Clean Reads discussion

Hide in Time
This topic is about Hide in Time
News From/For Our Clean Authors > Hide in Time - 'part time travel, part romance, part mystery' 99c/99p until Tuesday 29th April

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 197 comments I've recently joined this group, so I thought you might like to know something about what I write.

Hide in Time is set in 1814 - Regency England, and 2009. I thought it might be helpful to add a few comments from reviewers on Goodreads. Here's an excerpt from a 5* review:

"What a delightful story... Oh, this is such a pleasure to read, right up to the thrilling end, through tense moments and laughter."

If you take a look and decide to buy it, I hope you really enjoy it.

message 2: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 197 comments Hide in Time by Anna Faversham
Laura has a life-changing regret which she doesn't think she can do anything about - it was two hundred years ago. Then Matt and Xandra come into her life.

Here's another comment from a Goodreads review:

"I wanted to know what happened next - always a good sign."

If you enjoy time travel romances and something a little different, you might like to take a trip back to England in 1814 and cheer Laura on as she tries to put things right.

message 3: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 197 comments I had to read this comment several times - it was so complimentary.

"I was on holidays with over 80 books loaded onto my kindle to choose from, but once I started reading this, I knew I had to get it to finish it."

Any author will tell you that a lot of work goes into producing a book, so it's really nice if a reader takes the time to tell you he or she enjoyed it.

If you like a book that is "refreshingly different" I hope you will take a look at Hide in Time

message 4: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 197 comments After storming off from the man she loves, Laura takes a boat to America in 1814. Too late she realizes she has misjudged him. Shipwrecked, she is washed ashore in 2009. Nearly two hundred years away from him.

Hide in Time tells the story of how she sets out to put things right and bring happiness to the man she still loves and cannot forget.

I hope you will take a look at the book and then, if you read it, I hope you will enjoy it very much.

message 5: by Anna (new) - added it

Comment from a Goodreads’ review: “Very well written and engaging story. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who loves regency novels.”

Misjudging the man she loves, Laura leaves England for America in 1814 but is shipwrecked and washed ashore in 2009. Too late, she learns the truth about him.

Events confirm Laura's suspicion that the destiny of a woman she meets is linked with her own and she sees a way to restore happiness to the man she still loves and cannot forget. She risks her life and chance of fulfilment to return to Regency times.

A time travel mystery and romance all rolled into one exciting book.

message 6: by Dawn (new) - added it

Dawn (curlykew28) | 8 comments I am finding it hard to find a copy of this book anywhere. I do so want to read it!!

message 7: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 197 comments Hello Dawn and thank you for telling me.

Hide in Time is available from Amazon as an ebook. If you click on the link Hide in Timeit should take you to the Goodreads page for the book and just to the right and down a bit, there is a green bar saying 'Get a copy'. Amazon should be listed there and it should take you straight to the Amazon page. I'm sure you already know this but you are probably looking for a paperback or hard copy.

I am hoping that you have a Kindle of some sort but, if not, the Amazon page tells you that you can download a reader so that you can read it on your pc or laptop or whatever!

Clever lot, Amazon.

I used to prefer hard copy books, but I haven't got the space to store any more at home! So a Kindle turned out to be a good idea for my own reading.

I hope you can find Hide in Time and I hope you really, really enjoy it after all this searching.

message 8: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 197 comments Hide in Time - Time Travel Romance discounted (KCD) $0.99/£0.99

If you like Regency history, time travel, highwaymen and shipwrecks, all mixed together with a little humour, misunderstandings and romance you can feel, you might like to know that
Hide in Time by Anna Faversham
is discounted until 24th March.

message 9: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 197 comments There's still a few days left on the Kindle Countdown Deal starting at 99c.

This is an excerpt from Hide in Time:

Laura, born in the 18th century but now stuck in the 21st century, is remembering the time she first saw Matt, the man who has been helping her settle into modern day living.

"He’d looked at her – wet and sandy. She’d remember that look all her life, no matter how long she lived. He had eyes that listened; deep brown eyes which had encouraged her to ask, ‘Sir, would you kindly assist me. I was aboard the SS Kismet when it collided with a sandbank.” She’d hesitated before adding the stark consequence, “and sank.”

He had taken a step forwards and lifted her trunk. The tar had ruined his T-shirt but he never mentioned it. He’d asked where she was trying to go and she’d replied, “America.” He hadn’t laughed, though the little group of people gathered about were smirking. One of them, unasked, gave Matt directions to the hospital.

What would she have done without Matt? Another tear trickled down her face.

“Nearly there, Laura. Have you a plan?” asked Matt.
Plan? It consisted, so far, of arriving with Matt.

The past had intruded and overwhelmed her thoughts yet again."

This extract is taken from an early chapter before she returns to Regency times again.

message 10: by Dawn (new) - added it

Dawn (curlykew28) | 8 comments Anna wrote: "Hello Dawn and thank you for telling me.

Hide in Time is available from Amazon as an ebook. If you click on the link Hide in Timeit should take you to the Goodreads page for the bo..."

Thanks for the info. I didn't know I could get it on my PC. I have a nook, not a kindle.Again thanks. this book looks like one I would like.
Dawn

message 11: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 197 comments You're welcome, Dawn. It was ages before I learned about the free downloadable reader for a pc, laptop, or other e stuff!

One day I will probably come out of the Amazon system and upload HiT to Nooks and so on, but there's just too little time to do everything in life!

After all your effort, I really hope you find HiT enjoyable. I'm told it's different from other books, so be prepared! I didn't want to write a book that follows the usual set plot.

message 12: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 197 comments This is another extract from the time travel romance

Xandra, in the twenty-first century, is needing a place to hide from a gang of criminals, and has put her trust in Laura. She knows Laura has a plan, but she is not entirely sure what it is. She has just found out:

“Whoa, there,” barked the man with the whip which had been flailing perilously close to the scarlet-liveried man standing guard at the back. “Whoo, whoo.” He brought the horses to a halt and bellowed, “Get out of the way, woman. Are you weak in the mind!”
“Great flumpleducks, girl; what are you doing here?” A woman, wearing a long, grey skirt, brown shawl tied around her shoulders and a white mobcap, stepped down from the coach onto the track.
Instinctively, Xandra put her hand to her head and felt her own cap with the lacy scarf still tied around it. If she could have answered, she would have, but she wasn’t at all sure what she was doing here.
The horses restlessly pawed the ground and tossed their heads. “Get her out of the way. We’re already late,” called the driver.
“You mind your manners. You’re charging a king’s ransom to take us to Canterbury tonight, so you just…”
“What is it, Martha? What causes the delay?” A man in clerical garb alighted from the coach. To say he was amply proportioned would do his physique insufficient justice. He approached Xandra. “Are you in distress?”
Xandra looked down at her wet, sandy shoes and the hem of her dress which hung damp, heavy and close around her ankles.
“Flollops! Of course she’s in distress. Can’t you see she’s all wet and wobbly?”
Parson Emmanuel Raffles looked both annoyed and abashed. “Martha, you are to be my kitchen maid, not my mouthpiece.” He sighed and muttered, “God forbid.”

message 13: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 197 comments "An unusual story which grips you from beginning to end. Historical detail is well done, and it is a great read."

The above quote from 'telangatuk' refers to:

And here is a further extract. Xandra, from the 21st century, is travelling with her 19th century companions.

"Upon her return, the man was slouched across the entire seat facing the front where Parson Raffles had been sitting; Parson Raffles was remonstrating with him.
“My good man,” said the parson in a manner that conveyed doubts about his own choice of adjective, “I feel I should apprise you of the fact that I am a poor traveller and I need to face the front.”
“Good man? D’you know who you’re talking to?”
His doubts confirmed, the parson replied, “I can see you are no gentleman, despite your attempt at a gentleman’s garb.”
Ooh, thought Xandra, this could turn into an interesting journey.
“I am Alfred Smith. You’ll know my name, of course.”
“I do not, and I have no wish to hear more of it.”
Alfred Smith, no more than twenty-five years of age, held high a bulging, chinking, pouch. “Alfred Smith shall soon be one of the richest men in the county and you’ll be saying you had the good fortune to meet the great man.”
Parson Raffles climbed in the carriage and sat next to, and almost on top of, the aspiring great, but currently drunk and scrawny, Alfred Smith."

If you have not yet read Hide in Time, I hope you will take a look at the ebook on Amazon and, if you buy it, I hope you will enjoy it.

message 14: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 197 comments A quick quote from a UK reviewer of Hide in Time:

"The story unfolded in an unexpected manner and was told in a way that had you rooting for the heroine. A thoroughly enjoyable read. I shall be looking for more books by the same author."

Go on, live dangerously, read to the end and decide which hero and which heroine you like best. I'd love to know.

message 15: by Anna (last edited Jun 03, 2014 08:17AM) (new) - added it

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 197 comments I've just been asked to dance for the first time. I've stood like a wallflower and then it happens. Do you remember that feeling? Who is he/she? Should I?

That's just how I felt when Jaideep asked me for a blog interview. I took the plunge. He has some interesting questions and I kept him waiting for the answers (like all girls do). I didn't mean to, of course; it was nice of him to ask.

I often get to the end of a book and start wondering about the author.

Here's the questions and the answers:

http://pebbleinthestillwaters.blogspo...

message 16: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 197 comments "When a book allows me to become one of the characters....aahhhh, perfection!" Louisa on Goodreads

Hide in Time : A time travel romance: part mystery, part historical, part romance. Misjudging the man she loves, Laura leaves for America in 1814, but is shipwrecked in the English channel and washed ashore in 2009. Too late, she learns the truth about him.

She is assisted in adjusting to twenty-first century living by a psychologist who is fascinated by her and her story of Regency times, highwaymen and her ship wrecked on treacherous sands.

Events confirm Laura's suspicion that the destiny of a woman she meets is linked with her own and she sees a way to restore happiness to the man she still loves and cannot forget. She risks her life and chance of fulfilment to return to 1814. Fortunately someone very special understands.

If you buy this ebook I hope you enjoy it. KCD runs until 15/7/14 $0.99-$1.99 and £0.99

message 17: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 197 comments One Dark Night

It is 1821 and smuggling is rife on the English coast. Lucy Yorton, dragged away from her privileged, comfortable life into this cruel world, finds her problems increase when two men enter her life.

Lieutenant Karl Thorsen, sworn to avenge the death of his father, is a King's man. He is determined to stop the violent smugglers, hang them, and hang and gibbet one in particular.

Daniel Tynton has smuggling in his blood. When he and Lucy witness the torture of a customs' officer, he makes a decision that changes the futures of them all.

£0.99 or $1.50 (or equivalent in other Amazon territories) until late on Wednesday 16th July.

One Dark Night by Anna Faversham

message 18: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 197 comments I've just received a personal message which suggests I let people know the following:-

"I started your new book last night. The writing is blowing me away! I am torn between rushing through to see what happens and dragging it out to make it last longer!"

One Dark Night

message 19: by Anna (last edited Jul 15, 2014 11:18AM) (new) - added it

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 197 comments "Dark romantic mystery on a knife's edge."

A Goodreads' reviewer has started his review with that phrase which captures the essence of

$1.50 or £0.99p until the end of Wednesday 16th July

message 20: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 197 comments One Dark Night by Anna Faversham

One Dark Night, published less than a month ago, now has some helpful reviews. I hope you will find them useful in deciding whether or not to take a closer look at this book set on the English coast in 1821.

"Anna Faversham not only has a wonderful magical imagination, she does her research well. Her descriptions are so vivid I felt like I was there watching and listening..."

message 21: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 197 comments I came across a five star review posted on Amazon by a man who wrote this:

"It was a very enjoyable read - a lovely romance, great descriptions of the countryside and seaside, and good development of the characters. I finished it too quickly!"

It had been sitting there for some days before I noticed it. I wanted to know who the man was who had so thoughtfully left a review. Eventually I discovered that he was himself a writer, a successful one, with an incredibly interesting personal history. He will probably never know how much that review means to me.

message 22: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 197 comments Here's an excerpt from One Dark Night, a tale of vengeance, smuggling, mystery and romance.

"A metallic scraping noise jarred Lucy’s thoughts back to the bleak scene before her. What was that mussel man doing? Lying flat, she edged herself to where she could peek over to the rocks below. He had dug far too deep; mussels didn’t hide way down in the sand. He was also in the one place which was hidden from the sight of the revenue officers at Watch House. He wasn’t alone either. A rough-looking seaman was filling in the hole, now as deep as a grave. She watched as, without a word, they covered the sand with huge chalk rocks and, with a flourish, flung seaweed on the top. They had buried something. Or, God forbid, someone?"

I hope you'll root for Lucy, who's having a tough time of it, fall in love with someone (probably not Bodger, bless him) and cheer loudly if it all comes right in the end. Or cry if it doesn't! I'm not telling.

message 23: by Anna (last edited Oct 29, 2014 12:28PM) (new) - added it

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 197 comments Somewhere on Goodreads I have seen the word 'fluffy' to describe some romances. Then there's that other word that gets used 'gritty'. As One Dark Night is a tale of vengeance, smuggling and mystery, I don't think it can be called fluffy. I don't see it as gritty either.

I suppose everyone can make up their own mind.

Here's an excerpt:

1821 - Lucy has arrived at the farmhouse where she works and finds someone who can make her blush just by being there.

"To reach the porridge on the stove, Lucy had to pass Daniel and the dog, and neither moved. Rather than squeeze between him on her left and the kitchen table, she walked around the other side, collecting a bowl as she went. Still Daniel did not make way for her. “I would be obliged, Mr Tynton, if you would move just enough for me to reach the pot.”
“Say that again and I’ll move.”
Lucy raised her eyes to meet his sparkling blue ones. He was jesting. “Why?”
“I like to hear you talk.”
“Why?” Lucy wondered if it was wise to hold her ground now that Daniel was no longer a boy.
“It’s good to see you’ve still a lot of fight in you, Lucy. I’ve been hearing a few tales.” He nodded his head in the direction of the scullery. “But I can hold out longer and I’ll not move until you say that again for me.”
“Why?” The word had come out quicker than she’d intended. Should she play these games with someone who held her livelihood in his hands?
Daniel took hold of her frozen hand. Lucy withdrew it and immediately regretted her instinctive reaction. His eyes had not left her since she’d walked through the door and her nerve was failing. “You don’t talk like the rest of us round here. I’ve missed your voice and, like me Ma says, you sound like you’re from the gentry.”
He meant it. Lucy could see that gentle look appearing in his eyes, the one she took to bed with her and to her sanctuary on the cliffs, the look which warmed her and fought to stay in her fading stock of cherished memories. Playfully, Lucy dropped him a curtsey and said, “Kind sir, I would be obliged if you would move just enough for me to reach the pot.”

And, as this thread is for 'news', the only news I can give is that I am working on a sequel!

message 24: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 3 comments I would love to read this. Thanks for sharing an excerpt. I have EMF sensitivity and can't enjoy reading on a kindle. Do you ever plan to be published with hard copies by any chance? (I'm sure that is a whole different ballgame, just had to ask.) :)

message 25: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 197 comments Hi Natalie, thank you for getting in touch. Eventually I will publish this in paperback but I cannot give a date. May I add you to my Friend list which will enable me to let you know when it happens?

message 26: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 3 comments Yes, please do! Thanks!

message 27: by Juliann (new)

Juliann Whicker | 20 comments Ha! I love the 'mussel man' which sounds like muscle man. I love a good pun. Not sure if it was intentional or not...

message 28: by Juliann (new)

Juliann Whicker | 20 comments Natalie wrote: "I would love to read this. Thanks for sharing an excerpt. I have EMF sensitivity and can't enjoy reading on a kindle. Do you ever plan to be published with hard copies by any chance? (I'm sure ..."

I've never heard of EMF sensitivity. Thanks for the new concept.

message 29: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 197 comments Juliann wrote: "Ha! I love the 'mussel man' which sounds like muscle man. I love a good pun. Not sure if it was intentional or not..."

I have terrible trouble controlling my brain - it does that sort of thing all the time.

message 30: by Anna (new) - added it

$0.99/99p Kindle Countdown Deal starting 12th November

"5.0 out of 5 stars Superb romantic/historic fiction. Dark and intriguing."

It is 1821 and smuggling is rife on the English coast. Lucy Yorton, dragged away from her privileged early life, finds it impossible to know who to trust, while those around her suspect she is a spy and treat her accordingly. Her problems increase when two men enter her life.

Lieutenant Karl Thorsen, sworn to avenge the death of his father, is a King's man. He is determined to stop the violent smugglers, hang them, and hang and gibbet one in particular.

Daniel Tynton has smuggling in his blood. Undaunted by Thorsen's threats, he is respected and feared. When he witnesses a murder, he makes a bold decision, and many lives will never be the same.

message 31: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 197 comments Here's my contribution to the Christmas spirit. It's taken from Hide in Time by Anna Faversham

Alexandra, with very good reason, travels back in time. Hiding. Not that she can remember why. She is now experiencing her first Christmas in Regency England.

"Now here was the culmination of the festivities – the Leigh-Fox Christmas Soirée to which all the local dignitaries and families of consequence had been invited. It was becoming a most interesting evening. Catherine clearly impressed Sir Humphrey Frobisher’s eldest son, James, for he had not left her side from the moment they were introduced. It was understandable, thought Alexandra. She looked warm, friendly and highly attractive in her peach-coloured dress. The dress was ornamented with Chinese silk trimmings Catherine had told her with the merest hint of pride and more of a longing for approval. How fragile her hold on expectations was becoming. The gown was set off by a pearl and amber matching brooch and necklace. “At last, I have the opportunity to wear mama’s jewels. Adam has brought them out from the ‘safe’,” she’d whispered to Alexandra.

An accomplished pianist was playing while the guests took their seats in the music room; it was so expressive that Alexandra’s curiosity was aroused. She was unable to hide her amazement when she saw Jack at the piano particularly when he began to sing. His voice was deep and pure, one that would charm any woman or lull the most obstreperous baby to sleep. A redeeming feature par excellence.

A most unwelcome thought, pushed rapidly aside, flashed through Alexandra’s mind. Was he the highwayman?"

message 32: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 197 comments Merry Christmas everyone and a happy and healthy new year.

Here's what Christmas was like for one poor girl in 1821 in England. It's taken from

"Having stacked the wood in the hearth, Lucy grabbed her shabby shawl and headed towards the sea. It was a cold, clear Christmas Day, and she curled up in her favourite place.

It had been a wonderful world – her world – lost now, maybe forever. But no one could take away her memories. Hidden from view, high on a ledge of scrubby bushes jutting from the cliffs, she could hold these memories in her mind, in her heart, where no one knew they existed. They warmed her when nothing else could. Whenever possible she would go back in time to watch the characters as if they were in a play. Ignoring the man searching for mussels at the foot of the cliffs, she drew her knees to her chin, tucked her toes under her outgrown dress, snuggled into her thin woollen shawl, and remembered."

I hope you will enjoy Lucy's tale if you read it.

message 33: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 197 comments From now until 1st January, Hide in Time, will be available for 99p or 99c on a Kindle Countdown Deal.

In 2009 Xandra (Alexandra)needs a place to hide: she has crossed swords with criminals. She is given a chance to escape - but to where, and when? This excerpt is taken from Hide in Time when Xandra starts her journey to 1814.

"How long it seems since yesterday, thought Xandra. Today, like this tunnel, seems longer than forever. Will there be a tomorrow? Apprehension sowed the seed of fear. Her feet were no longer feeling the touch of the ground. She stopped. Silence. Absolute silence. Not even the sound of her own breathing. She took a step forward then stopped again. She was in control. She had mastered fear before and would do so now. Tentatively feeling the wall with her right hand, and reassured by its cold, damp reality, she clutched her bag closer and resumed her dark journey.

"She followed her outstretched hand as it felt around a corner. She stopped. Fear dispelled, a smile germinated. A glorious shaft of light, like a curtain of rainbow colours, was no more than fifty yards ahead. She gasped as, once more, she felt the sandy floor beneath her and hastened towards the irresistible luminance. She hesitated before stepping into the wispy-looking light; it stole her breath. Not light and airy as she’d expected, it was heavy, an intense radiance, as if the light of centuries had been condensed into this one, deceptive shimmer. Defiantly, she shielded her eyes, pushed through the curtain of light and did not look back."

So if you too fancy some escapism, you might enjoy this book.

Hope you are having a great Christmas/new year.

message 34: by Anna (new) - added it

"Superb romantic/historic fiction. Dark and intriguing." (A Goodreads' reviewer)

Excerpt:

(Lieutenant Thorsen is a Riding Officer with a nose that can sniff out things that don't add up. He's been watching Lucy for some time...)

“You are working all week. Don’t they pay you enough?”
Oh, so he was trying to put Daniel and his family down. “They pay me quite well.”
“Then why can’t you purchase something that fits? That patched grey dress is too short, your ankles are on show, and it’s too tight and your boots won’t last much longer.”
“I mistook you for a gentleman, Lieutenant.” Lucy walked away yet added, “Our household expenses are no concern of yours.”
The Lieutenant followed. “Revenue is my concern.”
Lucy could see little connection between her lack of good clothing and his dutiful collection of rightful revenue. She took a few steps further away.
“How money is obtained and how it is spent is a subject pertaining to my duties.” Karl Thorsen pursued her. “It’s not easy to hide things from me. It’s my sworn duty to know what’s going on, even that which is hidden. Your mother’s clothing and yours are too dissimilar to ease my mind on matters which are in my charge.”
“Good heavens, Lieutenant Thorsen, are you saying my mother is obtaining money by unlawful means?”

If the evenings are dark, wet and dismal where you are, I hope you will enjoy curling up with some characters who are also facing some dark nights.

message 35: by Anna (last edited Feb 12, 2015 04:01AM) (new) - added it

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 197 comments $0.99/99p Kindle Countdown Deal until Tues 17 February

"Her descriptions are so vivid I felt like I was there watching and listening to the voices, the sea, and the flute. I highly recommend this book to all lovers of history or romance. The romance is more than just the love story." Goodreads Reviewer

It is 1821 and smuggling is rife on the English coast. Lucy Yorton, dragged away from her privileged early life, finds it impossible to know who to trust, while those around her suspect she is a spy and treat her accordingly. Her problems increase when two men enter her life.

Daniel Tynton has smuggling in his blood. Undaunted by Thorsen's threats, he is respected and feared. When he witnesses a murder, he makes a bold decision, and many lives will never be the same.

If the nights are still dark where you are, I hope you will curl up and enjoy 'One Dark Night'.

message 36: by Anna (new) - added it

If you want to pick up a time travel romance which hops between 2009 and 1814, Hide in Time will remain at 99p/99c only until Saturday 21st March.

Laura has a regret which is a bit difficult to put right but where there's a will, there's a way.

message 37: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 197 comments Have you ever regretted something and wished you could go back in time and put it right? It's even more difficult if you find yourself two centuries away.

Hide in Time is 99p/99c until Tuesday 29th April.