What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. fantasy book! main character is a boy, who is forced to attend some sort of school or something underground in caves. I'm not entirely sure how he got there, and I think the whole book takes place underground

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 1 comments I'm looking for a fantasy book I read in middle school, so maybe over 4 years ago. I am not especially clear on the details, but here goes:
The main character is a boy, who is forced to attend some sort of school or something underground in caves. I'm not entirely sure how he got there, and I think the whole book takes place underground. However, I distinctly remember him memorizing turns in the complex maze of hallways and rooms, and I remember him competing with other students to do better in classes. I think they were learning magic. There were complex spell type things in some fantasy language he had to learn and memorize. Also, I remember him struggling to conjure food in some specific room.
Sorry my description is so vague; I can't remember much else. This has been bugging me for years. Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

message 2: by Abby (new)

Abby | 214 comments Do you think it could be Skin Hunger? Part of the book is about students learning magic; I remember it being a fairly dark world, perhaps even underground. I also remember something about conjuring food. Hope you find it!

Also, it was published in 2007, if that helps. I don't know if that's long enough ago to have been bugging you for years. :)

message 3: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollylovesbooks) | 761 comments Could it be The Mysterious Benedict Society? There is definitely a special school and mazes in it. I don't remember much (if any) magic in it though.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39310 comments Mod
Lauren, are you still looking for this? Was it anything mentioned?

message 5: by Elpbit (new)

Elpbit | 2 comments i am looking for this exact same book Right now! More details are that I know the boy definitely said he had to memorize the pattern of the hallways (ie. left left right right right left right and on) in order to get from his room to the practice rooms. Not sure if the caves are underground or just in a mountain, but it was definitely dark all the time (although the boy might have been liberated to light in the end by having his status improved after training ). there were only boys in this fantasy land and they were training to be sorcerers or something by constantly muttering incantations and pushing ahead of classmates who would randomly disappear if they couldnt handle the strain. The boys only saw each other in oractice rooms and maybe by passing through the hallways, it was all very isolated. I read this before 2011 and it's not the two other books mentioned above. Please help!

message 6: by Kris (last edited May 13, 2015 12:09PM) (new)

Kris | 35179 comments Mod
Skin Hunger or Sacred Scars by Kathleen Duey somewhat match your description.

Edit: I just noticed that Abby suggested "Skin Hunger" above.

message 7: by Elpbit (new)

Elpbit | 2 comments That's the one. Thanks!

message 8: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35179 comments Mod
Thanks for the update.

Lauren, is your book any of the ones mentioned so far?

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39310 comments Mod
Kris wrote: "Thanks for the update.

Lauren, is your book any of the ones mentioned so far?"

No response. Moving to Abandoned.