The Book Was Better discussion

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
This topic is about The Hunger Games
BOOKS ON SCREEN > HUNGER GAMES (first book only)

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dana Burkey (danaburkey) | 1690 comments Mod
I have to say, one of the things the movie did that really annoyed me was shorted the games. By making it all happen in such a short time frame it took away some of the desperation that Katniss went though. Going a week without food is hard, but when it was more like two or three weeks in the book, it was much more intense for sure! And, they could have showed the passing of time easily, it did not need to be skipped over at all.

message 2: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam | 606 comments That pissed me off too! once I read the book... I saw movie first as I was travelling (5 months altogether but was in UK at the time) but no what really annoyed me was *spoiler alert... stop reading this now if you haven't read the book and want to* When at the end Peter lost his leg! WTF!

message 3: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yeah, that was a shocker for sure! I can understand coming from the movie viewpoint how that would be extra shocking, especially since in the movie his wounds were not all that series like in the book. But yeah, I have only read the books twice (too much emotions to put myself through that more) and I still forget he actually looses it sometimes! I don't fully disagree with it, but don't love it. That being said, I think his injuries in the movie NO WAY reflected the book. Sure, his one leg was bad, but it was much worse, hence making Katniss more desperate. Oh, and I was mad they took her drugging him out of the movie! It was sneaky and awful, but needed and wonderful all at once! haha

message 4: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam | 606 comments I know because she gets more packages from Haymitch and that had a whole back story of how she knew what was sent to her and where she used it before! plus it shows how alike she is to Haymitch! how he knows how to communicate with her though what he gives her!

message 5: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 5 stars

Exactly! They hint at it with the "You call that a kiss" note, but it was SO MUCH bigger than what they showed. That relationship sets up so much in the next book, not to mention shows that some of the romantic moments she has with Peeta was fueled by Haymitch leading her for more sponsors.

message 6: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam | 606 comments I know! plus she never knew Gale felt anything for her in the first book!!! that annoyed me cause they played that up in the film.

message 7: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yeah....I didn't hate that we got to see Gale back home really pining for her, but at the same time it just made it even more of a love triangle than it was in the book. And really, the first book as not about the love triangle. It was about survival! Maybe they were doing it so people would get excited for the love angle to be more prevalent in the second book, but really...I would have rather seen how her in the games was effecting her sister and mother and MADGE(a whole other thing I could rant on) if they were going to show reactions of people back home!

message 8: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam | 606 comments I know I mean how she really got the mockingjay pin! come on! like she would get anything for free in the black market!

message 9: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 5 stars

For real!!! They liked her....but not THAT much! haha

I also think it is so important to know that Madge got that pin from her mom who got it from her sister who died in the games! It shows how many people were effected for so long by the horribleness of the games! The fact that Madges mom was so messed up with headaches and all that when she wasn't even the one forced to be in the games just adds to the urgency for Katniss to be the mocking jay for them all!

message 10: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam | 606 comments I know! and how we dont see Peeta's dad come in to see off Katness and gave the cookies in the first book! i mean there was the whole story with how much he suffered and if he wasn't married would have taken care of Katniss's mum when the mining explosion happened... We dont see anyting of Peeta's family life really.

message 11: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam | 606 comments Also how they get more Morphine from her for Gale after the whipping!

message 12: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yeah, not having them there more was a real disappointment! I think the cookie scene is really powerful, and only adds to the fact that Peeta is willing to do anything to save Katniss since he is not planning on going home. Knowing that his dad loved Katniss mom just makes his love for her even more amazing and wonderful and perfect! I have when people say Peeta was a weak character, but really he was selfless and smart and that was way more important than any of the strength in the games seen in Cato or anyone else!

message 13: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam | 606 comments totally! coz as Katniss says no one decent ever wins the games! crap was that said in the first...? Ok forget i said that :)

message 14: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uh....I have not idea when that was from!! haha Maybe the first one? I think.... Could be!

I have to say, I still wish we knew the names of all the other kids...esp Fox Face!

message 15: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam | 606 comments haha u mean like gloss and cashmere?? District 1...

message 16: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam | 606 comments oh wait they're from second movie oops again! damn it haha

message 17: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 5 stars

LOL!!!!!

Marika | 187 comments I don't know how i missed this...

Totally agree about shortening the games. Making it last a few days instead of a few weeks cheapened the experience. It was almsot a joke.

At first I was mad about Peeta keeping his leg, but I'm over it now. However because of that they skipped one of the most crucial and vital scenes from the book! When Katniss flips out as they are pulling them into the hovercraft. Even she admits that was her best moment and its because she was genuinely concerned for him. that was the point where I knew she loved him.

Peeta's dad and the cookies! I was soo upset that they cut that scene. I'm upset in general how they protrayed her growing relationship with Peeta. In the book he is selfless, sacrificial, always putting Katniss first. They develope a real friendship even though its confusing for Katniss. In the movie he seems almost like a creep that has a juvenile crush on her and like he's getting in the way of this amazing love Katniss and gale share at home...But Katniss and Gale didn't share a love at home!! They were only friends! (at least in book 1)

message 19: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam | 606 comments I agree Peeta does look like he is encroaching and being creepy about it. But I really don't know WHY they put the "revelation of Gale's love for Katniss" in the first movie! Katniss is oblivious because there are more important things to deal with (like survival). But I just had to let it go....

Marika | 187 comments yeah it was annoying. Ultimately Katniss is all about saving her family...primarily Prim and her goals were always family orientted. And even taking Rue under her wing was because of how she was a reminder of Prim. Katniss, unlike most 16 year old girls, wasn't obsessed with having a boyfriend. She had legit priorities and its annoying that the first movie made it seem like having a boyfriend was one of her priorities

message 21: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 5 stars

For me, it was great that the whole first book was not about the love triangle! I mean....we all sort of saw it coming, but it was not about that in the games at all!! And the movie added it in there to add drama, and it was annoying. I think showing Gale at home was okay, but having Katniss have feelings about him already as well was NOT OKAY!!!

Marika | 187 comments Yeah I agree. And I really love the Hunger Games but I wish there wasn't a love triangle...I am never a fan of love triangles. I think there was more than enough stress and drama with the Games and the Capitol starving/murdering/abusing the people that there wasn't a need for a love triangle to add drama and plot. Oh well. I still love the books :)

message 23: by Jess (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jess The movie was felt like it was super long and boring to me.

message 24: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess wrote: "The movie was felt like it was super long and boring to me."

Really? I have not heard anyone say that about the movie before? Was there anything in particular that you found boring? Had you read the books first? I know for me if I know the story and I am looking forward to a certain scene sometimes I spend most of the movie waiting impatiently for that one moment! haha

message 25: by Jess (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jess I read the books and they were okay. The movie just wasn't good at all to me, it felt slow paced.

message 26: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hmmmm interesting. I have not heard that from others yet, but everyone sees movies different I guess! :)

Landen | 73 comments I read the Hunger Games series before it was cool, but after it got popular and everyone fantasized about it, it got old and unspectacular so I stopped caring all together.

Audra (DivergentHungerGames22) I don't care what you say this is my favorite movie and most likely my favorite book. The movie wasn't slow to me. The movie also isn't boring!

message 29: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam | 606 comments Me too! Loved them both equal (I saw movie first, which is shocking for me!).

Audra (DivergentHungerGames22) I usually don't watch the movie first. I didn't watch it first or after I read it. I watched the movie when I was in the middle of the book! :(

message 31: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 5 stars

After re-reading the books last year when Catching Fire came out, and then after watching all three last weekend I feel like Catching Firs is my favorite book. I think it's just more at stake with the games, and I love seeing Katniss finally fall for Peeta. But, without the first one there would be no basis for the rest of the series.

I also was thinking about it, and I feel like this book could be a stand alone in so many way with the way it was done. Like, it would be sad there was still a bad government and all that, but in so many ways it ends at a place where readers would get to make up the story in their mind and be good still. It was a random thought while I was cooking dinner or making cupcakes or something, so yeah! haha Basically, I feel like it was well written enough that if we did not live in a world where everything needs to have 3 books in a series, this would be a dramatic stand alone!

message 32: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam | 606 comments That's an interesting thought! I guess I feel the same way but I'm glad of the final scene in the third book. I guess for me it felt real. as much as books for me feel real! :D haha yes I know I'm crazy haha

message 33: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 5 stars

I think without that scene the books would not have been as loved. It was still a "sad ending" but it also was a "happy ending" in some way as well. Like....they were still a mess, but they were going to survive! Awe man, I want to cry just thinking about!!! hahah

message 34: by Dana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dana (harmonyslovehp) | 72 comments Catching Fire was my favorite too! I didn't like the last one as much, but that may have to deal with the person the dogs get (Right, it was those things from the first games?) and the fact that Peeta isn't in it a lot.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

I really liked the book, but was disappointed in the movie. I thought it could have been done much better than it was, especially at the end of the film, when the dog things attacked. It was so blurry and hard to follow!