Casual Readers discussion

Buddy Reads > Buddy read

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leanne (new)

Leanne | 13 comments I've just started 'girl A' only on page 48.. Anyone want to join me.. It's £3.49 on iBooks :) x

message 2: by Angie (new)

Angie | 623 comments Who's the book by Leanne?

message 3: by Leanne (new)

Leanne | 13 comments Hi Angie. I'm not sure the authors name isn't on it as its a girls memoirs and she's remaining anonymous. Possibly Nigel Bunyan from the credits at the front. But it's called 'Girl A - My Story' - the truth about the Rochdale sex ring by the victim who stopped them.

It's about the sex ring in Heywood that was in the news last year. It's got a black cover with a face of a young dark haired girl and Girl A written in pink. It's in my currently reading shelf if you can see it. The ISBN is 978-0-09-195134-4

Does that help???
Leanne x

message 4: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC OMG, this appears to be a heart-wrenching story indeed.

Girl A The truth about the Rochdale sex ring by the victim who stopped them by Girl A

Girl A: The truth about the Rochdale sex ring by the victim who stopped them

message 5: by Angie (new)

Angie | 623 comments Thanks Chuck I've just downloaded it. This happened about 6miles from my house so I feel the need to read it. So Leanne I'm joining in the buddy read and I'll catch up by tomorrow:)

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Six miles from your house? That's just creepy.

message 7: by Angie (new)

Angie | 623 comments It is creepy, I've got extended family that live in Heywood. And there is nothing in the town for kids to do. Shops closed down even the supermarket moved out of the town centre. Its still a shock to have things like this on your own doorstep.

message 8: by Leanne (new)

Leanne | 13 comments It is freaky when you know the area. I was hooked on it last night. I went online and googled 'daddy' so I could picture him .. Very good book I think so far

message 9: by Angie (new)

Angie | 623 comments I did the same, I just needed to know what was in the papers. And there they were. The book is harrowing, that Hannah got through it enough to even survive let alone get this book published shows how strong she is.

I know the area quite well, and the recession has just made it worse for people. Its quite scary to think that things like this are happening to such an extent.

message 10: by Angie (new)

Angie | 623 comments It took Hannah a long time to get help (view spoiler)

message 11: by Leanne (new)

Leanne | 13 comments Where are you up to Angie?? I'm about 120 pages in now

message 12: by Angie (new)

Angie | 623 comments You're up early like me! I've been up most of the night tonight reading and looking up books. I'm quite far in but I always keep to where the talk is up to.

Hannah was treated terribly by the police at first I thought. Even if that PC thought she had taken money for sex she was still only 14/15. Below the age of consent.
That Emma scares me.

message 13: by Leanne (new)

Leanne | 13 comments Emma scares me... On the Internet when reading about the trial there is no mention of her.. Wonder what happens to her, and why she's not mentioned??

I was appauled at the amount of time it took them to arrest the two people she told the police about when she was arrested the first time.. It's disgusting.

message 14: by Angie (new)

Angie | 623 comments How old to you reckon Emma was? I can't figure that out. She seems like she's a lot older than Hannah but then there are comments that kind of say she was only 15. I could find no mention of her on line either but the other girls weren't either.

message 15: by Leanne (new)

Leanne | 13 comments Hi I think Emma was 15.. This is the Wikipedia link look under the abuse tab she's mentioned there. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rochda... x

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Hope I can find the time to read this one day. I have been following the discussion and it really seems like something I would be interested in.

message 17: by Angie (new)

Angie | 623 comments Its a hard book to read Cindy. This girl suffered so much, and was let down by the police and social survices. Just one other child that 'fell through the cracks' as they say over here. I don't know how they describe cases like this in the USA.

I read the link Leanne, so Emma was described as the Honey Monster. That she truly was only 15 and she was delivering young girls to be used by these men seems unbelievable. But she was still trying to get Hannah back for so long. Do you think it was for more sexual abuse or violence in the form of being beaten up badly? Or even to make her disappear so there could be no court case?

message 18: by Leanne (new)

Leanne | 13 comments Hi Angie have you finished this now... I had a bit of a nightmare at home and so not read as much this week. I'm up to Christmas now where she goes home for a bit, but Emma still has a grip on her.

I feel so sorry for her when Jane ( for the clinic) came Into school and trying to get her to open up, I was willing her to have the strength and courage

message 19: by Angie (new)

Angie | 623 comments It is a very hard book to read. It was a good ending though, I'm glad it ending on a positive note for her.

message 20: by Addy (new)

Addy | 379 comments Anyone buy the wood cutter? If neone wants to buddyread it let me know. Looks good!

message 21: by Angie (new)

Angie | 623 comments Who's that by Addy? I've looked up The Woodcutter but there's several books with the same name. I'll read it with you though:)

message 22: by Addy (new)

Addy | 379 comments Kate Danley. May start mid April if that's cool. I'll remind you too. Have a million reads to get thru! I know u must too! The Woodcutter is on sale today only so I hope u don't miss it.

message 23: by Angie (new)

Angie | 623 comments That's sounds great Addy, I caught it in the sale I think. It was cheaper to by kindle by half so I downloaded it:) Just remind me when you want to start. I've only got Abominable to finish really, I've got lots I'm reading but that's the buddy read book.