The Sundered Book Club discussion

The Reaver > The Reaver - Introductions

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chad (new)

Chad Peek (mordrim) | 255 comments Mod
Hello everybody,

While I admit that I am sad to be wrapping up The Adversary, I am also excited to see what Richard Lee Byers has in store in The Reaver.

The Reaver is the fourth book in The Sundering Series, and is the first to introduce us to a new character.

For anybody new who is joining the group, my name is Chad and I created the Sundered Book Club after our Wizards of the Coast Book Club was ravaged by a website redesign. I was upset at the prospect of not being able to share my thoughts with others and get new perspectives on some really fun Forgotten Realms novels, so I decided to try and recreate that book club on Goodreads. I am very happy I did, as I have met some people who bring great thoughts and discussions to the club, as well as being able to still discuss the books with some survivors from WOTC.

I look forward to discussing the next Sundering novel with the group and I hope to see some new names pop in the discussions.

message 2: by John (new)

John Hayes (jhayes27) | 159 comments I love the connection in this book to The Adversary.

message 3: by Dreaming (new)

Dreaming Isis | 78 comments Just an FYI, amazon is again having issues with the book, but Barnes and Noble is all over it. :)

message 4: by Chad (new)

Wow...Amazon is really struggling with some of these Sundering novels. Hopefully it gets sorted out quickly.

Is there anyone who is still waiting for their copy? I know a few people have already started the book.

message 5: by Dreaming (new)

Dreaming Isis | 78 comments They seem to be struggling with anything from WotC, I had issues with The Legacy of the Crystal Shard adventure and something else.
I am waiting for my copy from B&N to arrive, but I have an version on my Kindle, so I am ready to roll. :D

message 6: by David (new)

David Schwarm (davidschwarm) | 94 comments Mod
I am going with Kindle again on this one--seems like I have been pretty much all Kindle for the last year or so on WotC Books.

I have not ordered it yet--finishing up Way of Kings re-read getting ready for Ways of Radiance--the release of which will likely impact my reading of Reaver.

Do we know if Richard is going to be participating in our discussion of the Reaver? This is like a Pirate book with all new characters, right? or is there a bunch of historical Realms lore that the Candle Ceep Crew knows about that the rest of us will miss?

message 7: by Dreaming (new)

Dreaming Isis | 78 comments They are all mostly new characters (we met one of the characters in a previous Sundering novel).
Lore: I cannot answer this one since I am one of those that reads a lot and loves lore. I don't know what folks know and what they don't.

message 8: by Chad (new)

I have not spoken with Richard about joining us...I know, I am slacking...but he is aware that we are going to be reading it. He did comment on one of my Facebook posts where I mentioned that we would be starting it.

I will shoot him a message on Facebook at some point to invite him to come check out the comments and share some of the "behind the scenes" with us.

message 9: by Chad (new)

If anyone has regular contact with Richard, please feel free to extend an invitation. I just "friended" him on Facebook recently.

message 10: by Dreaming (new)

Dreaming Isis | 78 comments I sent him a message for you. :) Not that I have regular contact, but hey, I can helo out.

message 11: by Chad (new)

Thanks Dreaming. Besides, if more than one of mention it he might be that much more interested in stopping by to say "hello". If I remember correctly he participated quite a bit when we read The Captive Flame on the WOTC book club site.

message 12: by Richard (new)

Richard Byers (rleebyers) | 10 comments Hi, everyone. I hope you enjoy THE REAVER. I'll be dropping in on the discussion to answer questions, respond to comments, etc.

message 13: by John (new)

John Hayes (jhayes27) | 159 comments Welcome Richard. Look forward to your comments.

message 14: by David (new)

Found a good interview:
http://bit.ly/MaOZJG

This brought me joy:

let me assure Brotherhood of the Griffon fans that I’m not abandoning Aoth Fezim and the gang. I hope to continue that series as well.

Since I really like those books.

And this raised a lot of questions:

A novel absolutely had to end where and how the overall series outline said it should.

Was the outline put together at an authors summit or was it developed by WotC Game Designers? How long is this outline? Can we see a copy?

Also, it links to RLB's great Happy 40th Birthday, Dungeons & Dragons article:
http://bit.ly/1bVdDY7

message 15: by Chad (new)

Thanks David. I am very happy to hear that the Brotherhood of the Griffon is not going away.

message 16: by Richard (new)

Richard Byers (rleebyers) | 10 comments The overall series outline for War of the Spider Queen was indeed hammered out at a WotC authors summit. I'm afraid I no longer have a copy, nor can I even recall exactly how long it was. Not extremely long, though.

message 17: by John (new)

John Hayes (jhayes27) | 159 comments The sword fight scenes in this book is amazing. From what I have seen from Richards facebook page he used to be a fencer. I sure his knowledge of fencing contributed to his ability to write amazing sword fighting scenes.

message 18: by Richard (new)

Richard Byers (rleebyers) | 10 comments I still am a fencer. An old, slowed-down fencer, maybe, but I still do epee at Tampa Fencing Academy three times a week. Here lately, I've been doing a little sabre, too.

message 19: by John (new)

John Hayes (jhayes27) | 159 comments That sounds like a lot of fun. Unfortunately there is no were in my area to try it out. You can tell by you fight scenes that you are very passionate about it by the way you describe the sword fights. Amazing book. Two very unlikely "heros" that I would have never pictured in a million years working together

message 20: by David (new)

I don't have a lot of pirate fantasy experience--which doesn't sound right, but I hope you know what I mean. I did read Jackson's Pathfinder Tales: Pirate's Honor which I thought was very good & fun.

Are their some 'classics' in the genre that someone could recommend? Are their any great nautical themed novels or stories which were inspirational for this book?

message 21: by Richard (new)

Richard Byers (rleebyers) | 10 comments I don't know about pirate fantasy, but I like the historical pirate adventure novels of Rafael Sabataini: CAPTAIN BLOOD, THE SEA HAWK, etc.

message 22: by John (new)

John Hayes (jhayes27) | 159 comments What inspired a character like Anton Marivaldi. His seemingly want to do good but feels he must be bad due to his reputation?

message 23: by John (new)

John Hayes (jhayes27) | 159 comments David that did kind of sound bad lol. However the first thing that popped into my head was one of them girly harlequin books titled Shiver Me Timbers

message 24: by Richard (new)

Richard Byers (rleebyers) | 10 comments Once I knew I was going to have a pirate for a protagonist, I decided I didn't feel like writing the sort of jolly rogue you often see in pirate stories. By that, I mean I didn't want to whitewash the fact that pirates are ruthless killers for money.

So Anton had to start out as a genuinely bad guy. But since the novel is built around themes of hope, redemption, and new beginnings, he wasn't going to stay as bad as he starts out. Giving him the honorable, decent background that I did made his gradual transformation more plausible.

message 25: by David (new)

David Williams (davidiwilliams) I'm pretty new to the Realms. Before this year I had only read the Drizzt novels. While The Reaver is my first Byers book it will certainly not be my last. I usually don't like it when characters start off as evil murderers and turn into honorable people. Byers manages this so deftly I was enthralled. After the first few pages I was ready to dislike the book. I ended up absolutely loving it.

message 26: by David (new)

David Williams (davidiwilliams) If anyone is interested I have reviewed the book here on Goodreads.

message 27: by Richard (new)

Richard Byers (rleebyers) | 10 comments Thank you for the kind words and the review, David!

message 28: by John (new)

John Hayes (jhayes27) | 159 comments Are we putting this on hold. are there people still waiting on the book?

message 29: by Jonn (new)

Jonn (sleypy) | 48 comments John wrote: "Are we putting this on hold. are there people still waiting on the book?"
Amazon shipped my copy yesterday. So I'm still waiting.

message 30: by David (new)

David Williams (davidiwilliams) My hardcover came in from Amazon today. I have already read the book thanks to NetGalley. I guess that's one sign of a good book. Read a free ebook, then spend the cash to buy the hardcover.