Highlander Romance discussion

Newbie needs a new book!

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ~~ Angie ~~ (last edited Feb 27, 2014 12:38PM) (new)

~~ Angie ~~ | 30 comments I have recently rekindled my love for romance novels and I seem to be infatuated with Highlanders!! I have read just s bout every book from

- Monica McCarthy
- Lyndsey sands
- Connie Mason
- Judy Garwood
- Eliza Knight
- Paula Quinn
- Donna Flether
- Julianne MacLean
- Lisa Kleypass

The help I need is.... Where can I find a really good, steamy, passionate, strong alpha male type story line that does not have time travel or children involved.

I have snooped on hear since September and appreciate your advice. I have become addicted to Highlanders story line from most if the books that have been recommended here.

BTW, really glad to have joined this thread as well as GR.

message 2: by Tal (new)

Tal How about Michelle Willingham and Julianne MacLean?
They have some pretty good highland books (non time travel and none kids). A Kingdom of Dreams by Judith McNaught is one of the classics.

message 3: by ~~ Angie ~~ (new)

~~ Angie ~~ | 30 comments Tal

I have read all of Julianne's books **slapping head*** I can't believe I forgot her. I have not tried Michelle. I read awesome reviews from Judith McNaught "Almost heaven" but unfortunately you can't get it on kindle :/

I thank you for your help. I know I'm picky about the kid part but I have my reasons I guess :(.

Julie  aka trouble.. (jules1965) | 5 comments ~~ Angie ~~ wrote: "I have recently rekindled my love for romance novels and I seem to be infatuated with Highlanders!! I have read just s bout eSeduction of a Highland Lassvery book from

-Monica McCarthy
-Lyndsey sands
-Connie Mason
-Judy Ga..."

Hey,have you tried Maya banks she's got a few highlander series inIn Bed with a HighlanderThe Highlander Series 3-Book Bundle they are really good...

❆ Crystal ❆ (crystal_wright) I was just going to say Maya Banks... she has HOT Highlanders.

I also like
Mary Wine
Emma Wildes
LOVE - Kinley MacGregor
Donna Fletcher
Lynsay Sands

I have a folder for Highlanders and you're welcome to check out my books and ratings.
https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 6: by ~~ Angie ~~ (new)

~~ Angie ~~ | 30 comments Julia and Crystal

Ugh..I forgot Maya Banks!! I love her!! She is by far my favorite. I believe I found her through GR.

I just read 2 books last week from Kinely Mac- "Master of Desire and Born in Sin". Both amazing books!! The problem is...once I finish reading 5 star books like these, I start to get a panic attack trying to find another book to top the last one off. And it becomes a desperate vicious cycle!!

Aww... Maya's "In bed with a big highlander" started it all. I'm a sucker for Highlanders!! In fact, planning on going to Scotland in June.

Thanks again my highland sisters!

message 7: by Karen (last edited Feb 12, 2014 01:23AM) (new)

Karen (karenbarr) | 77 comments ~~ Angie ~~ wrote: "I have recently rekindled my love for romance novels and I seem to be infatuated with Highlanders!! I have read just s bout every book from

-Monica McCarthy
-Lyndsey sands
-Connie Mason
-Judy Ga..."

I have read the authors you've mentioned, and whilst not as light reading, Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series is outstanding? Have you looked into that series? It was the series that got me hooked on Highlanders.

Another Highland tale I enjoyed and have re-read is Teresa Reasor's Highland Moonlight, but a pregnancy is part of that story.

message 8: by Caroline2 (new)

Caroline2 | 8 comments Have you read Paula

Quinn and hannah howell?
But my best choices always Julie Gawood

message 9: by Caroline2 (new)

Caroline2 | 8 comments Have you read Paula

Quinn and hannah howell?
But my best choices always Julie Gawood

message 10: by ~~ Angie ~~ (new)

~~ Angie ~~ | 30 comments Karen,

I thought about reading Outlander but have been hesitant because of time travel. But, I may be wrong.

Caroline,

I just finished Julia Quinn "LORD of Seduction" ~ I love Julia Quinn.

I have also read Margaret Mallory and she is also good. I crave the passion, seduction, steamy sex, great buildup, a couple injuries, a kidnap or two and I am happy!

I hear bagpipes playing.... time to read again!!

BTW I'm new on any type of forum, I'm not sure the proper etiquette, I may make a few mistakes here and there and for that I am sorry. I would like to say i am so happy to have found this group on GR! Your advice is very much appreciated! !

message 11: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenbarr) | 77 comments ~~ Angie ~~ wrote: "Karen,

I thought about reading Outlander but have been hesitant because of time travel. But, I may be wrong.

Caroline,

I just finished Julia Quinn "LORD of Seduction" ~ I love Julia Quinn.

I..."

Caroline, I'm not a fan of time travel either and even to this day will bypass a book for that reason, yet Outlander is my all-time favourite series of books. It did take me a few goes to get started on it.

I think one of the reasons that it works so well is that the story starts in 1943, post war, rather than the present day and age. I read a time-travel last year where the Heroine took her mobile phone and was taking photos and showing the Hero. That kind of time travel doesn't really appeal to me.

I assure you once Claire goes through the stones to 1743 you will be immersed in all the Highland glory.

I would suggest its worth a try. Maybe you could borrow it from the library?

Also have you read Jennifer Ashley? I will go through my Highlander book shelf and see what else I might be able to recommend.

message 12: by ~~ Angie ~~ (new)

~~ Angie ~~ | 30 comments ~Karen~

About the Outlander, you have me a great idea! I will go to library and give it a try. I laughed so hard at your comment about "cell phone" oh my gosh... why!! Ugh! That's why I don't want time travel.

Does the Outlander series have the same couple each book? I have only read one J. Ashley and it was "The many sins of Lord McKenzie". I liKed it, but I didn't love it. It didn't have enough of Scotland. I did enjoy the steamy parts!

Julie  aka trouble.. (jules1965) | 5 comments ~~ Angie ~~ wrote: "~Karen~

About the Outlander, you have me a great idea! I will go to library and give it a try. I laughed so hard at your comment about "cell phone" oh my gosh... why!! Ugh! That's why I don't wan..."

You will like the outlander series it includes main characters and there family's it's pretty good.

message 14: by ❆ Crystal ❆ (new)

❆ Crystal ❆ (crystal_wright) I'm reading the 2nd Outlander book right now and I'm not a big time-travel fan either, but it just works with these books... At least so far, but I do plan to read more in the series.

message 15: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenbarr) | 77 comments ~~ Angie ~~ wrote: "~Karen~

About the Outlander, you have me a great idea! I will go to library and give it a try. I laughed so hard at your comment about "cell phone" oh my gosh... why!! Ugh! That's why I don't wan..."

The Outlander series mainly follows Jamie and Claire. I don't want to give away any spoilers as to what happens. There are many different clans and family members in the stories as well. I hope you get the opportunity to try the series, I don't think you will regret it.

From memory Ian McKenzie's story was set in London quite a lot. Others in the series Scotland is the main setting. Ian's book was a little different than the others due to his autism. I would continue on with the series as they sound like something you would like. I do believe they get steamier too!

Some other Highland authors that haven't been mentioned that I've enjoyed are:
Karen Marie Moning
Mary Wine
Terri Brisbin
Kresley Cole
Debbie Mazzuca
Elaine Coffman
Jude Devereaux

Also Kathleen Given's wrote some wonderful highland romances, sadly she passed away.

message 16: by Caroline2 (last edited Feb 14, 2014 10:40AM) (new)

Caroline2 | 8 comments Hi Angie, you see i've got problems just like yours....
I do untill now still uneasy to read outlander, but i saw it got the highest rating and comments in goodreads. I just accidentally look it's movie tittle in Imdb, and finally i'm willing to try..... but until now still hesitate....

About Lord of seduction i like it too, enthralled!
Don't forget the Macleod and Campbell from Monica Mcarty awesome!

message 17: by ~~ Angie ~~ (new)

~~ Angie ~~ | 30 comments Karen,

Wonderful and plentiful choices of Authors. Thank you for taking the time to look for me.

Im will try the Outlander series... I might wait a little longer. I'm afraid if I start that adventure now my kindle will explode.

message 18: by Caroline2 (new)

Caroline2 | 8 comments Buahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha, why... it will explode
I know what you mean, mine too. I'm on the kingdom of dream, Judith Mcnaught! even I'm in page 15

message 19: by ~~ Angie ~~ (new)

~~ Angie ~~ | 30 comments Caroline,

I want to read that book so bad! How did you find it? On kindle?

message 20: by Jocelin (new)

Jocelin | 287 comments Paula Quinn's "Children of the Mist" series is really good. I also enjoyed Donna Grant's Dark Sword series. It's really good.

message 21: by Caroline2 (new)

Caroline2 | 8 comments Hi Angie how do you do?
Omg i just finished Westmoreland saga and sequel from Judith Mcnaught. It is marvelous story, my second best writer is her after Julie Garwood. The Sequel Series make me laugh on the other side my heart is skipping a beat, it's a delightful story yet so intrigued. My fave Heroine is Victoria and Alexandra, in westmoreland i like kingdom of dream and until you...... for the whitney story i'm not so satisfied but i love the story because it will contain and had connected with the other stories. FYI you should read sequel story the wesmoreland because he isthe last bachelor who is going to get mmarried, all of them was in friend circle.

message 22: by ~~ Angie ~~ (new)

~~ Angie ~~ | 30 comments Caroline2 wrote: "Hi Angie how do you do?
Omg i just finished Westmoreland saga and sequel from Judith Mcnaught. It is marvelous story, my second best writer is her after Julie Garwood. The Sequel Series make me la..."

Hey Caroline! Great to hear again from you! I want to read the Westmorland saga but unable to find on Amazon.

How can I find it for my Kindle? I am so sad :( I must read this... if I have to purchase a "book" to do it.

message 23: by Shay (new)

Shay (shaylyn318) I just finished The Devil Wears Plaid by Teresa Medeiros It is really good.

message 24: by Laura (new)

Laura (highlandhussy) | 654 comments Shay wrote: "I just finished The Devil Wears Plaid by Teresa Medeiros It is really good."

I really liked that one!

message 25: by Caroline2 (new)

Caroline2 | 8 comments ~~ Angie ~~ wrote: "Caroline2 wrote: "Hi Angie how do you do?
Omg i just finished Westmoreland saga and sequel from Judith Mcnaught. It is marvelous story, my second best writer is her after Julie Garwood. The Sequel..."

Angie,

Did you get the book ? have you read it?

message 26: by Caroline2 (new)

Caroline2 | 8 comments Laura the Highland Hussy wrote: "Shay wrote: "I just finished The Devil Wears Plaid by Teresa Medeiros It is really good."

I really liked that one!"

hi Laura, can you tell me what kind story is it?thanks i would like to read that book too....

message 27: by ~~ Angie ~~ (new)

~~ Angie ~~ | 30 comments Caroline2 wrote: "Laura the Highland Hussy wrote: "Shay wrote: "I just finished The Devil Wears Plaid by Teresa Medeiros It is really good."

hi Laura, can you tell me what kind story is ..."

Caroline,
This is a very-very good book!!

message 28: by Laura (new)

Laura (highlandhussy) | 654 comments Caroline2 wrote: "Laura the Highland Hussy wrote: "Shay wrote: "I just finished The Devil Wears Plaid by Teresa Medeiros It is really good."

I really liked that one!"

hi Laura, can you tell me what kind story is ..."

It's a fun one :)

Here's my review, if it helps.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...