Lexington Reads discussion

Ready Player One (Ready Player One, #1)
This topic is about Ready Player One
group reads > "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bobby (new)

Bobby | 72 comments Mod
Use this as your home for all "Ready Player One" discussion! This is the 2014 One Book One Bluegrass title.

message 2: by Kit (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kit Will this be available as a seven day book?

message 3: by Bobby (new)

Bobby | 72 comments Mod
The Library always orders a large batch of extra copies before One Book gets underway...not sure if any of those will be 7-day.

Mari (mariadkins) | 53 comments WHOO!!

message 5: by Pat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pat Gerhard | 1 comments one of my favorite books!!! so glad the community is reading!!!

message 6: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Mar 09, 2014 03:39PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 0 comments Author Ernest Cline, seated left, signing my Ready Player One at Joseph Beth Bookseller booth, Fandimfest 2012. Seated right was then SFWA president author John Scalzi.

autographing book

(Sadly, the 2013 Fandimfest had no booksignings and no JoBeth).

message 7: by Bobby (new)

Bobby | 72 comments Mod
Awesome!!!

message 8: by Bobby (new)

Bobby | 72 comments Mod
Ernest Cline is the luckiest geek alive

The author of 'Ready Player One' reveals details about writing his next novel, 'Armada,' and the real-life space opera that is his life.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/11/549...

Harley (harley12) | 28 comments I read the first few chapters and simply can't get into it at all. I suppose never being interested in video games might be why, and as much as I like to finish books I've started, this one is going to the unfinished shelf.

message 10: by Mari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mari (mariadkins) | 53 comments for those of us reading and who have spotify, there's an official RP1 playlist at spotify. located here:

http://open.spotify.com/user/ernestcl...

you want to listen "as is" - don't put it on shuffle.

message 11: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary So far I really enjoy it! I don't play video games myself, but I know plenty of gamers. The knowledge I've absorbed from them does help me understand it. I personally love all of the 1980s references, probably because I am a child of that era.

message 12: by Bobby (new)

Bobby | 72 comments Mod
You can still come to our One Book programs! Liking the book isn't a prerequisite. :)

Harley wrote: "I read the first few chapters and simply can't get into it at all. I suppose never being interested in video games might be why, and as much as I like to finish books I've started, this one is goin..."

message 13: by Ann (new)

Ann | 14 comments I'm part of the "social security" generation and certainly am not interested in gaming, but the gist of the story is, as I see it, just a futuristic take on values. You might want to try again.

message 14: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary I think of it as a treasure hunt. Some of the reviews compare it to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and I think that's a good descriptions. The kids are looking for treasure in video games instead of chocolate bars. And I very much agree that it looks at the values of a futuristic society.

message 15: by S (new) - rated it 5 stars

S I work at a library, and since this is our community selection for the year, it's pretty much required reading for work. I haven't finished it yet, but I read the first page, and was instantly hooked. I tell everyone who asks me about it,"Read the first page. If you don't like it -- quit." I'm yet to see anyone quit. Everyone keeps reading to at least finish Chapter 0 before putting it down (to pick back up later), thus far. I think, if you're on the fence, and especially if you remember the 80s (or enjoy gaming), to give it a try. At worst, you've wasted 2 minutes reading the first page. At best, you've discovered your new favorite book. I think it's worth the gamble.

Rachel (coolrae1979) | 3 comments I didn't like this book during the first couple of chapters, but I'm at page 60 now. It was a slow build, but I'm really moving through it and enjoying it.

message 17: by S (new) - rated it 5 stars

S @ Rachel: I'm glad you gave it a try, and are at a point in the book where you feel you can enjoy it. For me and mine, that was the first page... but it does get more interesting as it goes along. I just finished the book today, so it took me over 3 weeks to read (not a lot of spare time, so I've only been able to do 10-20 pages a night). I definitely found it to be a good "right before bed" book, but I'm also a child-of-the-80s, original-Nintendo-playing nerd. However, I think people who aren't will still enjoy the book. (And I'm going to test that theory by giving my dad a copy for Father's Day.)

Rachel (coolrae1979) | 3 comments I just finished tonight. I think I really struggled to like Wade at first. He was a bit much at times (too brilliant in moments and IT guy smug), but I loved the book overall, and the 80s references kept me really excited.

message 19: by Chad (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chad Patterson | 9 comments I finished the book a couple of days ago. I read it over the course of about a week and enjoyed every bit of it.

While I don't play video games these days, I used to do so, mostly on the original NES and PC. I still do quite a lot of tabletop gaming, so the references to Dungeons and Dragons were a lot of fun for me.

I'm already looking forward to Mr. Cline's next book.

message 20: by Mari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mari (mariadkins) | 53 comments Chad wrote: "I'm already looking forward to Mr. Cline's next book"

cline's been so busy due to RP1 that his second offering seems to be a bit stalled. but still forthcoming.

message 21: by Kit (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kit My daughters and I enjoyed this book. I found it hard to get thru the first forty or fifty pages-but it started to pick up after that and became interesting. I found the ending to be very uplifting! If you are a child of the eighties, its a must read!

Shawntaye Hopkins | 10 comments ADORED! Read this book in 1 1/2 days. It was an amazing, fun roller coaster ride.