The Next Best Book Club discussion

Book Related Banter > best way to get audio books ???

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sookie Cullen (new)

Sookie Cullen I have never listened to a book. But I really want to make the most of my time. What are the best apps or places to buy audio books... Thanks in advance for your time and input.

message 2: by John (last edited Feb 09, 2014 07:46AM) (new)

John (johnred) audiobooks are awesome!

1. Your local library should have plenty of audiobooks on CD, and probably some digital on their website.

2. Look for Amazon's "Whispersync" books, which allow you to buy the kindle book AND the audio book, often for only $15-20 or less. Which is a significant discount from full priced audiobooks...Just yesterday I discovered you can get The Shining for about $10!
I think Amazon's audiobooks require you to listen to them through Audible, but there should be multiple ways to do that. I don't have a smartphone, but I can use my ancient iPod touch :)

message 3: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10035 comments Mod
A lot of people use Audible.com, but I love downpour.com, they have killer sales and low rates on audiobooks!

message 4: by Vee (new)

Vee | 1 comments Hi, you may be able to "check out" books from your library. If you download the Overdrive Media app you can connect to your library and download books.

message 5: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 616 comments I use audible for the most part - because they have a pretty decent app for most smartphones - its basically a subscription service - you can buy 1 or 2 credits a month, which is 1 or 2 audiobooks (all books are 1 credit each) - I think the 1 credit option is about $15 - but you also get discounts on all their other books and thye have insane sales - right now, they have a first in series sale, with like 400 books that are #1 in series - i've found some good stuff that wy

I also use my library quite a bit- either CD's, or downloads from overdrive

message 6: by Sookie Cullen (new)

Sookie Cullen Thank you all for the help! I have downloaded Aubible and will check out my library and your other recommendations!

message 7: by Stephen (last edited Feb 14, 2014 05:59AM) (new)

Stephen Richter (stephenofllongbeach) | 46 comments This is the best way, First start with a book you love or an author. I started with Jane Austin. I knew all the plots so it was easy to follow along. Next I got an Audible membership. Then I got a library card from the biggest library in my area, Los Angeles County. Their e media is the best. I have a Creative Art's Zen MP3 player and 99% of the audio can be downloaded on to it. IPOD is the best, but to pricy for me. Android Phone will also except some books, but they are not many. Last there is nothing like a Narrator that matches the spirit of the book, it can be magical. I tell everyone an audio book is like a one person play in your head.

message 8: by SthTx Dawn (new)

SthTx Dawn (dawn99) | 56 comments My favorite way to get audio books is through my local library's use of Overdrive media. Also, great websites for free audio versions of the classics are books should be free and librivox.

message 9: by J. (new)

J. Bennett (jbennett_gwbw) | 7 comments I just started an Audible.com subscription. I was originally worried that one audio book a month wouldn't be enough, but it turns out that I don't drive as much as I thought! I really like the phone app. The best thing is that you can return a book a pick out a new one if you don't like it. Sometimes you just never know if you will get into a book, and the narrator plays a big role in the enjoyment of a book. I was afraid that I would choose a book that I didn't like and be stuck with it, but I was able to return it no problem. I love the next book I picked out and am currently listening to.