Reading the Chunksters discussion

The Once and Future King (The Once and Future King, #1-4)
This topic is about The Once and Future King
Archived 2014 Group Reads > 2/10-2/16 Book II, Chapters 1-7

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristi (new) - added it

Kristi (kristicoleman) What are your thoughts on the beginning of the second book?

Becky I think this is a duplicate post?

message 3: by Kristi (new) - added it

Kristi (kristicoleman) I have deleted the other one. Please post your thoughts here.

message 4: by Rosemary (last edited Feb 12, 2014 03:42AM) (new)

Rosemary I enjoyed this section (view spoiler) I like the way the four boys all play together even though they squabble, it seemed very realistic.

It's very topical this year too with the Scots voting on independence in the autumn. No longer are these things decided by wars and conquests - at least not here.

I see this Book is very short - only one more section and Book II will be finished!

message 5: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda | 1316 comments I also enjoyed the first half of book 2, although as some had pointed out earlier the tale quickly becomes dark. The details of preparing Queen Morgause's invisible potion using the cat made me feel very squeamish, and I felt so bad for the cat, of course. I suppose most fairy tales concerning potions of this sort are usually not so full of details - they are usually more like "for this potion we need one black cat, one toadstool, two feathers, etc...", and then they move on (at least from the fairy tales that I remember).

Also, the scene with the unicorn was horrifying. I thought the contrasting descriptions of the unicorn's beauty and of it's carnage were done very well, although it was heart wrenching to read. And then of course it was sad to see that for all the boys' hard work in trying to do something to please their mother and find some love and attention in return, they are simply ignored and then punished.

I agree with Rosemary that the interactions among the four boys was realistic, showing their differences in character and how that plays into their squabbles. It was nice to see all four boys playing together.

I found the King Pellinore bit where he disembarks the ship in the land of the Gaels pretty humorous, I liked how we see a bit more of him and the Questing Beast.

message 6: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam (aramsamsam) Oh my, I just realized I've missed the date to begin with book 2! I finished book 1 early and then... Well, I hope I'll catch up soon (shouldn't be a problem with the audiobook) ;)

Andrea (tasseled) | 189 comments Oh yes, the scenes with the cat and the unicorn made me really cringe. The killings were rather gruesome. But to look past that, I find that the way unicorn was "butchered" by the boys corresponds to their idealization of tales of chivalry and disconnection from the real world due to their age. They do have good intentions at first (wanting to bring the unicorn home and impress their mother), but because they do not understand that the hunt is about ugly death not a gallant pageantry, they manage to botch the whole thing pretty quick. A pretty powerful message in my opinion.

Alana (alanasbooks) | 456 comments I just started this section (chapter one) and I have to say, boiling the cat alive is one of the most disturbing things I've ever read. I hope the rest of the book isn't like that. :(

Alana (alanasbooks) | 456 comments End of chapter III: "Life is too bitter already, without territories and wars and noble feuds."

message 10: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam (aramsamsam) Andrea wrote: "Oh yes, the scenes with the cat and the unicorn made me really cringe. The killings were rather gruesome. But to look past that, I find that the way unicorn was "butchered" by the boys corresponds ..."

I like your interpretation, Andrea! It corresponds to Arthurs plan to "teach" the other knights to act for the good while feeling powerful as members of the round table.

message 11: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Oh I miss the joviality of Wart and Merlyn. I just read chp 1 and I'm in the tears. The poor innocents - cat and children alike.

Alana (alanasbooks) | 456 comments Chapter V: twenty bottles of mountain dew? Is this a 20th century, Merlin-moving-back-through-time thing, or am I missing the original mountain dew meaning?

message 13: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam (aramsamsam) Alana wrote: "Chapter V: twenty bottles of mountain dew? Is this a 20th century, Merlin-moving-back-through-time thing, or am I missing the original mountain dew meaning?"

It's a euphemism for illicitly distillated schnapps. See here for other nice terms.

Alana (alanasbooks) | 456 comments I'd heard "white lightning" but I'd never heard "mountain dew" before. How funny! Things I've learned reading this book...

message 15: by Izzy (new)

Izzy Holmes | 46 comments Poor unicorn and black cat this book has certainly taken a more sinister turn.