Struggling Writers discussion

Writer's Corner > How do you write when you're busy?

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nuzhat (new)

Nuzhat Yousuf (shababa51) | 47 comments I'm so busy with my studies that I have no time to write :(

message 2: by R.F.G. (new)

R.F.G. Cameron | 601 comments With an infant daughter to take care of I have those days.

It helps to make notes for a story when there's little time for anything else.

Which reminds me, more laundry to do this morning.

message 3: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) | 2500 comments Nuzhat wrote: "I'm so busy with my studies that I have no time to write :("

Have you tired really blocking out your time? I mean sitting down, writing out your class times; figuring out how long it is going to take you to do homework; and then block out a specific amount of time to write (say an hour). Then, truly stick to this schedule. My day is pretty much always absolutely packed and can change on a whim, but I make time to write, eat, and try to hop on here for a few minuets.

message 4: by Nuzhat (new)

Nuzhat Yousuf (shababa51) | 47 comments Hmm thnx!

message 5: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) | 2500 comments Nuzhat wrote: "Hmm thnx!"

It can really help. Most people don't realize they have time because they have a hard time visualizing how their schedule actually works.

message 6: by Nuzhat (new)

Nuzhat Yousuf (shababa51) | 47 comments I have o levels on May so I study almost all the time :(

message 7: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) | 2500 comments Nuzhat wrote: "I have o levels on May so I study almost all the time :("

You should be blocking out when you study (into time chunks)...taking breaks is actually good for you.

message 8: by Nuzhat (new)

Nuzhat Yousuf (shababa51) | 47 comments Yeah I'll try

message 9: by Victor (new)

Victor (ace-geek) I'm not a serious author, I just write as a hobby to amuse myself and play with tropes. But mostly I just 'write' the stories in my head while I'm busy and then get them typed out when I'm not. You don't have to just sit down and only then start writing. If you're really busy I agree that blocking out your time should help.

message 10: by Nuzhat (new)

Nuzhat Yousuf (shababa51) | 47 comments Thnx!

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Weldon (sarahrweldon-author) | 6045 comments To find extra writing time I shelve all the chores ending with an 'ing'! For instance, ironing is always the first to go, I hate ironing...

It's surprising how much time in the day is used up by doing things ending in 'ing'.!

message 12: by Emma (new)

Emma Iadanza (emmaiadanza) I just do it. Whenever I have a spare moment c

message 13: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Jackson (paperbackdiva) Even 15 minutes at a time can do wonders.

message 14: by Philip (new)

Philip Dodd (philipdodd) | 35 comments If I am busy, among pots and pans in the kitchen, or, outside, mending the fence in the garden, and I get an idea for some prose or verse, I keep repeating it in my head, until I am able to write it down in my notebook. The worst time to get an idea is when I am far from home. By the time I am, the idea is often forgotten, much to my frustration.

message 15: by Heather (new)

Heather | 128 comments One sentence at a time. ^_^

message 16: by Nuzhat (new)

Nuzhat Yousuf (shababa51) | 47 comments Thnx all!

message 17: by Philip (new)

Philip (phenweb) | 75 comments have this problem right now having just started a new job - busy weekend ahead

message 18: by K.P. (new)

K.P. Merriweather (kp_merriweather) | 47 comments I have an old messaging phone with keyboard and word processor on it (Polaris 3) and it works when inspiration strikes while on the go

message 19: by Eva (last edited Jun 07, 2015 05:23AM) (new)

Eva King | 1071 comments In my opinion the problem isn't finding the time to write. But the time to edit.

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Weldon (sarahrweldon-author) | 6045 comments Eva wrote: "In my opinion the problem isn't finding the time to write. But the time to edit."

Philip wrote: "have this problem right now having just started a new job - busy weekend ahead"

I know the feeling well and I don't go to work! And I found out today Sophie is on holiday from the 25th of this month!