Flights of Fantasy discussion

Fantasy > Overarcing Fantasy Series Themes

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Neely (ahrneely) I want to analyze the overarcing themes of fantasy novels. Does anyone have any ideas about this? What I'm specifically looking for are thematic arcs that follow through en entire fantasy series.

For example: I would argue that twelve of Robin Hobbs novels (as a series) deal with the theme of returning dragons to the world. Likewise, I would also argue that the entire Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind is really about protecting the land from the potential loss of magic (the threat to that magic personified by the Imperial Order and Emperor Jagang). One final example, the Percheron Trilogy by Fiona McIntosh is, ostensibly, about returning a lost goddess back to the world.

While each of these series contain their own [relatively] stand-alone novels (or trilogies), the group as a whole tell a single story relating to one specific theme.

I'd love to hear other examples.

message 2: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Eddings, maybe? Gemmell?

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 1381 comments Gemmell seems to me to have a heroic arc. From the overt examples of his characters like Drus who makes an Alamo like stand to Waylander (Dakeyras) who sets off on the road of revenge but still turns his life around we see people who find themselves facing long odds. Often they are facing disasters that come from their own bad decisions but still accept that and stand.

message 4: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Mike (the Paladin) wrote: "Gemmell seems to me to have a heroic arc. From the overt examples of his characters like Drus who makes an Alamo like stand to Waylander (Dakeyras) who sets off on the road of revenge but still tur..."

That's the beginning of a great thesis, sensei!

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 1381 comments I love Gemmell. I wish there were more of his books available in audio.

I still need to read the Troy books (the ones his wife finished).