Alpha Epsilon Phi Alumnae Book Club discussion

Social Discussions > On not having time/energy to read :-(

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizahyde) | 10 comments Mod
I realized last night I haven't been reading much lately and I think it is due to my brain being exhausted from doing coding for web development school all day. I wish I could be reading more but I just look at the pages and it looks like gibberish to me. Does anyone go through phases like this? Am I alone :-(

message 2: by Marla (last edited Feb 09, 2014 06:44PM) (new)

Marla | 8 comments Mod
I had this same discussion with a friend not two days ago. I think we came up with the possible solution of having an audio version of the book (whether through some assistive listening computer program that will likely put emphasis in the wrong places, or by listening to an audiobook) playing while you read along on your text copy. The idea came out of the educational theory that the more senses a person uses to learn something, the better they will retain the information. Looking + listening, talking + touching, and so on. We thought reading along was important because you still feel like you're reading, which was important to us because we wanted to be reading. (Like many people who read, we like the act of running our eyes across lines on a page.) I'd describe it as having help focusing. You can always turn the audio off if it interferes with your reading. And, if you realize you haven't been paying attention, then you can always go back in the audio and pick up wherever you remember focusing last.

message 3: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizahyde) | 10 comments Mod
Great suggestion!!

message 4: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (bhuggins) | 4 comments Mod
I've also found, if you drop the book you're feeling obligated to finish right now for something totally off the wall, you'll sometimes get a rhythm back with a new genre. you can always come back to the original book later :) But just be kind to yourself and don't judge if you're just not feeling it. The more you feel guilty, the less you'll want to read and face that guilt

message 5: by Marla (new)

Marla | 8 comments Mod
Brittany wrote: "I've also found, if you drop the book you're feeling obligated to finish right now for something totally off the wall, you'll sometimes get a rhythm back with a new genre. you can always come back..."

*Like.*