The Great Gatsby The Great Gatsby discussion

What if?

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jack Ronan What if Eve would've never have eaten the apple of the tree. Would we be living in the Garden of Eden having fun or would life would be like it now but we would have no sin and we wouldn't die?

What do you guys think?

Paul Martin Josh wrote: "If Eve never ate from the tree, than the rest of us would not exist. Sin is a natural element of life. Without it we would cease to exist. We are a product of it. Also, what has this got to do with..."

'Sin' is whatever we want it to be.

message 3: by Monty J (last edited Feb 12, 2014 11:51AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Monty J Heying Jack wrote: "What if Eve would've never have eaten the apple of the tree. Would we be living in the Garden of Eden having fun or would life would be like it now but we would have no sin and we wouldn't die?

W..."

What do I think? Judging from your empty and open-ended question and empty profile, I think you could a web troll hired by Goodreads to post provocative questions without providing significant insight into the topic.

It's a sign of desperation on the part a panicky management searching for a formula for attracting content that is sufficiently interesting to attract enough hits to sell advertising.

Matthew Williams And what does any of that have to do with the Great Gatsby? I would wonder why anyone would bother to ask such a pointless question about theological allegories as if they were somehow real, but I think Monty has the right of it. This isn't a real question, is it? Just a stab at inciting discussion by using the cheapest, quickest, hot button topic of them all: religion.

Holly What if trolls found something more constructive to do with their time? Why, we'd all be romping in an Edenlike paradise.

Paul Martin Holly wrote: "What if trolls found something more constructive to do with their time? Why, we'd all be romping in an Edenlike paradise."

Trolling can be enormously gratifying!

Geoffrey But Monty, you fell right for it. You continued the message thread, so the troll probably gets paid for the number of responses he receives. Where is Frodo when we need him?

Monty J Heying Geoffrey wrote: "But Monty, you fell right for it. You continued the message thread, so the troll probably gets paid for the number of responses he receives. Where is Frodo when we need him?"

Yeah, but I only posted once. Oops, twice because of you. Grrr.

message 9: by Mochaspresso (last edited Feb 22, 2014 05:13AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mochaspresso Jack wrote: "What if Eve would've never have eaten the apple of the tree. Would we be living in the Garden of Eden having fun or would life would be like it now but we would have no sin and we wouldn't die?

W..."

We'd still be right where we are now. Adam and Eve would have remained blissfully ignorant, but along the way someone else would have eventually become curious enough to eat from the tree.

GatbsyLover20 Or to make this interesting.. What if Gatsby survived getting shot by Wilson.

Geoffrey Or even more interesting. Suppose Gatsby ate the Apple.

GatbsyLover20 That doesnt even make sense

Paul Martin Damian wrote: "That doesnt even make sense"

Free your mind!

message 14: by Rebecca (last edited Feb 22, 2014 06:33AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Rebecca I think of the whole fall from grace as a story about evolving self-conciousness.
I imagine we would be living something like how chimps live, in the forests or on the savannah. Well maybe not like chimps, chimps and even monkeys have social rules and ideas of behaviours that are not acceptable, something similar to "sin".
I mean when psychologists damage the amygdala of monkeys they behave with no self control and do things that turn them into outcasts.

Anyone who has ever had a dog will know that dogs can learn the difference between right and wrong to a certain extent. They can generalize and abstract rules, but not on the level that humans can.

And you know that young children don't understand empathy or things like that by default, but have to be taught. In that way adults are like the serpent, telling them they are naked so that they cover up.

I guess it's like a continuum, with monkeys and other animals being capable of understanding something like "sin" but not on the scale of humans.
I suppose to be on the other end of the continuum, to not have a concept of sin, would be to live as a snake or another animal who doesn't have to live in communities and for that reason never develops any sense of right and wrong.

Benja We wouldn't have any stories other than the one if man hadn't fallen into temptation. And it's not an apple, Bible just says "fruit". Could've been quince for all we know.

message 16: by Jack (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jack Ronan Actually guys I'm a 13 year old teen...

Feliks Simon says you're a 13 yr old teen..

message 18: by Matthew (last edited Feb 24, 2014 11:50PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Matthew Williams Jack wrote: "Actually guys I'm a 13 year old teen..."

Clearly. So care to explain why you posted a literalist theological question in a forum about The Great Gatsby? Were the religious forums full, or did you pick at random?