The Aviator's Wife The Aviator's Wife discussion

Comments

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Felix De When I started this book I didn't know what it was going to be about. I am in the middle now and find it an interesting look into how the life of a partner of a famous person might be. It was getting a little slow but now there is some excitement. I will be looking up some facts to see how much of this story is based on fact

message 2: by Dale (new) - rated it 1 star

Dale Hi: I hope you will check out my review of the book. As the author stated, it is fiction.

message 3: by Anita (new) - added it

Anita I'm about 1/3 of the way through this book which was highly recommended. So far, I see no redeeming features of the "stars" of the book. Hope they turn out to be better people than they are now.

message 4: by Dale (last edited Mar 17, 2014 08:41AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Dale Hi. Just one suggestion. Google Anne Morrow Lindbergh. See what wikipedia, Anne's or her daughter, Reeves own words say about her. Or look at the facts...including the many, many awards she received, both early and late in her career, then decide if she could accomplish all that if she is the timid, downtrodden and overlooked heroine that Ms Benjamin paints her.

message 5: by Anita (new) - added it

Anita Dale, my criteria for not liking the characters is totally based on this fictional characterization. If this were a story not based on real life characters, I still wouldn't like them.

message 6: by Dale (last edited Mar 17, 2014 08:42AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Dale Hi Anita. Have you read my review of The Aviator's Wife? It's the one with one star; not all the many, many 4 and 5 stars.

message 7: by Anita (new) - added it

Anita Did read your review--thank you. Imho, it is a shame the author chose this path. I know a little about Lindbergh, who I don't care for, but this book doesn't intrigue me to learn more about Mrs. Lindbergh at all. I would think an author would want that after a book.

message 8: by Dale (new) - rated it 1 star

Dale Too bad. I think you are missing something special. This woman is not perfect, nor was her husband or her marriage. But what she was still able to accomplish Makes her a hero in my book! Despite Melanie twisting of facts. Did you know Anne was voted one of "The Top Ten Most Admired Women" by readers of Good Housekeeping Magazine? (And not just because she lost a child to a kidnapping!)

message 9: by Anita (new) - added it

Anita Your comments may make me want to learn more, but the author's story does not. That is what is really too bad. Of course, who's to say what an author's motivation needs to be?

message 10: by Dale (new) - rated it 1 star

Dale Did you happen to read my comment about "why" she may have written the 3 books? Alice I Have Been and THe Autobiography of Mrs Tom Thumb. Makes you think? Could it be? THey all have something in common.

message 11: by Anita (last edited Mar 18, 2014 05:18AM) (new) - added it

Anita Yes I did read your comment and while I didn't read Alice, many years ago one of my book clubs did and there is much evidence out there that Carroll was a pedophile--it just wasn't viewed as it is today. I did Mrs. Tom thumb and didn't realize she was real. I didn't care for the book much and closed it and forgot about it. I find I consider a book "good" if I think about it after I finish it. Will not think about Aviator's Wife once I finish it, I'm sure. Will continue to read, hoping I'm wrong. :-)

Thank you for reviewing books. I really appreciate reading reviews by readers but don't take the time myself. Too busy reading! lol

message 12: by Dale (new) - rated it 1 star

Dale Re:"Alice I Have Been" Since 1999 Biographers have repudiated the "pediphile" gossip and have exonerated him.

The early rumors of Lewis Carroll, aka Charles Dodgson were largely based on 20th & 21st century eyes, and did not factor in that in Victorian times this was a prevalent aesthetic and philosophical movement of the time. Studies of child nudes were mainstream and fashionable in Dodgson's time and made as a matter of course. Child nudes even appered on Victorial Christmas cards.

Early biographers claimed Dodgson had no interest in grown women, however that has been proven false by Dodgson's personal diary and papers, and in fact were his relations with women were deemed scandalous (by the social standards of his time). Dodgson was a teacher and enjoyed children and was always chaparoned. There has never been direct proof that the relationship was anything other than platonic.

In 1996, a note in Dodgson's neice's handwriting, written prior to the Diary's pages being removed, stated that the break between Dodgson and the Liddell family was caused by concern over alleged gossip linking Dodgson to the family governess and to "Ina" (Alice's OLDER sister, Lorina). The missing pages had nothing to do with Alice.

SURELY MS BENJAMIN WAS AWARE OF THIS; SO WHY THE BOOK INSINUATING THAT HE WAS A PEDOPHILE?

Too bad you don't do reviews. I'd like to see them.

message 13: by Anita (new) - added it

Anita it really is amazing how hard it is to lose a reputation. Do admit my book club, when reading Alice, was in the 80's. Definitely way before the new info came out.

message 14: by Dale (new) - rated it 1 star

Dale Don't feel bad. It wasn't until late in 1996 that the powers that be proclaimed Dodgson innocent. What I am amazed at is what great ratings Benjamin's books get. As Mark Twain said "If it's in writing, then it must be so."

Kevin Tucker I very much enjoyed this book, as a work of fiction with a little bit of history thrown in....

message 16: by Dale (last edited Apr 02, 2014 11:53AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Dale Kevin: I am glad you did. You are not alone. I just don't get it. Why bother with something that misleads? Especially when, in this case, the truth is better than fiction. I personaly think Anne deserves better.

Kevin Tucker Dale, I also liked, The Paris Wife......I read these as fiction with a little fact thrown in for good measure....

Michael I loved this book, it was a really good spin on Historical Fiction.

message 19: by Dale (new) - rated it 1 star

Dale According to Great Reads, and other societies of learned books, historical fiction should never distort facts, change the personality of famous people or change historical information. Ms Benjamin does this in abundance. I have not read "The Paris Wife". One of my favorite genres is historical fiction. "Pillars of the Earth" is a great example. "The Winds of War" and "Exodus" are other examples. I am really not a difficult person. I just don't see that an author lying about a famous person makes for good reading...especially when that person they protrayed is so marvelous. But each to their own.

barbara Dale wrote: "Hi. Just one suggestion. Google Anne Morrow Lindbergh. See what wikipedia, Anne's or her daughter, Reeves own words say about her. Or look at the facts...including the many, many awards she rece..."

Kevin wrote: "Dale, I also liked, The Paris Wife......I read these as fiction with a little fact thrown in for good measure...."

Kevin wrote: "Dale, I also liked, The Paris Wife......I read these as fiction with a little fact thrown in for good measure...."

Dale wrote: "Hi. Just one suggestion. Google Anne Morrow Lindbergh. See what wikipedia, Anne's or her daughter, Reeves own words say about her. Or look at the facts...including the many, many awards she rece..."

I never felt that Ms. Benjamin viewed AML as a downtrodden, overlooked heroine. She was a creature of her time and social status. To me the heart of the book was her ability to move away from following the dictates of the men in her life to becoming her own person. Winning an award because you've followed "orders" and winning an award because you have made the decisions that led to winning that award is what my take away was from this book. I have read and enjoyed both The Paris Wife and Mrs Tom Thumb and yes I agree there is a common theme - women discovering their own strength and acting on it.

message 21: by Dale (last edited Apr 05, 2014 05:50AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Dale Hi Barbara C. Not to be argumentative, but you are basing your info on Ms Benjamin. Anne felt liberated when she met and married her husband. He opened many doors for her, but she gladly went through on her own accord. Not because he made her. She loved flying. She loved travel. She loved her family. And she loved her husband. Was he perfect...No. Was she perfect...No. But that is why I am so impressed. Anne wrote because she always wanted to, and had won some awards before meeting Charles, and many, many after. And this "following orders" business. Ask your grandmother what marriage was like in those days. If she had married a type A personality, determined and driven (surely Anne was aware of this before she married him?) would your grandmother expect to sleep in and not fix breakfast on her honeymoon? Or today for that matter. It was just the two of them on the boat. Was Charles going to cook??? And again, did that even happen? So much in the book never happened, or dates were altered to match Ms Benjamin's account and worse, her (Anne's & Charles reactions) were totally boggus. I especially hated the part of Anne being relieved to hear of her father dying so she could go home. First off, trip happened before the kidnapping. Second, she was enjoying the trip and flying and meeting new people in unexplored areas and was looking forward to continuing the trip. She was devestated to hear about her father and that, added to the kidnapping made for a very difficult time for her. MS BENJAMIN'S ACCOUNT IS JUST WRONG AND UNJUST TO A GREAT LADY.

barbara My goodness, no need to yell. I respectfully submit that when it comes down to it, despite your plethora of words, in the end your review reflects your reaction to the historical fiction of Mrs. Benjamin's' account of Mrs. Lindberg's life. And yes, I have read and am aware of Mrs. Lindberg's pre-marital awards, but to me the book tracked her internal journey; as well as the history of a long marriage lived under the constant spotlight of public scrutiny. Hilary Mantel has some interesting insights into the process and responsibilities of writing historical fiction. I would recommend her writings on this matter. One point vis a vis your comments confuse me - what in the world does "cooking have to do with anything?

message 23: by Dale (new) - rated it 1 star

Dale Barbara: I apologize if you felt I was yelling. That was certainly not my intention. Nor did I want to be augumentative or disrespectful. We each have our own opinions and no reason to change it or take offense.

barbara Precisely

message 25: by Betsy (last edited Oct 03, 2014 06:13AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Betsy Hetzel Barbara, I am WITH you 100% and I will not re-echo the points that you made to which I agree 100% !
I have read that Charles was a very controlling man, what he said was the way it was, no argument. Given Anne's shyness (documented) and being a product of her times w/ the man in charge, Benjamin's account "rings true" to me, and I enjoyed reading about her "internal journey" that Benjamin envisioned (fiction); it seemed to fit. And, yes, Anne was a great woman aviatrix in her own right and was presented many accolades and w/out Charles these would not have happened = good for her! That Charles had THREE separate lives/families (documented) = such a betrayal she did not deserve , and she had to have known but she stuck it out w/ him until , approaching her 50's, she became her own woman and led a satisfying life in Manhatten = hooray for her! I do think that Anne was a great lady, for many reasons, and applauded her final strength in "breaking away" from a disappointing man/ husband and not giving him his final forgiveness which he didn't deserve.