Presidential Biographies discussion

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne With so many biographies, out there, which one would you recommend for me?

message 2: by William (new)

William Mego (willmego) I can tell you the first one I'm planning on reading, and I did a fair amount of research, and that is FDR, by Jean Edward Smith. Here in no special order are the other FDR related books on my presidential to-read list (currently over 120 books):

Roosevelt: The Lion and the Fox, 1882-1940

Traitor to His Class: The Privileged Life and Radical Presidency of Franklin Delano Roosevelt

The Defining Moment: FDR's Hundred Days and the Triumph of Hope

Supreme Power: Franklin Roosevelt vs. the Supreme Court

No Ordinary Time: Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt

message 3: by James (new)

James Keenley (jkeenley) | 23 comments I second Will's recommendation of the Jean Edward Smith biography.

message 4: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne My biggest concern is that it's a balanced book. I want to make sure it's not just an "FDR is the greatest President" type of book. I want to see the real FDR, warts and all.

message 5: by James (new)

James Keenley (jkeenley) | 23 comments Though Smith clearly admires FDR, this is not a hagiography. He discusses FDR's failures as objectively as he discusses his triumphs. It is, in that light, very balanced and, yes, it includes "warts and all."

message 6: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne James wrote: "Though Smith clearly admires FDR, this is not a hagiography. He discusses FDR's failures as objectively as he discusses his triumphs. It is, in that light, very balanced and, yes, it includes "wart..."

Thanks!