me and I really liked it so I started reading the rest."
Aww, that's sweet:)

message 39: by CourtLovesBooks (new)

CourtLovesBooks Kitty wrote: "Courtney Lives On wrote: "I wasn't very good at reading when I was a kid so my best friend read the first harry potter to me and I really liked it so I started reading the rest."
Aww, that's sweet:)"

Thanks! For me Harry Potter started it all!

message 40: by Tommy (new)

Tommy Hancock (tommyhancock) | 354 comments Courtney Lives On wrote: "I wasn't very good at reading when I was a kid so my best friend read the first harry potter to me and I really liked it so I started reading the rest."

What a cool friend. That's seriously so awesome.

message 41: by CourtLovesBooks (new)

CourtLovesBooks Yeah she is! Especially since my mom had banned harry potter and she had to read it in secret.

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

My mum was an avid reader so I guess it was always encouraged in my house. I didn't get into reading until I took my brothers Darren Shan books and couldn't put them down, I was maybe seven at the time, i moved onto Harry Potter and never looked back.

message 43: by Juliet (last edited Jul 23, 2014 09:16AM) (new)

Juliet | 345 comments I guess you could say Divergent in a way was my "Harry Potter." I wasn't even born yet when the first three came out so I don't have that connection like some other people have with HP. Divergent is what got me into reading (THG too but Divergent was like my turning point) Now I am a proud reader ^-^

message 44: by Tayla (new)

Tayla Robichaud (trobes7x) if school didnt have summer reading I dont think i ever would have started liking books