THE Group for Authors! discussion

General Discussion > Deleting Threads

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shaun (new)

Shaun Horton | 39 comments So, I've noticed a handful of threads disappear today after the creator of the thread posted that it would be. I had previously been under the impression that threads weren't generally deleted, not even by request of the people that started them. Is that a new policy?

message 2: by Daniel (last edited Feb 11, 2014 01:21AM) (new)

Daniel Benshana | 23 comments When we ran forums we never deleted threads that contained bad language, abusive or broke the rule. We edited them. Usually with asterisks. The point being everyone could see what was done, and the reasons. It is a far fairer way to handle people in group situations where you try to maintain certain rules for the benefit of everyone. Deletion benefits no one except those terrified to stop losing the money they are making through the density of their members and position on the Net.

GR has been deleting reviews for years now and no doubt will continue to. Deleting threads in conversations will be part of the same ignorant process.

It is amazing to me that people brought up with the idea of free speech become dictators the moment they are given the tiniest bit of power. It doesn't inspire me with any hope that we are maturing as a species.

message 3: by Martyn (new)

Martyn Halm (amsterdamassassinseries) | 248 comments Shaun wrote: "So, I've noticed a handful of threads disappear today after the creator of the thread posted that it would be. I had previously been under the impression that threads weren't generally deleted, not..."

Are those the thread by DA Ink? I was wondering about that too. It's especially disheartening considering the possibility of abuse...

message 4: by Nick (new)

Nick (nickanthony51) | 400 comments Daniel,

When you create a website, pay to maintain the servers and are threatened with lawsuits everyday over meaningless crap, then you get to make the rules.

It has nothing to do with free speech. Goodreads is not a public entity. You have no idea what goes on behind the scenes...

message 5: by Steve (new)

Steve Downes (stevedownes) | 8 comments free speech is an illusion anyway ...try it on any street in the western world and you'll see that (oops almost ranting there better put my gag in [smile ... with gag])

message 6: by Martyn (new)

Martyn Halm (amsterdamassassinseries) | 248 comments Back on topic: there is a user who set up some weird website for writers, offering paid reviews, etcetera. The thread where a discussion where he was acccused of spamming is now gone, after he claimed he could get that thread removed.

Apart from the thread being removed, there is a chance that this person will 're-invent' himself and continue with his 'business'. So has this thread been removed by this person, or has GoodReads assisted him, while his 'business' is against GR TOS?

message 7: by rivka (new)

rivka | 562 comments Shaun wrote: "So, I've noticed a handful of threads disappear today after the creator of the thread posted that it would be."

Was this within a group? Group mods may delete threads within their groups if they so choose.

message 8: by Shaun (last edited Feb 11, 2014 10:57AM) (new)

Shaun Horton | 39 comments Well, I looked in some of my own older threads and I noticed the thing to click on to delete the thread. So, I'm going to assume that after a certain number of posts have been made, the original author loses that ability. Is that the case?

To answer the question, no, this person wasn't a mod in the group where the threads were deleted.

message 9: by rivka (new)

rivka | 562 comments Shaun wrote: "So, I'm going to assume that after a certain number of posts have been made, the original author loses that ability. Is that the case?"

Correct. But each user can always delete their own individual posts in a thread.

message 10: by Shaun (new)

Shaun Horton | 39 comments Ah. I just noted in that particular group, that the originator of a thread has only to ask a mod to delete it, if they are unable to. Fascinating.