Brandon Sanderson Community discussion

Questions > Confessions:

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marcus (new)

Marcus | 41 comments I have a deep dark confession............... I am a Brandon Sanderson fan and I have never read Mistborn.....there it goes I let the cat out of the bag.

I became a Sanderson fan after reading SteelHeart. and I absolutely loved that book. So I must confess I just got my copy of Mistborn:The Final Empire in the mail. I will probably start reading it sometime this week.

message 2: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth Geary (kennethhayes) | 118 comments Good luck sleeping once you start, you won't want to put it down

message 3: by Jbb Lim (new)

Jbb Lim (jbblkh) | 1 comments I agree with Kenneth. I'm currently reading and I'm hooked!!

message 4: by Marcus (new)

Marcus | 41 comments well thanks for the warning.

message 5: by Luke (new)

Luke | 132 comments I've read The Way of Kings, Elantris, and the WoT books that he finished but I have yet to read Mistborn either.

message 6: by Lance (new)

Lance (pdxlance) | 60 comments The WoT books got me to search out his other books. I got lucky and found the Mistborn series first. In addition to the books already mentioned, check out Warbreaker. Also, The Rithmatist was pretty good and had a completely different magic system than I had ever read before.

message 7: by Luke (new)

Luke | 132 comments I've been meaning to get to Steelheart, Warbreaker, and Mistborn, I just always seem to get pulled in another direction. It's crazy that I haven't got to them yet since Sanderson is my all time favorite author.

message 8: by Lance (new)

Lance (pdxlance) | 60 comments If he does a book signing by you, be sure to go. He is a really nice guy.

message 9: by Luke (last edited Feb 12, 2014 02:33PM) (new)

Luke | 132 comments I've watched a lot of his videos from his writing class, and he seems awesome. He has a signing in OH on March 19th that I'm going to go to. I can't tell if I'm more excited about The Words of Radiance, or having him sign my copy and meeting him in person :3

message 10: by Lance (new)

Lance (pdxlance) | 60 comments Be sure to bring your copy of Way of Kings for him to sign too.

message 11: by Luke (new)

Luke | 132 comments I have one of the first edition copies of "The Gathering Storm" that had Robert Jordan's signature printed in it (posthumously), so I'm going to have Sanderson sign it (As well as probably 2 other books since the signing doesn't have a limit).

Brenda ╰☆╮    (brnda) | 10 comments I became an instant fan of Brandon Sanderson after I read The Way of Kings.

Just recently read the first Mistborn, liked it, but not the same as TWoK.
I hear the series as a whole is IT.

message 13: by Luke (new)

Luke | 132 comments So, in March I've got to purchase a hardcover TWoK (my copy is paperback, and I don't feel right about having it signed), WoR, and probably Steelheart. That'll eat my entire book budget for the month lol.

message 14: by Rainer (new)

Rainer Dela Cuesta (delacuesta) | 9 comments I'm currently reading the second book of the Mistborn trilogy. Luckily, it's spring break next week for me!

message 15: by Marcus (new)

Marcus | 41 comments Rainer wrote: "I'm currently reading the second book of the Mistborn trilogy. Luckily, it's spring break next week for me!"

I got the first and third book right now. I got them really cheap one on amazon, the other at a thrift store. I want to buy the second one, but i am willing to wait to see if i can get the larger paperback or a hardcover at bargin before I settle on the mass market paperback.

message 16: by Marcus (new)

Marcus | 41 comments Okay I have finally finished Mistborn: The Final Empire. And I just started the Well of Acension. And I gotta say Wow, I saw none of the twist in the ending. I did see some forshadowing of the lord rulers death having something to do with terrismen, but my guess how the terrismen would effect the end of the story was wrong.

Also the fight scene between kelsier and the inquistar, was one of the best fight scences I have ever read.

However I must confessed I still like STEELHEART Better, I found steelheart a much more entertaining book and I liked the characters in Steelheart better. I like the genre of comic book hero/villian themes.

Granted I Mistborn is better written with much more depth in philosophy and theme. but I still like steelheart a lil better.

message 17: by Marcus (new)

Marcus | 41 comments Rainer wrote: "I'm currently reading the second book of the Mistborn trilogy. Luckily, it's spring break next week for me!"

I just finished well of ascension, last week, and started on Hero of Ages, I should be done by the middle of next week.

message 18: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth Geary (kennethhayes) | 118 comments DId you notice Hoid in Well?

message 19: by Marcus (new)

Marcus | 41 comments No I missed him. Now I feel like going back to find him.

message 20: by Marcus (new)

Marcus | 41 comments I am burning through hero of ages...Will be done with it tonight. It is SOOO good. {i almost want to start rereading the whole series again, but I won't} I'll just wait.

I'm torn with starting the Shadows series by Brent Weeks next or the Harry Potter series. I have the majority of both series sitting on my book shelf right now. So I thought it would be better to read what i already have, then go out and purchase some new books, when I already have several classic series sitting on my bookshelf.

message 21: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth Geary (kennethhayes) | 118 comments I'm a big fan of Weeks so he'll get my vote.

message 22: by Luke (new)

Luke | 132 comments I haven't read either of those, so I have no advice. I really want to get to Week's work, but my TBR gets longer every day :(

message 23: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth Geary (kennethhayes) | 118 comments If you decide to go the Weeks route start with Night Angel, not Lightbringer.

Lightbringer is good, however only two of the books are out right now and the second book cuts you off right in the middle of the climax

message 24: by Donna (new)

Donna | 23 comments I just got a reply from Brandon Sanderson himself, to an email I wrote a while back! How cool is that? I do love it when authors take the time to respond to fans. :) Michael J Sullivan is another author who does this.

message 25: by Shayn (new)

Shayn (corsair-who) | 4 comments Mistborn is by far some of his best work in my opinion. The magic system he crafted for that world is nothing short of genius.

message 26: by Godslayer (last edited Jul 29, 2014 05:26AM) (new)

Godslayer | 10 comments Luke wrote: "I haven't read either of those, so I have no advice. I really want to get to Week's work, but my TBR gets longer every day :("

Night Angel is good, but I think the Lightbringer books puts Weeks on par with most of Sanderson's books. (Stormlight reigns supreme though)

Strangely, there is something terrific about the Rithmatist that I cannot explain, but I know it will be one of those books that I will read over and over. Not one to overlook.

message 27: by Marcus (new)

Marcus | 41 comments k

message 28: by Marcus (new)

Marcus | 41 comments I really want to read the rithmatist as well. but I think I will wait until book two of the series comes out before I jump onto that bandwagon.

message 29: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth Geary (kennethhayes) | 118 comments book one of Rithmatist has a pretty decent ending, by which I mean it doesn't just leave you hanging but rather wraps up with openings for more tales.