RiseUp! discussion

Serious Discussions > Self Image

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (gwenhyver42) The way "beauty" is portrayed in media can often have a terrible effect –– particularly on women (but not confined to women). Here's a thread to discuss that.

message 2: by Dee, YOU'RE A MOD!! (new)

Dee | 2703 comments Mod
Sometimes it's tough even when you are Christian just because it's so easy to compare yourself to what is constantly bombarded at you via media. And it's all so fake. Photoshop gets ridiculous. All those people we see are not really as "flawless" as they are made out to be.

That is the best way to look at it. It's what I try to do as well. I know God made me beautiful just the way I am.

I have not read any of Beth Moore's books, but I do know she is an excellent speaker. I'll have to look into that book.

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (gwenhyver42) I haven't read that book. I have, however, read the Song of Songs, and that prettymuch seals it: God thinks I'm awesome, and that's about all that matters... (and He thinks the same of you, too!)

message 4: by Dee, YOU'RE A MOD!! (new)

Dee | 2703 comments Mod
Jennifer wrote: "I haven't read that book. I have, however, read the Song of Songs, and that prettymuch seals it: God thinks I'm awesome, and that's about all that matters... (and He thinks the same of you, too!)"

Indeed, so true!

message 5: by The Phantom (new)

The Phantom (zerosummations) | 1052 comments "Some girls aren't good Christians so"
You have no idea how badly that reads in a secular light.

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (gwenhyver42) The wording is a bit awkward, but I don't think it was meant in a derogatory way.

message 7: by The Phantom (new)

The Phantom (zerosummations) | 1052 comments Let's hope not.

message 8: by Mojoboy31, Kitchen Ninja (new)

Mojoboy31 | 3210 comments Mod
given the context, I don't think it was meant in a judgemental way.

message 9: by Louis(Andrew) (new)

Louis(Andrew) I eel kinda awkward coming into this thread being a dude and all but whatever.
For me personally, I just think I'm ugly on the outside, and on the inside. I don't think I'm a good person at all, I mean I look at other people and instantly notice how wonderful of a person they are inside and out, then I look at myself and think that if I died now, I would go to Hell because of the hatefulness that I feel for myself.

message 10: by Mojoboy31, Kitchen Ninja (last edited Apr 22, 2014 01:24PM) (new)

@Andrew: The bible says that the Lord is near the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit.
Don't think that your shortcomings make you any less worthy than anyone else.

Here's a few verses to chew on.

Romans 8:

"Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus."

2 Corinthians 12:

"And He has said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.” Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ’s sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong."

^^That one especially.

1 John 1:9:

"If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

message 11: by brooke1994 (last edited Apr 30, 2014 07:50PM) (new)

brooke1994  (formerlynarnian525) | 2099 comments Jennifer wrote: "The way "beauty" is portrayed in media can often have a terrible effect –– particularly on women (but not confined to women). Here's a thread to discuss that."

Agreed. I think the media needs to show more people who are average, instead of airbrushed, naked, or stick thin so more teens and kids can have positive elements to look up to. I was on Youtube and I started this 1955 burlesque movie, it was almost good but then I had to shut it off because I was disappointed that they started sexually exploiting women even back then. I mean those actresses were doing really suggestive moments so I guess sex selling in the media came earlier than I thought...

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (gwenhyver42) Narnian- Sexual exploitation has been around since the fall. Sad, but true.

message 13: by brooke1994 (last edited Apr 30, 2014 08:27PM) (new)

brooke1994  (formerlynarnian525) | 2099 comments Jennifer wrote: "Narnian- Sexual exploitation has been around since the fall. Sad, but true."

That's true.. oh well :/

message 14: by Mojoboy31, Kitchen Ninja (new)

Jennifer wrote: "Narnian- Sexual exploitation has been around since the fall. Sad, but true."

There's a reason why stone masonry isn't the 'world's oldest profession'...

message 15: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (gwenhyver42) Mojoboy31 wrote: "There's a reason why stone masonry isn't the 'world's oldest profession'..."
*coughs*
Yeah....

message 16: by Mojoboy31, Kitchen Ninja (new)

Jennifer wrote: "Mojoboy31 wrote: "There's a reason why stone masonry isn't the 'world's oldest profession'..."
*coughs*
Yeah...."

Juss' sayin': the exploitation's been around pretty much forever.

message 17: by brooke1994 (last edited May 01, 2014 05:00PM) (new)

brooke1994  (formerlynarnian525) | 2099 comments My question is: Why does sex sell so much? I mean, the media puts so much focus on it. It isn't even close to God's plan for human sexuality. Is it because it just makes people think that they're getting some sort of high off of it? Is it just because it's making people think that they feel good from seeing skin?

message 18: by The Phantom (new)

The Phantom (zerosummations) | 1052 comments "Is it because it just makes people think that they're getting some sort of high off of it? Is it just because it's making people think that they feel good from seeing skin?"

Your word choice is interesting here. They don't "think that they feel good" they simply "feel good". Of course, it has a larger proportionate affect on males...

message 19: by notyourfriend, ~Forgive Me~ (new)

notyourfriend (amemori) | 4058 comments Mod
The reason this world advertises it so much and it is increasingly getting shoved into peoples faces is because this world is evil. So of course that's why. The Bible says already that that is for just a man and his wife, something in which is barely followed in society.

message 20: by brooke1994 (new)

brooke1994  (formerlynarnian525) | 2099 comments Paigetwo *Caitlyn* wrote: "The reason this world advertises it so much and it is increasingly getting shoved into peoples faces is because this world is evil. So of course that's why. The Bible says already that that is for ..."

Agreed.

message 21: by notyourfriend, ~Forgive Me~ (new)

notyourfriend (amemori) | 4058 comments Mod
Narnian525♥♪ wrote: "Paigetwo *Caitlyn* wrote: "The reason this world advertises it so much and it is increasingly getting shoved into peoples faces is because this world is evil. So of course that's why. The Bible say..."

We keep agreeing on stuff, haha! XD

message 22: by brooke1994 (new)

brooke1994  (formerlynarnian525) | 2099 comments Paigetwo *Caitlyn* wrote: "Narnian525♥♪ wrote: "Paigetwo *Caitlyn* wrote: "The reason this world advertises it so much and it is increasingly getting shoved into peoples faces is because this world is evil. So of course that..."

lol xD

message 23: by The Phantom (new)

The Phantom (zerosummations) | 1052 comments Paigetwo *Caitlyn* wrote: "Narnian525♥♪ wrote: "Paigetwo *Caitlyn* wrote: "The reason this world advertises it so much and it is increasingly getting shoved into peoples faces is because this world is evil. So of course that..."

There's a simple explanation for that agreement...