YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

Why We Broke Up
This topic is about Why We Broke Up
BUDDY READ: Contemporary/Romance > Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler - Restarting March 8th 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Tessa | 1951 comments Description: "I'm telling you why we broke up, Ed. I'm writing it in this letter, the whole truth of why it happened.

Min Green and Ed Slaterton are breaking up, so Min is writing Ed a letter and giving him a box. Inside the box is why they broke up. Two bottle caps, a movie ticket, a folded note, a box of matches, a protractor, books, a toy truck, a pair of ugly earrings, a comb from a motel room, and every other item collected over the course of a giddy, intimate, heartbreaking relationship. Item after item is illustrated and accounted for, and then the box, like a girlfriend, will be dumped."

I'm reading this with Lindsey, but anyone is welcomed to join us :) .

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I have the paperback version.

Tessa | 1951 comments Wha, so nice. I have a small library so I decided to invest in digital books before I get no more space for them :).
So, we could decide to read around 50 pages per day?

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm have no more space in my room but I have always liked the physical copy. Plus it was on sale which made it less money then the digital copy or I would have gotten it on my nook.

50 pages is great.

Tessa | 1951 comments So, I started reading this. So far, it's pretty awesome. I like the main character's voice. :)
So, we're keeping the ration of 50 pages. Will be back soon after I'm done with my 50p. ^^

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

So I'm done with the first 50 pages and I'm really liking it. I don't have a lot of time to write I'm about to leave to go to a concert.

But I too like the main character's voice. I think it's written in a very interesting way. And how she is telling us a story at the same time explaining why they are breaking up. I love the line "and that is why we broke up." It's used several times but not in a annoying way.

When I get home I might read the next 50 pages.

message 7: by Tessa (last edited Feb 16, 2014 03:26PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tessa | 1951 comments So far, I love it! :D I must admit that some of the repetitions are making me tired [when she tells all the things that go on in a day until she finally gets home and calls him. Those were 2 very long pages.]
But except that, this story is funny as hell in a sort of tragical way. From the beginning she knows he's no good for her, but he choose her, from all the girls he could have, he saw her. And that sort of thing does have a certain power over you. As much as we would like to say that we're not shallow and that we wouldn't go out with a gorgeous, but very unfitting, boy just because he asked us out... we probably would. We'd like to think we're searching for "soulmates", but really we're actually looking for a "face that we like" and if the soul turns out the be ok as well then it's a score. But how can you know a person if you don't actually "go out with him/her"? And that is the sad reason why a good looking person has more chance of finding his soulmate than the rest of the population. Life's an unfair bitch, guess we just need to deal with it XD.

Getting back to the story I really like Min and Joan as well. I think Ed's a douche, but that's because he was never educated to be better. I don't think he's bad at heart, just selfish and probably hurt as well. Because it looks to me that he's holding back a lot of himself from the main character (the part about not telling her anything about his mom).

I also sometimes get confused of all the movie references since I saw none of them. :(

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay. I'm almost at page 200.

Just know you are not alone on the movie references. I too have found myself getting confused. I feel like I should look them up to know what she is talking about.

Some of the book can be i guess you can say pointless or maybe shortened. But other then that I'm enjoying the book.

I think the reason she went with him even though she knew he was not good for her was because he gave her the attention. Like how you said. He could have picked any girl. But from when she first started talking about him I knew they did not belong together. The way he treated or what he called her friends.

I like Min and Al the most at the moment. Min is bringing a comedy factor to a situation that is usually sad and even depressing. I think she is sad but wants to cover it up.

Ed is a douche bag, I agree with you. Several times when he pretty much demanded she "watch him practice" or "go to the game" bugged me. Also he keeping calling Al gay even when she told me he is not gay.

I think in the end the breakup will be good for both of them.

Tessa | 1951 comments I'm only at page 150. Will read my 50 pages when I get back home from work :).

Right now, the truck chapter was very sad. How he wanted (view spoiler)

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I hated the truck chapter. Just really showed why I hate him.

I'm picking up from page 200 will be back later with my thoughts from there.

message 11: by Tessa (last edited Feb 20, 2014 03:10PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tessa | 1951 comments Just finished the Halloween chapter. I think I read a little over 250, but I couldn't help it. I'm so mad right now: (view spoiler)
Is it ok with you if we finish this read tomorrow? I don't think I can stop halfway with the last chapters :( .

message 12: by Tessa (last edited Feb 22, 2014 01:22PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tessa | 1951 comments So, I finished this one. Such an awesome book!
I loved the story, I loved the characters (except Ed) and I loved the vintage flavor this book had to it.
At times I even liked Ed and that's hard to achieve considering I knew he will break her heart. I like him because I saw him through her blinded love eyes and the fact that the author managed to show us both sides: real Ed and the Ed she saw while being in love is something rare. Here's an author that really knows to write a story.

Regarding the ending:
(view spoiler)

How did you feel about it Lindsey? I saw you gave it only 4 stars. I was almost going to do the same. I must admit that Min's voice was annoying at times, so were the repetitions, but in the end this book felt closer to me than others because of the similarities I found in it with my own life experiences. :)

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

OMG! I'm so sorry I just disappeared from here.

Yes I gave rated it 4 but really it was more of a 4.5 because I felt like at times parts were too long or could have been take out.

I really enjoyed the book overall. I loved how it was written with the one character telling us everything. I thought that was very interesting and cool. Like you said it got annoying at some times.

The vintage feel and the pictures were a great way to really spice the book up. I found myself really looking at each picture instead of just looking and turning the page. I loved them.

I agree with you on the author and being able to write a story. It was writing so nicely.

The ending (view spoiler)

Tessa | 1951 comments Hah, life happens and I guess experiencing the unpleasant parts of life can't be avoided. :P

Don't worry, it was ok. I knew you got distracted by something :P . I also love to read books with you. You're fun to talk to :) .

When do you want us to start Code Name Veirty? Do you still want to do it? :D

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes. I wish sometimes I can pause life. I have school and an internship that starts Monday and i have been trying to figure out how I can work go to school and internship.

Yes I still want to read it. I actually just picked the second book up by that author, I think it follows the one we will be reading. How about march 1?

Tessa | 1951 comments *sigh*
I need to read it this month for a challenge :( . It has a vehicle on the cover. XD
You sure you can't start before? I won't hurry you and I will discuss this with you later as well, but I need to read it this month :( .

I also have the second book, we can read that one in march :) .

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I can start it in like 2 days. So the 24th.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Sounds good for the second one.

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 83074 comments Mod
**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

Date Changed. Restarting June 17th 2016. Happy Reading ☺

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
************************************************************************************

Meaghan (ectophine) | 3626 comments Finally able to post my updates!

Meaghan (ectophine) | 3626 comments 8%
(view spoiler)

Meaghan (ectophine) | 3626 comments 16%
(view spoiler)

Meaghan (ectophine) | 3626 comments 25%
(view spoiler)

Meaghan (ectophine) | 3626 comments 57%
(view spoiler)

message 25: by Abbie (new)

Abbie | 27856 comments Mod
***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Reading from the 8th of March 2018

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Alaina (ameserole) 20%: (view spoiler)
40%: (view spoiler)
60%: (view spoiler)
80%: (view spoiler)
100%: (view spoiler)

message 27: by Andy (new) - rated it 1 star

Andy | 14092 comments Alaina wrote: "20%: [spoilers removed]
40%: [spoilers removed]
60%: [spoilers removed]
80%: [spoilers removed]
100%: [spoilers removed]"

Dang girl. I think I'll start this after Lioness Rampant :)

Alaina (ameserole) Andrea wrote: "Alaina wrote: "20%: [spoilers removed]
40%: [spoilers removed]
60%: [spoilers removed]
80%: [spoilers removed]
100%: [spoilers removed]"

Dang girl. I think I'll start this after Lioness Rampant :)"

I'll pray for you

message 29: by Andy (new) - rated it 1 star

Andy | 14092 comments Please do I started and am like maybe 10-15% through and it's already weird. Idk if I like the narrating style :/

Alaina (ameserole) Its weird throughout the whole thing!! I have it 2 stars

message 31: by Andy (new) - rated it 1 star

Andy | 14092 comments Alaina wrote: "Its weird throughout the whole thing!! I have it 2 stars"

rough, maybe I'll like it lol. Probably wont listen to anymore tonight tho because test :/

Alaina (ameserole) Andrea wrote: "Alaina wrote: "Its weird throughout the whole thing!! I have it 2 stars"

rough, maybe I'll like it lol. Probably wont listen to anymore tonight tho because test :/"

ahh good luck! I'm exhausted and I just got home from work!

message 33: by Andy (new) - rated it 1 star

Andy | 14092 comments Alaina wrote: "Andrea wrote: "Alaina wrote: "Its weird throughout the whole thing!! I have it 2 stars"

rough, maybe I'll like it lol. Probably wont listen to anymore tonight tho because test :/"

ahh good luck! ..."

You sound like you work a lot!

Alaina (ameserole) I do 😒

message 35: by Andy (new) - rated it 1 star

Andy | 14092 comments :/

message 36: by Andy (new) - rated it 1 star

Andy | 14092 comments 25% (view spoiler)

message 37: by Andy (new) - rated it 1 star

Andy | 14092 comments 38% (view spoiler)

message 38: by Andy (new) - rated it 1 star

Andy | 14092 comments 57% (view spoiler)

message 39: by Andy (new) - rated it 1 star

Andy | 14092 comments 77% (view spoiler)

message 40: by Andy (new) - rated it 1 star

Andy | 14092 comments Finished (view spoiler)

Cinthia | 5703 comments 16% (view spoiler)

Cinthia | 5703 comments 32% (view spoiler)

Cinthia | 5703 comments 50% (view spoiler)

Cinthia | 5703 comments 65% (view spoiler)

Cinthia | 5703 comments 82% (view spoiler)

Cinthia | 5703 comments Finished... (view spoiler)

Cinthia | 5703 comments Andrea wrote: "25% [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Cinthia | 5703 comments Andrea wrote: "38% [spoilers removed]"

Right! That rubber band piece got to me too... Hello! They were cooking! No respect...

Cinthia | 5703 comments Andrea wrote: "77% [spoilers removed]"

Well she is young and stupid!

Cinthia | 5703 comments Andrea wrote: "Finished [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

« previous 1